Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - so who's gonna buy v6 at (say) £80 - £100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

so who's gonna buy v6 at (say) £80 - £100
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: so who's gonna buy v6 at (say) £80 - £100 Reply with quote

Having always upgraded on the day of release this time I think I'll wait and see.

My pda is 18 months old, my bt gps battery is screwed and my windscreen mount isn't that great.... So I could have to upgrade the lot and then a Go or Navman all in one may make more sense....

Also with all the screw ups that normally occur in tomtom Vx.0's I think I'd wait for the first bug fix first...

What do others reckon?
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on this, I'm not looking to upgrade for at least 6 months
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im currently not looking to upgrade at all. V5.21 is running on my partners iPAQ 4150 and does everything we need right now.
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always upgraded pretty soon after a new version has come out. But on this occasion I think I'll give it a miss, as no upgrade discount gives me little incentive to spend £80. The current maps work fine for most of my journeys so the additional features (?!!) and the latest maps are not worth the price of a full purchase to me. It will certainly make me look around at what other alternatives are available.

I have no interest in an all-in-one system as I've only recently moved over to an XDA Exec and the reason for that purchase was to get away from the multiple device hassle. I want everything integrated into a single device and it isn't GO shaped!

Reteb
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after all the hasles i had with my xda2i i think i might wait and see ,and as they have taken the incentive away by not giving us a upgrade offer this time ,and as far as i can see there is not much difference except for maybe newer maps ( but even there i do wonder looks like the a21 bypass is not there)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tom continually shoot themselves in the foot by bringing out software that has not been properly tested and expect their paying customers to do the testing for them.

Just look at the problems with the new TT One at the moment - at least 3 major bugs!

So I am going to wait a few months and then decide what to do. When I do it might not even be TT again!
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is what TomTom call a new release I would think the main problem is going to be on just how many existing PDA's the new version 6 will actually work on. Their compatability list is very short on choices at the moment, £80 - £100 is a lot to pay out only to find it won't work on you current device when you get it.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Tom Tom continually shoot themselves in the foot by bringing out software that has not been properly tested and expect their paying customers to do the testing for them.

Isn't that what we do with all software?

Since every PDA is different due to the varying software, configuration and uses each is put to it must be extremely difficult to comprehensively test for compatibility - when do you stop?

What I feel TomTom should do is test with each OS and then state whether or not V6 will work and, if they find problems, what the problems are. That would help us as potential purchasers decide whether to take the plunge or not - I need to know, I use an Dell X3 currently not listed.....
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can hardly use that argument with their TT One can they? They only had one unit (their own) to test it on and they still could not get it right. No wonder they had problems with the X10 range as well - they had three whole units to test it on - poor things, it must have been real hard work.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
They can hardly use that argument with their TT One can they? They only had one unit (their own) to test it on and they still could not get it right. No wonder they had problems with the X10 range as well - they had three whole units to test it on - poor things, it must have been real hard work.

Quite right, they can't but this topic isn't (wasn't) about that.
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why it is that if you own one of the TomTom AIO units you get the Version 6 upgrade free of charge but all other users have to pay for their up-grades.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you only get the app free - not new maps.

the nav 6 app will be downloadable before long I'm sure (the updates are all ways full versions) - but they will like us will have to pay for newer maps.

V6 isn't worth the bother of discussion - just the quality of the maps and the date and what is and isn't included in them.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
What I feel TomTom should do is test with each OS and then state whether or not V6 will work and, if they find problems, what the problems are. That would help us as potential purchasers decide whether to take the plunge or not - I need to know, I use an Dell X3 currently not listed.....

Not TomTom I know, but TTN6 works fine on my iPAQ5555 with WM2003 but doesn't work with my iPAQ3970 with OS PPC2002.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
I use an Dell X3 currently not listed.....

Spook, if you look at this post it appears that TT will not activate a product if it is not running on a listed device. In the post I mention, the owner needs to de-activate/re-activate, so it might be that if you buy Nav 6 as a new product you can then manually activate it through the TT website and not need to 'fess up to having an unsupported device, but I'd want to know it would work before you spent any money!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bed bug thats more to do with map acctivation. that sounds like tt being just covering there their rears and they may not have tested the ornage varient

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: