Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Aldi Medion PDA Vs Ipaq 2210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Aldi Medion PDA Vs Ipaq 2210

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mixer25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Aldi Medion PDA Vs Ipaq 2210 Reply with quote

How does the Aldi Medion fare against the HP Ipaq 2210 in speed, resolution etc?

I know the package is good but I already have sat nav etc and just looking for a good PDA to use with TomTom.

Any ideas?

Thanks

M
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resolution is the same on all Pocket PC's, all 400MHz XScale based PDA's are roughly the same speed, and all come with 64MB these days. The things that distinguish them are quality of screen, wireless comms and additional software.

The latest HP's are have the best and brightest screens, and I'm very pleased that the Medion is almost as good, far better than the early Toshibas and iPaq 5400 series. Infact even at the Medions lowest brightness level its usable in the daytime, and slighly too bright for night driving.

The h2210 has both bluetooth and WLAN built in, where as the Medion doesn't have either, but then it does cost roughly twice as much. Both can be added to the Medion with SDIO cards (I've sucessfully used a Socket SDIO WLAN), but as there is only one slot, you cant use this at the same time as the sat nav as it requires the memory card to be present.

The HP's do tend to come bundled with a few extra utlities, depending on the model, the Medion also has a few extras over the base Pocket PC 2003 installation. But there is nothing which you cant find as freeware on the many sites catering for PDAs these days.

If you already have the sat nav and Tom Tom, and want a good PDA, any of the more expensive HP range would be worthwhile to get the additonal built in wireless facilities. But if you want primarily want a sat nav system more than a standalone PDA, the Aldi bundle will save at least 150 quid over the seperate parts and anything up to 400 quid over an iPaq + TomTom GPS bundle.

Cheers
---Dave
MrWhippy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI the 2210 does NOT have integrated wireless lan.

It does have integrated bluetooth.
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right I was thinking of the higher model we have. The h2210 described as integrated bluetooth, and WLAN ready. Which means you can add the same SDIO card as for the Medion, which are retailing at around 100 gbp.

Cheers
---Dave
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPAQ 2210 has a CompactFlash slot, which allows the use of a CompactFlash 802.11b wireless LAN card. These tend to be a little cheaper than their SDIO cousins, and allow you to leave an SD memory card in the machine at the same time.

It seems common for users of machines that have both an SD(IO) slot and a CompactFlash slot to use the SD slot for memory and the CompactFlash slot for bits and pieces that you change round - including various I/O cards.

David
Wim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWhippy wrote:
FYI the 2210 does NOT have integrated wireless lan.

It does have integrated bluetooth.
:|

Can I recieve eMail on this Aldi offer Medion?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
It seems common for users of machines that have both an SD(IO) slot and a CompactFlash slot to use the SD slot for memory and the CompactFlash slot for bits and pieces that you change round
Although I agree with this choice (SD for memory, CF for devices), some of the SatNav software programs have historically had problems accessing SD memory cards for mapping data whilst using a BlueTooth GPS. I don't know if this is still the case, but it is something to consider.

Although the Aldi deal has no built in Bluetooth, nor need for it (the GPS is a wired type), so it's not a big problem in this case Smile

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
DavidW wrote:
It seems common for users of machines that have both an SD(IO) slot and a CompactFlash slot to use the SD slot for memory and the CompactFlash slot for bits and pieces that you change round
Although I agree with this choice (SD for memory, CF for devices), some of the SatNav software programs have historically had problems accessing SD memory cards for mapping data whilst using a BlueTooth GPS. I don't know if this is still the case, but it is something to consider.

It seems that problems with the use of SD cards for map data are more with bad SD cards (Sandisk controllers, particularly older variants) than with the use of SD cards per se.

However, as with all generalisations, someone will find a case that breaks the general rule!

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: