Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim X51v
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim X51v
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Thanks.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
FatFreddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor

Glad you're pleased with X51v. How does Tomtom work in landscape mode, does it seem slow when browsing menus like mine is?

If you don't use Checkpoint I don't see how you can update the database of existing cameras. The add camera function of checkpoint is very useful. The checkpoint database should be the most up to date.

Although I cannot get the Checkpoint website to accept more than one added camera without getting and error (incorrect parameters or something). Although if I just delete the top addition, try again, delete another and so on till the end, the database seems to accept them all. This may be why the database seems to be out of date, if others are getting this error and just giving up. Has anyone else got this problem or is it just me it doesn't like Smile I have this problem even after op sys update.

All the best

Fat Freddy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know you cannot use CheckPOI to update the camera database from this site (not since the subscription service began).
To update your device simply download the camera database of your choice (In this case the one for TomTom (ov2) - Please don't try using the TomTom Home Beta downloads), you need to be a subscribed member of the site to gain access to the downloads part of the site.

Unzip the contents of your download.
Dock the PDA to the PC and use Windows Explorer to copy the unzipped files to the map folder on your memory card.
That's it job done (Typ less than 5 mins) and once your warning system is configured you only need to do the above to update the unit, if you haven't been doing this for some time your database could be upto 6 months out of date - Mike
FatFreddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, thanks for response, but I was refering to the Checkpoint website and database, not Pocket GPS. Its seems others are having the same problem as me:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=30145
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought your post was to obtain the most upto date camera database, hence I explained how to install the best Wink
I have never used the CheckPOI data, and to be honest the link you supplied was the first I have seen of that thread, as I don't use the CheckPOI or the Checkpoint data I have no idea as to its failings - Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FatFredy
I find that Tomtom runs great on the Dell and it also browses the menus at the same speed as my 2210 once did.

But I must admit that I haven’t tried Landscape mode. Personally I have never seen the point of Landscape on Tomtom. After all, when navigating the road lies from the bottom of the screen to the top and I cant think of a better way.

I always ran Checkpoint on the Ipaq 2210 TT5 and found that it ran perfectly. It was so simple to synchronize and update the camera database and I think the product is top class.

If its compatible with WM 2005 I have yet to find out. We will see.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
FatFreddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like landscape because the text in the eta/speed/distance etc box is bigger and I can read it more easily.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FatFreddy
Mmm! I never thought of that. TheTT5 writing on my Ipaq navigating screen was rather small but on the Dell its even smaller. I must look into the Landscape mode and see what I think.

I have backed up my PDA and then installed Checkpoint. That too runs great. I agree that the flashing on the screen as one neared a speed camera was rather off putting but I soon remedied that.

Anyway, tomorrow I will have afiddle with the Landscape mode and see how it goes.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly OT, but I take it you`ve already discovered the forums at www.aximsite.com ? They`re a great general resource for x51v owners, which can point you in the right direction for super apps like OZvga, etc, to get the best out of your screen.

I upgraded 18 months ago from a 2210 to an x50v and have never looked back - the Dell is in a different league. And I always adored my 2210.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FatFreddy
The Dell and TT5 are working perfectly, However, try as I might I cant get any satellites on Memory Map. I was able to run Memory Map on the 2210 but this has got me puzzled.

I see that you have memory Map, does it work ok for you?
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
FatFreddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor

My Dell works fine with Memory Map. The settings I use are:

NMEA
COM7

You need to check which com port you're using in settings - connections - bluetooth - com ports.

If Tomtom works then Memory Map should. Are you using the latest version of Memory Map?
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FatFreddy
Thanks for replying. TT5 works perfectly on my Dell but Memory Map does not. However, I admit that my version of Memory Map is rather old. Now,

My TT5 is set up on MMEA, Com1 and Baud 4800.

You mention your memory Map Setup as Com 7 yet I don’t get Com 7 appear as an option. That has puzzled me. Any ideas?
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
To do this go to the Bluetooth manager and select the Com Ports tab, now select "New Outgoing Port" on the next screen select your GPS unit from the list presented (complete with the question mark if need be), press Next, now you need to select the actual com port you want to use, if you pick one from the list that isn't available just keep trying until it accepts your choice - start at com0 and work upwards until its happy - I can't remember the port settings for the X51V Embarassed Remember the com port you have set and use that in the GPS software application when setting it up - Hope the above helps - Mike
As you have done this before to get the device working, try changing the com port applied to the Bluetooth settings to use Com7 then try Memory map.
Note if this works you will have to alter the TomTom application to use Com7 instead of whatever you currently have selected, there is a way of sharing the GPS port between multiple applications if you need to run two apps at the same time, but I don't think this is the issue here? - Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Mike
I will give it a try tomorrow.
Thanks.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my support for the X51v.

I've been a very happy user of this PDA for 9 months now. I use it with TT5.21 / Pocket Anquet and OziExplorerCE. It works with my TomTom GPSII GPS unit and a HAICOM 305III CF GPS unit. The latter requires the firmware to be at A12 - which should be the case for newly bought units.

It's fast, giving smooth tracking to the maps and hasn't let me down. Had a problem synching PIM data at first - but this turned out to be a configuration issue with Outlook 2003. I love the fact it has both CF and SD support - gives additional flexibility. My 'phone is an O2 XDAIIi running PPC2003 and that's all I really miss on the X51 - if it had 'phone functionallity it would possibly be wonderful - but given the poor performance of the XDA IIi with Bt GPS apps when taking calls over BT headset..... (another story altogether) Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: