Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I sell my TT5 in favour of TT6 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I sell my TT5 in favour of TT6 ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Should I sell my TT5 in favour of TT6 ? Reply with quote

It appears to me that TT6 is not an upgrade to TT5...basically, it's a start all over again system. Based on this, I see no reason why I should not pack up my complete TT5 bits and bobs and post the lot for sale on Ebay. Assuming I got a reasonable return, then the cost of TT6 would be an acceptable deal...me thinks ??
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you upgrade to TT6 and TomTom upgrade as in previous versions what happens is that you give them your code number and the money and they send you the new version. However, from that time onwards the copy with the code number you have just given them will not work as the code number now becomes invalid. I'm not even sure that it would work on your own PDA and I'm quite sure that it wouldnt work on anybody elses.

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as I see it...you can't 'upgrade', therefore I am going to start all over again, with TT6 as my new chosen system...and my son will buy my complete TT5 system for a nominal amount. (And TT6 is going on to my new mobile phone)
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but as soon as you give TT the old code it makes that piece of software invalid because if you try to load it onto a new PDA you will get the error message, code invalid.

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me butting in, but the situation is surely:

Mike believes that the only way of having Nav 6 is to buy it outright, as a new product - no discounted upgrade. (I'm not sure this will be the case, but it might work out cheaper for him to proceed in this way anyway).

Mike will then own 2 full and unique products - Nav 5 and Nav 6.

Surely he can then pass Nav 5 to his son - a gift perhaps?! - and call tomTom and say that this product code is no longer running on the original device, but the (son's) new one, and be eligible for an activation code for the son's device. Meanwhile Mike can register Nav 6 on his device as normal - as though nobody had ever owned Nav 5.

Surely a license for software doesn't deny the purchaser the opportunity to transfer it to a different device?! (It might be easier to keep TT 5 registered to Mike, not his son, if that won't cause too many issues).

nobody is trying to cheat anyone - two complete products have been bought, two complete products would be in use.

This is all based upon the fact that 'helpful' TT Support people have advised a number of enquirers that there is to be NO upgrade path to Nav 6; you effectively throw Nav 5 away - losing all its value - and buy Nav 6 as though you'd never bought any GPS before. I don't believe that's the truth regarding Nav 6 and upgrades, but TT support people are saying that it is.
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge the only way to get past this is if the rumours are true and you cant get an upgrade and you have to buy the product outright, then that's fine. You dont need to give TT the old code.

You buy TT6 as a product on its own and providing it has only been on one PDA or even if its been on two, as long as 6 months has elapsed between the second and third PDA you can use it legally on two PDA's and Mike can then give it to his son as he has the license for both.

However, time will tell as to whether its possible to buy an upgrade at a reduced rate or whether we will have to buy the product outright. If the latter is the case I can see Ebay being awash with legitimate copies of TT5 for sale.

Howard
:D
Active Synch 4.5
scope
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth.. It is hardly worth upgrading from TT5 to TT6. The new features are minor and dont justify the upgrade free (if there is one), let alone buying a new copy.. My advise is to hold on to your hard earned money. :-)
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scope,

For most people it isn't functionality they want from Nav 6 (though it would be nice), but improved maps.

Nav 6 isn't available yet; whatever you've seen, it wasn't legitimate. It didn't offer what the release Nav 6 will. I can't say for sure, but I think it highly doubtful that TT would allow preview copies with the very most up-to-date maps (for the very reason of piracy). What others have seen will be developmental maps which contain the additonal features that Nav 6 will offer, but are unlikely to be the most current in terms of map data. Hence the size issues that everyone is moaning about - the pirated versions won't be optomised.

I suggest we all bide our time and wait and see what actually gets released, and under what terms. Only then will we be able to tell which 50% of what I'm saying turns out to be correct! (in my dreams!) Wink
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no
scope
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
Hi Scope,

Nav 6 isn't available yet; whatever you've seen, it wasn't legitimate. It didn't offer what the release Nav 6 will.

Its not what I've seen, its what TomTom has released as being new features. And if that list is anything to go by it wont be much different from TT5. They should allow people to upgrade the maps and use them with TT5, it would save everybody the hassle of starting to use a new application.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but they want to screw us for more money!!

The maps have to be updated to support the speed limit feature of V6; this makes new maps incompatible with V5. This allows TT to really scam their existing customers - see here.

Any given map set is time limited. I don't think GPS without upgradable mapping is viable - I sure hope for ALL our sakes I'm right!
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some of us it isn't just new TT6 software we have to buy, but a new PPC as well. Thanks TomTom! My HP2200 is no longer compatible you say.
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like TTN6. There are many features I will not use and the maps that I have are not much different from 6.32 in Europe or 5.67 in USA and some that I still test are not released yet. I prefer some of the features, but I am still flipping between the two versions
For my use, I do not use the gimmicks
All I need are accurate A to B planning with via C functionality. The other features for me are gimmicks.
I like the poi's being raised to 100, but if 100, why not 255? surely it is only code
I need ATM, police, hospitals, banks, speed detectors and hotels and restaurants.
and car parks where you can park a 40' truck for a kip
low bridges
but i get better info about this elsewhere
I am not convinced. I still need two versions to cater for my needs
and since I am in far east, Hong Kong, Singpore, Teipei and other cities would be usefull, but nothing helps yet
still there are errors in UK mapping, so what it would be like in Asian countries would be interesting
Hope to see if they give me another test.
BTW, I use an alias
Nick Baker was a wind surfer dude that had promise
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
lostway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: no Reply with quote

No nO NO !!!!

The map changed little.
The function almost same

why should you?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi qkjb,

qkjb wrote:
My HP2200 is no longer compatible you say.

TomTom Navigator 6 will happily run on an HP h2210. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: