Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Code search synch "Too many POI"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Code search synch "Too many POI"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matrick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Code search synch "Too many POI" Reply with quote

Hi

I am trying to upload all the postcode POI files and am told that obviously too many files are present.

I am therefore wondering, if all the post code files could not be split into larger POI files such as North, South, East, West, Scotland, Wales etc. Maybe this would then be acceptable to Tom Tom II?

Just a thought, any suggestions appreciated

Regards

Matt
Matrick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the above post, another problem is that my CF card becomes full. Is there a way to tell TT II to look for POI files on my SD card instead?

Regards

Matt
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merging files - I think you'd be getting into trouble with performance if you did, though I think you may be able to use POI Edit to merge files if you really want to. .ov2 really isn't designed for the number of points in an entire postcode area.

POI files stored elsewhere - to my knowledge, TomTom Navigator 2 will only use POI files stored in the same folder as the map data.

Another thing you could look at is CodeSearch by Richard Davies (Oldie on the forums). The page about that is here. That might give you everything you want without having all the POI files on your Pocket PC.

David
Matrick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Dave

Did I read somewhere that Code Search will not work with Pocket PC 2003 version ?

Thanks

Matt
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matrick

I had the same problem as you when I tried to load all the post codes onto my ipaq2210 eror message "To many POI's".
I uninstalled them and then thought the best way would be to have code search on my computer then transfer the post code onto my ipaq as and when I need it. Not the best solution, but a very neat workaround as I usually know where I am going in advance and can put the post codes in place before I leave. That works fine, I dont know of a way to transfer all the post codes onto the ipaq without getting the error message. Also, there was another a problem.
The default bmp has to many colours in it so when I put the post code into the 2210 along with the bmp I have to change the colour resolution otherwise the ipaq locks up.
I am running PPC2003 and I dont have a problem. then again I'm not actually running code search on my ipaq but just transfering the post code.

Hope this helps

Howard
zoyah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matrick

The erorr you get with there being too many POI files is a TTN2 limitation.

If you know where you are going in advance, I think Oldie's CodeSearch program is excellent!

If you don't always know where you are going in advance and just want to have as many PostCodes as possibly available on your PDA, I'd suggest the following:

The best work around is not to load all of the CodeSearch POI files on your PDA, just the regions you are likely to use - that's why they have been distributed by region (e.g. CodeSerach_Scotland_ov2.zip has all the postcodes for Scotland).

Combining the files into a larger file will definitely slow down your searches, probably to an unusable/frustrating level - thats why they were separated.

I don't travel to the north of the UK often so I don't have the POI files installed into my GB map directory. However, I do have them stored in .zip format in another location on my Storage card (or you could save them to another storage card) and using some free software (like TotalCommander/CE) I can unzip the files as and when required. This way I know I have all the postcodes in the UK (well, almost) with me all the time and because they are in smaller files, they ave very usable.

When setting my destination, I find that I am using postcodes rather than TTN2s address search most of the time. Only if I don't have the postcode or the Postcode is not in the POI list do I use the address search.

hope this helps

George
Matrick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents for your posts.

I'm now using George's method and all appears to work, except.......

To save space I have unchecked (in the Tom Tom POI Edit update list) the boxes for previously but now unwanted POI files, that I used to use. I have manually deleted those files from my CF card. Yet when I update files POI Edit still downloads the unchecked files as if the boxes were still checked ?

Is there a way to stop this ?

Regards

Matt
Matrick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the last post, I've sussed it.

I've manually deleted the files from the download list and all is well.

Regards

Matt
twisted-pixel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded all the postcode files and like most people tried to run TT and got the "too many POI" error message....this plus it took nearly 4 weeks to actually get to this message (slight exaggeration maybe)

So, I created a folder on the SD card called postcodes, and moved all the files there. When I want to go to a particular place I copy the relevant postcode files across into the navigation map folder and I'm away. That ay I always have the entire postcode files with me.

Only one small problem and that is that screen limitations on my iPAQ 2210 mean that I can only see the first 11 letters of each file..so the file listing looks like

code_searc...
code_searc...
code_searc...

How do I tell which is the one I want without clicking on it and getting a message. I suppose I could rename all the files to just the relevant postcode format but this might cause problems if I need to do an update.

I posted this question in an pocketPC newsgroup and am waiting for a reply.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rename all the files. You can rename them to anything you like, just make sure you re-enable them in TomTom though. You could call them like PS-SO or just the postcode.
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me then that is getting the error for the bmp file having to many colours? I can of course correct it but I need to do that every time I create a new set of postcodes which in turn compiles a new bmp file.

What that also means of course is that I cannot place all the post codes onto a memory card to use it as and when I needed as has been previously suggested as I need to correct the colour resolution every time in the bmp file and I would really like to do that as it seems an excellent idea.

Howard
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregard the last post. I unzipped the post code files and stored them on a separate directory on my CF card and then renamed them so that I could get over the limited letter problem on my 2210.
I then copied and pasted the relevant postcode into the file where the maps are and everything works okay. If I use code search on my computer I will still have to change the resolution of the bmp file before I can use it, but by putting the post codes onto the CF card and accessing them that way it works. Thanks for all the help and advice guys. Dont know what I would do without this excellent forum.

Howard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: