Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the TomTom One New Edition in Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the TomTom One New Edition in Europe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: TomTom announce the TomTom One New Edition in Europe Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago TomTom USA announced a new TomTom One for the US Market. Speculation was rife about a European launch and pricing. Yesterday we were at TomTom's head office in Amsterdam and we walked away with a TomTom One New Edition for Europe. This comes in 2 flavors: Western Europe or Regional. The European Edition is priced at €399 (about £270) and the Regional Edition €299 (about £199). These should be available in the stores from September 2006.

As we have only had the TomTom One NE for a few hours our article is not an in depth review, but a first look. Click here to read our first impressions of the TomTom One New Edition and the official TomTom Press Release.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am not impressed with the shape. It's too square looking for my liking and depending on the material used for the casing, may end up easily scratched.

What was wrong with the original One anyway?
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom announce the TomTom One New Edition in Europe Reply with quote

Navteq maps on the euro version?

That should be a good comparison test then.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and just read the write-up on yournav and noticed a couple of annoying or disappointing (to me) features.

CPU speed has been decreased from 380 Mhz down to a quite slow 266 Mhz and the headphone socket's gone.

I may still get one just for the hell of it though.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I’ve had a look at the TomTom ONE Europe - Maps & Coverage page, and even though it uses Navteq map data I can’t see any mention of the Channel Islands in particular Jersey.

When you get a chance could you see if there’s full map data for the Channel Islands?

Is the TomTom ONE NE much smaller than the ONE classic? Will the ONE NE fit in the Brodit mount for the TomTom ONE?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
When you get a chance could you see if there’s full map data for the Channel Islands?

I just had a quick look on the Navteq European version and it contains street level mapping for Guernsey, Jersey and even Alderney (though every single road in Alderney was marked as non-navigable).

Privateer wrote:
Is the TomTom ONE NE much smaller than the ONE classic? Will the ONE NE fit in the Brodit mount for the TomTom ONE?

Confession time here. I don't actually have an original One, the only time I actually held one was when they were in development. On paper they have shaved a lot of the overall dimensions and reduced the weight by almost 50%.

It is difficult to tell if the current mount would still fit. I would expect not from the pictures of the original One. The measurement between the mounting slot (at the base) is 54mm (my measurement with a ruler).
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Comparison with One? Reply with quote

As I've just sent my original One back to Amazon for a refund (tale of woe elsewhere), I'm looking for a replacement. I've been looking at the 710 and 910 (I need European maps built in having had so much hassle trying to install them from the MOWE CDs) but also the Mio C710. All have pros and cons. But then along comes this -- all of Europe but also cheap.

The worry is the slow processor. We need a comparison of this vs. the One. What is impacted? Route planning/speed of recalcuation -- I guess I could live with them. Accuracy of placement on the road/update speed of the view as you drive along -- they would be far more of a problem.

Please do let us know when you've had a chance to do this sort of test.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparison with One? Reply with quote

peteward wrote:
As I've just sent my original One back to Amazon for a refund (tale of woe elsewhere), I'm looking for a replacement. I've been looking at the 710 and 910 (I need European maps built in having had so much hassle trying to install them from the MOWE CDs) but also the Mio C710. All have pros and cons. But then along comes this -- all of Europe but also cheap.

The worry is the slow processor. We need a comparison of this vs. the One. What is impacted? Route planning/speed of recalcuation -- I guess I could live with them. Accuracy of placement on the road/update speed of the view as you drive along -- they would be far more of a problem.

Please do let us know when you've had a chance to do this sort of test.

How does it compare with the speed of the 300 processor? i would guess its similar, maybe faster? My300 has no issues at all, accuracy of placement is excellent, road update is very smooth. It recalculates new routes in a few seconds, I cant see it would need a faster processor, in fact I found it faster than a friends 700 when it came to dragging the map around onscreen even though the 700 supposedly has a faster processor.
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if TomTom are planning to offer an upgrade from the Regional to the European version at any time?

I'm very tempted and would probably go for the Regional version first on the basis of cost, however it would be nice to have the option to upgrade to the European maps (which I presume would just involve a new SD card) at some time in the future if I needed it.

Glenn.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proctog wrote:
Does anyone know if TomTom are planning to offer an upgrade from the Regional to the European version at any time?

I'm very tempted and would probably go for the Regional version first on the basis of cost, however it would be nice to have the option to upgrade to the European maps (which I presume would just involve a new SD card) at some time in the future if I needed it.

Glenn.

I wonder if the software within the unit would be different because they're using 2 different map providers in which case the answer may well be NO!
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and another question (probably only for MikeB or anyone else lucky enough to have one of these) - does the European Edition have street-level maps for Northern Ireland (outside of Belfast) and the Republic?

The TeleAtlas maps are woeful for this; however looking at the MapQuest maps for Ireland (NAVTEQ based) there's an excellent level of detail.

If this is the case for the new One, it would persuade me to buy the European Edition over the Regional one.

Glenn.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
proctog wrote:

Glenn.

I wonder if the software within the unit would be different because they're using 2 different map providers in which case the answer may well be NO!

The software is the same for both Teleatlas and Navteq maps. In fact tomtom convert both Teleatlas and Navteq data into thier own format. The resulting maps look exactly the same to the Navigation application.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proctog wrote:
... and another question (probably only for MikeB or anyone else lucky enough to have one of these) - does the European Edition have street-level maps for Northern Ireland (outside of Belfast) and the Republic?

The TeleAtlas maps are woeful for this; however looking at the MapQuest maps for Ireland (NAVTEQ based) there's an excellent level of detail.

If this is the case for the new One, it would persuade me to buy the European Edition over the Regional one.

Glenn.

I am not an expert on the roads in Southern Ireland, but I just randomly zoomed to a small town called Gort (halfway between Galway and Shannon) and that had full street level mapping. Likewise for a town I am familiar with Portarlington. So I would say that there is now genuine full coverage.

I will of course have to do a tour of the Emerald Isle to confirm that statement.
zark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical!

I take the plunge and get the One 'Classic' - and now a new smaller, lighter one hits the shelves... Twisted Evil

Will the One (the old one) now plummet in price... or simply vanish from shelves like the 300 seemed to?
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
The software is the same for both Teleatlas and Navteq maps. In fact tomtom convert both Teleatlas and Navteq data into thier own format. The resulting maps look exactly the same to the Navigation application.

Thanks, that's good news.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: