Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RIDER Road Test
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RIDER Road Test
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerary Planning Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
DavidHobbs wrote:
That's amazing that you can still hear it with earplugs in. I dind't realize that was possible. The sound the RIDER outputs must be pretty strong then.

I also use earplugs when using the velcro-backed speaker and can hear the instructions upto about 70 mph.

That's really good to know. I had a friend that was curious about this, so two recommendations should definitely help him choose the RIDER. Thanks again for the info.
magus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerary Planning Reply with quote

Asturias wrote:
Yes, it's exactly this Itinerary Planning that I use. Since I'm usually looking for a sequence of roads I have to do it by map position. That means lots of scrolling, change of zoom position etc. It is this I referred to as the devil's own job. Also when scrolling a map the TT Rider often takes a scroll as an "enter" and adds a spurious position that has to be deleted. (I will use a Palm stylus in future, that might help with accuracy and the screen sensitivity).

This would all be so much easier on a PC screen. In fact in order to set an itinerary I open Auroroute on my PC so that I can see the road layouts at a sensible scale and keep the whole thing in perspective. Otherwisee it is impossible to program a complex itinerary accurately, trust me.

I find the Rider great for point-to-point navigation and instructions are clear and very audible- even though I always wear earplugs. In fact the ability to do complex itineraries is a great feature, I'd just like it to be easier to use.

Absolutely + 1 on this comment. It's the reason that Garmin's MapSource is such a nice feature - it allows you to define complex routes on the PC and then easily move them to a Garmin GPS. It's not that you can't build complex itineraries with TT Rider, I do it all the time, it's just that it could be so much easier if you didn't have to do it via the small screen on the unit.

I'm happy with the latest TT version release but I think that when the Garmin zumo comes out this Fall, that the Rider will be a second choice for motorcycle GPS because of the lack of a smooth PC mapping interface.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerary Planning Reply with quote

magus wrote:
Garmin's MapSource is such a nice feature - it allows you to define complex routes on the PC and then easily move them to a Garmin GPS.

Agree 101% with you here. It's a fantastic feature. I preplan my route whenever I can and throw in some "scenic" routes. If I run short of time then I just let the Quest revert to the Quickest to make up some time.

It's also good to mark scenic roads that you enjoyed riding on so you remember to include them next trip.

You can also review the tracklog of where you went, and add/remove/edit waypoints.
morag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: USING RIDER WITH AUTOCOM SYSTEM Reply with quote

Whilst the Tomtom Rider is very good value for money, two problems need to be addressed ! . Firstly, the headset supplied could be greatly improved by using twin earpieces rather than just one.
Secondly, When used with a AUTOCOM System, whilst voice commands from GPS and incoming speech from phone are clear and of a good volume level, the outgoing speech from phone simply does not happen ! No audible volume to outgoing speech, possibly the result of mismatch or the tomtom bluetooth not having enough power to drive the Autocom headset.
Can anybody offer any advise
Thanks in advance......Ron
officejunky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Secondly, When used with a AUTOCOM System, whilst voice commands from GPS and incoming speech from phone are clear and of a good volume level, the outgoing speech from phone simply does not happen ! No audible volume to outgoing speech, possibly the result of mismatch or the tomtom bluetooth not having enough power to drive the Autocom headset.

I spent a lot of time (and money) trying to sort out the audio on my Rider. I bought a special lead from Autocom which was supposed to match the Bluetooth to the Autocom unit and also found the incoming sound (to the ears from phone and Rider) were OK, the outgoing sound (from the mic) was useless. Autocom said it wasn't possible as the Bluetooth unit didn't have enough power. Sad

What I don't understand is, the power to drive the microphone input on the Bluetooth comes from the Autocom unit and not the Bluetooth. Why can't the Autocom unit produce sufficient current to make audible outgoing sound through the Rider. Question

On this basis alone I find that the TomTom Rider is useless - why would I want to have a seperate connection for the phone and the Rider and then not be able to use the Rider screen to manage the phone calls.

Autocom mentioned there was a Rider 2 due shortly - does anyone know anything about this?
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard anything about a RIDER 2. I would be very interested to hear if anyone else knows something.
gwb54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Link Tom Tom Rider to Autocom Intercom System Reply with quote

For anyone wanting to link their Rider to an Autocom system. I asked TomTom, and received a rather stuffy reply that "We don't support third party systems".

However, it turns out that Autocom make a part to do that - I asked them, and the reply was:

You can use our Part 1297 £24 to get you connected to a TomTom Rider.

The part will plug into the BT dongle and then run via an isolation block to a 3.5 mm jack plug which will plug into the phone socket on the system.

Ordering wise someone can take your order over the phone no problems

Autocom Products Ltd

Unit 4
Tachbrook Link
Tachbrook Park Drive
Warwick
CV34 6RH

01926 431249
officejunky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, it turns out that Autocom make a part to do that - I asked them, and the reply was:

You can use our Part 1297 £24 to get you connected to a TomTom Rider.

I bought the Autocom part and it doesn't work. I can hear the sound OK (Rider & phone) but no one can hear me on the phone.

I talked to someone (Richard in tech support I think) who said that it doesn't always work - so I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm about to try soldering up my own lead from a configuration someone in younav.com forum said worked for him. This was a direct 4pole to 3pole conversion.

According to andywond in that forum the 2.5mm 4pole connects to the BT and the 3pole 3.5mm connects to Autocom.

Counting the tip as contact 1:

2.5mm ------ 3.5mm
1 ----------- 2
2 ----------- 1
3 ----------- 3
4 ----------- 3

I hope to make up a lead over the weekend and see if it's better than the Autocom product - which shouldn't be too difficult.
gwb54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I bought the Autocom part and it doesn't work. I can hear the sound OK (Rider & phone) but no one can hear me on the phone.

Sounds like it's not up to the job then. I was going to buy a Rider, but I think I'll go for a Garmin Quest - the whole thing is hard wired and works well, including the phone - have seen one in action.

In the meantime ( if this is of use to anyone! ) I'm using my TomTom 910 on the bike. It's a cruiser, (VN1600) and so has a windscreen that supports the car (suction cup) mount fine. Will it fall off? I wondered that, but it stayed absoultely firm during a 100+ mile run, sited low down just above the bars.

Waterproof? I have a small elasticated bag to go over it, should the need arise. They do say in the manual to simply wipe the thing off if it gets wet, so it must have a degree of resistance.

Connect the output on the TomTom mount to the Autocom with the cable supplied, and voice prompts in the helmet OK.

Connect the phone to the Autocom with the cable supplied for it, and that works OK too. Only problem is stowing the phone, but as the bike has panniers, it goes in there fine.

The screen is a bit of a problem to see in sunlight, but polarizing sunglasses help.

Regards

GB
magus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to the US Product Manager for the TT Rider today at the 2007 Motorcycle Dealer Expo and he told me that there was going to be a software upgrade release in a couple fo months that would signifigantly improve the Rider's ability to pair with a bluetooth device other than a phone. I have been struggling to get my Rider to connect to a BT speaker phone and in a very quick test, could not get the newish Nolan BT helmet to pair with the Rider either.

I still think that TT does not have a very good handle on the pairing issue outside of the provided headset - the answers, when you can get them, are so vague one gets the feeling they have not sat down with a BT helmet and even tried this - which seems absolutely amazing to me.
kash_ahm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

So am i right in assuming that the TT Rider doesnt have any settings to connect to a bluetooth headset (like the ones in a Caberg GT Helmet). Is it perhaps to do with the default code etc? or is it just simply that you can only connect to the scala system and or a mobile phone?

Any help appreciated.

Kash
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kash_ahm wrote:
Hi

So am i right in assuming that the TT Rider doesnt have any settings to connect to a bluetooth headset (like the ones in a Caberg GT Helmet). Is it perhaps to do with the default code etc? or is it just simply that you can only connect to the scala system and or a mobile phone?

Any help appreciated.

Kash

It also works with Nolan N-Com Helmets and the 'Spyball Hello Biker' headset. See RIDER helmet compatibility
tonylathes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: No line out... Reply with quote

I would love to buy the TomTom, I love the interface - but the lack of a built-in speaker, no line out to helmet speakers or ear buds and a pathetic volume at speed means I'll keep using my Go750. This is fitted to a mount with a line-out - and protection provided by a plastic bag when it rains.
I had a Garmin Zumo 660 for a year but just could not get on with it - bings and bongs instead of spoken warnings being my per hate. Yes, I know it's possible to engineering in a voice using a third-party patch job - but, honestly, who wants to bother.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine with the BT headset and it's always worked well, much more convenient than having wires to connect.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, be aware that the majority of this post is from 2006/7. I believe things have changed a lot since then and not necessarily for the better Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: