Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HTC team up with TomTom and launch an integrated GPS PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HTC team up with TomTom and launch an integrated GPS PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: HTC team up with TomTom and launch an integrated GPS PDA Reply with quote

HTC are one of the biggest PDA and SmartPhone manufacturers in the world, but despite this fact they are relatively unknown. This is because they produce PDAs and phones for Telephone Operators such as the O2 XDA range and the Orange C500/M500 etc. They are also branded as Qtec and I-Mate

Well this is all about to change as HTC has started to launch it's own HTC brand and today has announced 4 new devices all available in September and October 2006. I already saw some of them last week at the IFA show in Berlin. In particular the O2 Cosmo caught my attention, this is the HTC S620 smartphone.

Of more interest to the GPS community is the HTC P3300. This is HTCs first PDA which incorporates an internal GPS receiver. The P3300 has a 2.8 inch display and will come pre-installed with TomTom Navigator 6.

Extract from HTC Press Release wrote:
HTC unveils Q4 product portfolio with four new smart devices

~ Targeting new audiences with innovative product designs
tailored for specific market segments ~

HTC, the world’s leading provider of Microsoft® Windows Mobile® devices, today launched its Q4 product portfolio. The four new additions to the HTC range are each specifically designed to appeal to new market segments, bringing the benefits of Microsoft’s smart mobility to new audiences.

The innovative form factors and new designs showcase the latest mobile
applications – from email to navigation:

• HTC S620 – HTC’s new, super slim form factor with integrated QWERTY
keyboard: perfect for email and messaging

• HTC P3300 – HTC’s first dedicated navigation PDA with in-built GPS and
complete with TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 software

• HTC P3600 – HTC’s next generation multimedia compact PDA with 3G
connectivity and HSDPA-ready

• HTC S310 – a small yet powerful messaging and internet smartphone for
both business and consumer use

The launch of these devices, hot on the heels of the HTC TyTN and HTC MTeoR in June, underpins HTC’s continual leadership in innovation and its commitment to extending the reach and appeal of smart devices to encompass both advanced business users and ‘first-time’ smartphone and PDA owners. All devices will be available under the HTC brand as well as in customised versions for operator partners.

TomTom press release wrote:
HTC Launches GPS PDA phone, integrated with the latest TomTom Navigation Solution

September 7, 2006, Amsterdam - HTC, the world's leading provider of Microsoft® Windows Mobile® devices, and TomTom, a leading navigation solution provider, today announced a new European partnership. HTC's newly launched P3300 personal navigation device will be its first handset to feature the latest TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 software.

The announcement forms the initial phase of the deal which will see TomTom and HTC work closely together on future devices.

Florian Seiche, Vice President of HTC Europe, added: "Being able to offer added value to our customers is extremely important to HTC. Our strong emphasis on innovation combined with TomTom's expertise in navigation technology will create a winning combination for HTC customers."

"The HTC P3300 with TomTom's NAVIGATOR 6 software will contain a wide array of features, software and maps that will offer European customers high performance navigation solutions," said Eric Pité, the Vice President of Product Management at TomTom.

The P3300 is HTC's first navigation-focused PDA Phone with a built-in GPS. This setup is an ideal solution for customers who need their PDA and navigation integrated into one personal device. Two-dimensional and three-dimensional maps are easy to install and view using HTC's trackball and optimised 2.8-inch sharp colour screen.

The HTC P3300 will be available across Europe from October 2006 with preinstalled NAVIGATOR 6 software, featuring either a city map of choice or a complete set of maps for Western Europe.

Key features of HTC P3300:

* Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5.0 Operating System
* Standalone GPS functionality
* GSM/GPRS/EDGE, 850, 900, 1800, 1900
* Bluetooth 2.0 and Wi-Fi
* Direct Push Email
* FM radio for the latest news and entertainment on the go
* HTC RollRTM (Trackball and Track Wheel) for easy viewing and navigation

Key features of TomTom NAVIGATOR 6:

· Contact navigation: Navigate direct to contacts stored in your address book

· Arrival time planning: Plan a route based on your desired arrival time

· Speeding alert: Notifies the driver if they're speeding, even if they're not in navigation mode

· Pre-installed Safety Camera database: The most up-to-date available list of safety cameras is pre-installed

· Realistic visual instructions: Visuals replicate road signs, making them easier to follow

· Pedestrian navigation view: 2D map which is fixed in one position to allow better orientation when navigating on foot

Last edited by MikeB on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: The HTC S620 SmartPhone Reply with quote

The HTC S620 smartphone is a break-through form factor for HTC. Super sleek – just 12.8mm thin and weighing 130g with battery - this device makes light work of email and document management on the go. It is the first device to feature HTC’s JOGGR™ touch sensitive navigation bar, ensuring easy access to a wealth of applications including: Outlook Mobile® via direct Push functionality available with Windows Mobile 5.0), Word Mobile, Excel® Mobile, PowerPoint® Mobile and PDF viewer, literally at your fingertips. Combined with a 2.4 inch, colour, landscape screen and fully integrated QWERY keyboard this is truly a smart messaging device.

The HTC S620 offers a comprehensive range of connectivity options: Quad band GPRS/EDGE, WiFiTM and BluetoothTM. It will be available across Europe from October 2006.

This SmartPhone will be available from O2 branded as the O2 XDA Cosmo.

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HTC P3600 is HTC’s next generation PDA, building on its successful predecessors the Prophet and Magician. Packed with technology, the HTC P3600 is the perfect companion for work and play. Windows Mobile® 5.0 keeps you up to date with emails, calendar and documents; it features 3G
connectivity and is HSDPA-ready, delivering Worldwide high-speed internet connectivity wherever and whenever it’s needed.

With serious multi media capabilities and a 2.0 megapixel camera built in, this feature rich PDA is ideal for messaging, video, pictures and music on the go.

Available in a high quality black or white glossy finish, the HTC P3600 will be available across Europe from September 2006.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideal for business and consumer users the HTC S310 is a small yet powerful candy bar-style messaging device. It offers affordable access to Windows Mobile 5.0 and high specification multimedia functionality. This Quad band device will be on the shelves from September 2006 in a range of colours – black, white and grey.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Full HTC Press Release wrote:
HTC unveils Q4 product portfolio with four new smart devices

~ Targeting new audiences with innovative product designs
tailored for specific market segments ~

HTC, the world’s leading provider of Microsoft® Windows Mobile® devices, today launched its Q4 product portfolio. The four new additions to the HTC range are each specifically designed to appeal to new market segments, bringing the benefits of Microsoft’s smart mobility to new audiences.

The innovative form factors and new designs showcase the latest mobile
applications – from email to navigation:
• HTC S620 – HTC’s new, super slim form factor with integrated QWERTY
keyboard: perfect for email and messaging
• HTC P3300 – HTC’s first dedicated navigation PDA with in-built GPS and
complete with TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 software
• HTC P3600 – HTC’s next generation multimedia compact PDA with 3G
connectivity and HSDPA-ready
• HTC S310 – a small yet powerful messaging and internet smartphone for
both business and consumer use

The launch of these devices, hot on the heels of the HTC TyTN and HTC MTeoR in June, underpins HTC’s continual leadership in innovation and its commitment to extending the reach and appeal of smart devices to encompass both advanced business users and ‘first-time’ smartphone and PDA owners. All devices will be available under the HTC brand as well as in customised versions for operator partners.

HTC has already lined up leading European mobile operator partners for these new devices. As the first operator T-Mobile will be launching the HTC P3300 as its own customised version - called MDA Compact III - in several European markets.

UK ONLY: New distribution partners Portix and Expansys are also promoting HTC’s range across their relevant sectors.

HTC is growing rapidly in Europe. It has already extended its footprint to include a dedicated local presence in Italy and France, with plans for Germany, Scandinavia, Russia and Spain by the end of the year.

Customers requiring support for any HTC device can go direct to
http://www.europe.htc.com/support/. Now live in six languages, the support centre answers more than 800 FAQs online and is constantly added to with fresh information, hints and tips.

Florian Seiche, Vice President of HTC Europe commented: “Being able to offer the best customer experience on a dedicated device is extremely important for us - no matter if it is for email, navigation or multimedia focus. This new range of devices will enable both consumer and business users to make their personal choice within the rapidly growing segment of Smart Devices based on the powerful Windows Mobile platform.”

"We're thrilled to see HTC expanding its portfolio with the HTC S620, S3300, P3600 and S310 smartphones, which further add to HTC's stellar record of innovation on the Windows Mobile platform," Scott Horn, General Manager, Mobile & Embedded Devices Division, Microsoft Corp. "These devices are defining a whole new category of phones with a range of entertainment and productivity options for business users and consumers. With HTC, we're bringing more choice to Windows Mobile customers in a rapidly growing and increasingly diverse mobile market"

“As a preferred navigation partner for HTC going forward, we can collectively offer customers an easy to use, high performance handheld mobile navigation solution so they need never be lost while on the move again," said Eric Pité, vice president, Product Management at TomTom.

About HTC
HTC designs, manufactures and markets innovative, feature rich smartphone and PDA devices. The company produces powerful handsets that continually push the boundaries to provide true mobility and freedom for its users.

Founded in 1997, HTC (High Tech Computer Corp.) made its name as the company behind many of the most popular operator-branded devices. It has established unique partnerships with key mobile brands, including the leading five operators in Europe, the top four in the US, and many fast-growing Asian operators. The company has also brought products to market with OEM partners and under its own Qtek brand. In June
2006, HTC consolidated to a single brand identity in Europe to resonate with both partner and end-user audiences.

HTC is the leading global provider of Microsoft Windows® Mobile-based devices and one of the fastest growing companies in the mobile device sector. The company is listed on The Taiwan Stock Exchange under ticker 2498. For further corporate information, please visit: www.htc.com

iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expansys have the full WE map edition on "pre" sale at £549 inc vat....

If they can get the price down by another 150 quid I'd be very interested in this. Taking it much closer to to MIO A701

At £550 I'm not interested at all.
dangel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The P3300 is basically the phone i've been looking for (i think) - I've currently got a Qtek S100 (rebranded HTC Magician) which i'm pretty happy with but it doesn't have the Wifi and GPS of this beauty.
I'd prefer to be able to buy the phone without GPS software (so that I have a choice) tbh.

You should be able to get the phone on a contract from resellers - my Qtek is on orange but 'officially' orange think I have a different handset ;)
Expansys' prices seem pie-in-the-sky to me - there's no way i'd pay that much for such a device. The only question is the processor - i think it's a 200mhz OMAP processor and that's possibly a bit slow.
crazybones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangel wrote:
The P3300 is basically the phone i've been looking for (i think) - I've currently got a Qtek S100 (rebranded HTC Magician) which i'm pretty happy with but it doesn't have the Wifi and GPS of this beauty.
I'd prefer to be able to buy the phone without GPS software (so that I have a choice) tbh.

You should be able to get the phone on a contract from resellers - my Qtek is on orange but 'officially' orange think I have a different handset ;)
Expansys' prices seem pie-in-the-sky to me - there's no way i'd pay that much for such a device. The only question is the processor - i think it's a 200mhz OMAP processor and that's possibly a bit slow.

dangel - Like you, this is the PDA that I've been looking for! The TomTom 6 does not worry me, given that it appears that we won't be able to upgrade from V5. However, the slow processor is not so good - where did you find this info as I looked yesterday and couldn't find any info? I wonder whether the P3600 will have a better processor albeit without the TomTom or GPS?
crazybones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen that the processor info is detailed on Expansys. The P3600 looks good and has a 400Mhz processor, but costs £460 withougt GPS or TomTom
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the price if you take it with a contract (P3300 that is), depending upon which Vodafone contract taken with the unit you can get from £130 to £480 Off the price.
There will be one on my shopping list very soon, as I have wanted a PDA Phone with GPS, WIFI and Bluetooth, the inbuilt radio is even better, but I might have to switch phone contract provider to get it! - Mike
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery life ?
No keyboard?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery life has no projected figures, but the small screen size will help, its the same size screen as my pda-n and I have no problems running that for a day or two (usage depending of course), you can carry a spare charged battery (P3300 has removable battery), or an external power pack.
The slide out keyboard is no great loss for me, the one fitted to my XDAIIs never gets used the buttons are too small. I can always use my Bluetooth version of THIS
The mini lap top style of my XDA Exec is great, but as a phone this device is like carrying around a brick! - ok in its defence I have fitted extended battery packs to both phones, so that further compounds the weight - I just want a single device without ripping shirt pockets - Mike
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 3G then? Big mistake.
Perfectionist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What chipset is the GPS on this ? Anything less than Sirf 3 would be sad ....

I reckon 12-18 months from now, built-in GPS would be a standard feature on all these devices - including the top of the range 3G enabled ones ......

I wonder if GlobalSat etc realise they are in serious trouble !!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: