Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go 710 With RDS TMC receiver. Any Good?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go 710 With RDS TMC receiver. Any Good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partnervanman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 710 With RDS TMC receiver. Any Good? Reply with quote

I have just returned my Garmin Nuvi 310 TMC as a result of the nationwide problems. I was looking to replace it for a 710 with the TMC add on. Anybody had experience with it?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TMC has not been released for the Tomtom 510/710/910 yet.
And no date has been given either.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
partnervanman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How Come Maplin duarantee within 28 days and iv found another online store saying 15 days?

Im not saying your wrong, i know what stores are like, i was just looking for an alternative to the Nuvi and this looked viable,
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:

Really ?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7401482.htm

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:
MELennium wrote:

Really ?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7401482.htm

Check a bit further and you'll see Argos don't have any stock. As yet they haven't had any and also have never given a date as to when the TT TMC receiver will be available.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Go 710 With RDS TMC receiver. Any Good? Reply with quote

partnervanman wrote:
I have just returned my Garmin Nuvi 310 TMC as a result of the nationwide problems. I was looking to replace it for a 710 with the TMC add on. Anybody had experience with it?

I wouldn't touch it....
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:

Quote:
I wouldn't touch it....

Just out of interest Eldar why would you not touch it? I was going to get one of these when they are released.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Go 710 With RDS TMC receiver. Any Good? Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
partnervanman wrote:

I wouldn't touch it....

So let's get this right, you're saying that even if Tom Tom produce a fully functioning and working TMC receiver (something that Garmin have so far failed to do with their GTM12) you not going to 'touch it' or buy one ??
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Go 710 With RDS TMC receiver. Any Good? Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
Eldar wrote:
partnervanman wrote:

I wouldn't touch it....

So let's get this right, you're saying that even if Tom Tom produce a fully functioning and working TMC receiver (something that Garmin have so far failed to do with their GTM12) you not going to 'touch it' or buy one ??

yes, for a number of reasons
a) FM RDS-TMC reception is much worse than then your normal FM radio reception and requires a decent antenna to work reliably
b) It is going to cost about 60 quid, which is about two years worth of "over GPRS" traffic and the information sources for both services are almost the same.
c) There will be more wires stretched over the dashboard which makes the place look untidyand it's another bit of kit to take out of the car.
d) the information quality is poor, it might save you time or it might lose you time, but you cannot really rely on it.

I hope that I answered your question to your satisfaction.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar,

It appears from what you've said your issues aren't with the TT TMC receiver as such but more with general current TMC receiver design ie extra cables on the dashboard, potential poor reception, costs etc.

Some of these can be a pain for sure but when the traffic information on Garmin Nuvi 310D I previously had actually worked properly it was a pretty useful piece of kit.As it was I took it back for a refund due to the intermittent reception.

I think I'll prefer to wait to see how the Tom Tom TMC receiver performs before passing judgement.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
Eldar,

It appears from what you've said your issues aren't with the TT TMC receiver as such but more with general current TMC receiver design ie extra cables on the dashboard, potential poor reception, costs etc.

Some of these can be a pain for sure but when the traffic information on Garmin Nuvi 310D I previously had actually worked properly it was a pretty useful piece of kit.As it was I took it back for a refund due to the intermittent reception.

I think I'll prefer to wait to see how the Tom Tom TMC receiver performs before passing judgement.

I think the poor quality of information is a reason enough. When you buy a Mio C710, then you get an integrated FM-RDS receiver for virtually nothing, but paying another 60 quid to TT for what is a random traffic information generator is not very wise.
telematicsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: RDS-TMC Accuracy Reply with quote

I think Eldar has a point here RDS message quality varies a lot with the producers. TMC is likely to be the same.That said there is no definitive single source of traffic information in the UK. There are various sources but nobody yet is coordinating or collating them all.

The Highways Agency National Traffic Centre has designs on doing this but are still a long way from it. Trafficmaster were understandably reluctant to share their information with them, after all they invested a lot of money in Sensors to gather it.

If you pay for a GPRS service you are entitled to expect a minimum level of service and have leverage to complain if you don't get it. TMC is a lot better supported in continental Europe. Certainly its worth watching with interest but add poor reception to a patchy information source and the odds are not in its favour.

If you use 'conventional' RDS on a car radio is seems a lot of stations forget to turn it off after giving an alert, possibly hoping to keep you listening. Unless TMC helps radio stations drive up audience numbers its difficult to see what will motivate them to do it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: