Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 6 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 6 maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pd123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: tomtom 6 maps Reply with quote

how old will tomtom 6 maps be.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeleAtlas release Q2 or maybe even Q3 of 2006. So this means they are on average about two years out of date, but may actually have some of the newer changes.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gekko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you are talking about newer maps than the v650 available for the Go x10 series? These maps were released earlier this year, so they are Q4 2005 at best...
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are TeleAtlas release Q2 or Q3 not supposed (at last) to include full mapping of Eire?

The information on the TT website says that Eire mapping will be Dublin and major roads outside that.

Sounds like V650 - TomTom wouldnt want to upset their loyal 610 / 710 / 910 buyers by releasing TTN with more recent maps thereby making theirs out of date would they Sad
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the TT site. Compatibility doesnt include Dell X50V so I feel happy staying with my Destinator V6!

TomTom also keep up their statement:-

Quote:
Door-to-door navigation throughout the whole of Western Europe.
All the newest TeleAtlas maps are now available in a DVD pack, allowing you to find your way to any address in Western Europe.

Coverage:
Great Britain, Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Andorra

Street network coverage:
A: 99%, AND: 99%, B: 99%, CH: 99%, D: 99%, DK: 99%, E: 99%, F: 99%, FIN: 99%, FL: 99%, GB: 99%, I: 99%, L: 99%, MC: 99%, N: 99%, NL: 99%, P: 84%, RSM: 99%, S: 99%, SCV: 99%.

Eire is not part of Great Britain (and neither is Northern Ireland for that matter) - how can you navigate to "any address in Western Europe" when this does not include Eire? Has someone towed Ireland away Laughing

They are also keeping up their claim of "All the newest TeleAtlas maps are now available" when by the time TTN6 users get their hands on them they probably wont be the latest version. They caught me out with TTN5 supplied with out of date maps - v605 and 632 had been around for 6 months yet in the CD pack of TTN5 was supplied with versions 5xx which TT and the retailer claimed was "the latest".

Dont like TomTom Evil or Very Mad
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you ahve a read of some of the articles here it takes around a year for the updates from tele atlas to hit the tomtom web site but it also takes teleatlas quite some time to compile the data and put it into a CD. realistically I think the latest maps from tomtom are from data collected 3 years ago.

The truth is, your AA atlas you get for £4.99 in the local petrol station is more upto date than your £499 tomtom GO. This is one area that technology is lacking. Dont get me wrong, I fully appreciate the effort that goes into such a device. It just sad that they cant streamline the whole distribution process. What we need is incremental updates so as soon as data is updated by teleatlas this little bit is fed to the end user as quickly as possible. Rather than compile, send to tomtom, recompile, wait 12 months, make a release and user downloads.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: