Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera (UK) alarm does not sound
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera (UK) alarm does not sound
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Oldboy,

Do you mean that if you are not navigating to anywhere in particular, and you pass one 30mph camera you will get the usual warning, but if you then pass a second 30mph camera you will not be warned of it ? If so, then this is not just a bug but it affects the whole point of the speed camera database and PGPSW need to get onto Tom Tom to get this corrected pronto !! I'm sure I read in a previous post somewhere that people who had TT x10s were putting in double warnings for each camera so that each second warning could be safely ignored without affecting the operation of the device.

Yes I agree. If this is a known bug, it needs to be sorted, as it makes to camera data-base a bit pointless under some circumstances. Particularly if travelling a long distance on the same road, (A1 for example) as it means that there may only be 1 warning for multiple cameras.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever got TomTom to admit to this serious bug?
bennyk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: bug Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I had this bug on V5.42 so it's not new in V6. I have recently upgraded to V6 ( over the weekend) and the problem is still present.

One thing that did occur to me is are the notifications direction dependant - ie if a camera has been flagged on the Northbound site of the carriageway, will you get a warning if travelling southbound?

Just a thought......?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: bug Reply with quote

bennyk wrote:
if a camera has been flagged on the Northbound site of the carriageway, will you get a warning if travelling southbound?
Only if the Only Warn When on Route is left Unticked.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mullengers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same; TomTom GO 910 inbuilt speed cameras are silent, but the pocket GPS cameras beep and whiz just as on my old TomTom Nav 5 Pocket PC.
cleanbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks oldboy for the info, yes i do own a tomtom 910 v6.11, sorry about not letting anyone know what i've got to help sort this problem out........

reading all these problems users have about this particular bug, LOOKS LIKE WE WILL HAVE TO LOOK AT OUR SCREENS MORE WHILE DRIVING WHICH TOTALLY DEFEATS THE OBJECT OF HAVING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE, HOW RIDICULOUS...........

Grrrr Evil or Very Mad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy work around to your problem is to put a double set of POI's into the device, once configured the warnings work great.
1/ create a folder on the PC and unzip the latest database into it.
2/ Re-name each file placing 1 infront of it.
3/ Unzip the latest download into the same folder. (you will now have two seperate copies of the database in the same folder)
4/ Copy all the files to the Western Europe Map folder.
5/ Set up the warn when near POI, for the normal camera files use a full warning description, assuming you are employing TTS something like "Warning GATSO ahead, speed limit is 30 miles per hour" - set the distance to what you require.
6/ Set up the warn when near POI, for the re-named files use the character _ (this is a simple silent pause) set the distance to 100 Yards (minimum distance)

now you will get all the warnings for every camera, its a pain to do initialy, but the update is easy to do, once you have worked out the set-up, only the file re-naming is required for each update, configuring the device is a once off opperation - Mike
cleanbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mikealder for your help and info, i shall try and give it a go on the instructions you have given.

Happy
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Is the new One going to suffer the same problem? In general, how does the warning on a tomtom compare to a garmin nuvi. The nuvi gives a bong and a visual icon together with a warning of the speed camera and limit in the navigation banner. This is followed by a further bong when close and then a continuous warning if you are over the limit. Is the tomtom the same?

Thanks - Nick
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: bug Reply with quote

bennyk wrote:
Hi Guys
I had this bug on V5.42 so it's not new in V6. I have recently upgraded to V6 ( over the weekend) and the problem is still present.

I have v5.42 and DO NOT have this bug! (Assuming that it would show up on the M25 when going past umpteen gantry cameras?)

n4nick wrote:
Is the new One going to suffer the same problem?

Presumably, if the software is the same version.

n4nick wrote:
In general, how does the warning on a tomtom compare to a garmin nuvi. The nuvi gives a bong and a visual icon together with a warning of the speed camera and limit in the navigation banner. This is followed by a further bong when close and then a continuous warning if you are over the limit. Is the tomtom the same?

The TomTom gives a flashing visual alert on screen (this can be any icon you want, but for the cameras it is usually a picture of a speed limit sign) along with a distance countdown until you pass the camera.
There is also an audible alert which you can choose from the in-built sounds, or you can install your own sounds or real-voice warnings, matched to the speed limit.

For all the alerts you can specify what distance you want the alert to trigger (different for every type/speed). There is no second warning (unless you install the camera POIs twice with different distances set) and there is no indication as to whether you are under or over the speed limit at that moment.
(The latest maps supplied with the x10 series DO have stored speed limits for some roads, giving a rudimentary on-screen display of whether you are going faster than the limit for that road, but it doesn't link up with the POI warnings and apparently not many roads have the correct information stored anyway!.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "Bug" manifests itself in the following way, pass a camera location you get a warning, pass a second camera of the same type you get the visable warning but no audio, unless there is another voice issued first i.e. a navigation prompt or a second camera warning for the same location provided by a seperate POI containing duplicate information - hence the double install as detailed above.
This is easy to observe in use where I live, it takes a simple drive up Blackpool prom to illustate the problem and the subsequent work around - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I thought... so I can confirm that for multiple "variable" gatsos on the M25 gantries I *DO* get every audible alert, with or without any other spoken directions in between.
I do, however use the standard Polite2 bong rather than any custom voice alerts, if that makes any difference.

Also, apologies for error above - this is with v5.440 software not 5.42
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the reply...perhaps the system on the nuvi is slighty better and it is definately easier to set up than tomtom.

Is it possible to navigate in km/m but receive speed warnings in mph? Annoyingly with the nuvi even if you upload camers in mph it converts the data to kph when navigating in km/m.

Thanks - Nick
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
Is it possible to navigate in km/m but receive speed warnings in mph? Annoyingly with the nuvi even if you upload camers in mph it converts the data to kph when navigating in km/m.

With the TT, no matter whether you are navigating in mph or kph, the warnings for the cameras are the same. They are dependant on what the user has set up on their individual TT. Most people in the UK navigate in mph so will have icons and warnings set to UK speed limits. If I change my units to kilometres rather than miles, my camera warnings will still show a uk mph speed limit. On the other hand if I navigate in France and choose to do so in kilometres, I could set my french cameras to flash up warnings in kph. What you do is only limited by the amount of available memory on your TT device.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
bennyk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

6/ Set up the warn when near POI, for the re-named files use the character _ (this is a simple silent pause) set the distance to 100 Yards (minimum distance)

What do I put the Character _ in?

Once I have set the distance - say 300 yards, where do I input the _character? I'm confused !

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: