Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic FM Signal and Antenna
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic FM Signal and Antenna
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Traffic FM Signal and Antenna Reply with quote

Hi

I have a X-950t and really finding it useful, however I am having problems getting a good signal strength using the standard antenna it comes equipped with the unit.

I have tried placing it along the bottom of the window, however only about 20% of the time do I have a signal which can detect any traffic news.

I live in the East Midlands (UK) which is not exactly a bad spot for picking up radio signals, so wondered if any members here had any advice?
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi glidem,
Do you have a tinted glass windscreen?
If so they are coated with a metal spray which prevents the GPS signal getting through.

I believe there is one patch that is clear I think its for Mobile phone aerials but you will need an extention aerial to access it.

If this is not possible the extetention areal can be routed external to the car possibly inside the door mirror.

If you do not have a tinted screen the unit may be defective.

Hope this helps.

Denisw
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read on other forums, it isn't tinted windsceens that cause this problem, but heat reflective ones.

I have quite a heavily tinted screen and I have no problems at all.
Larkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic FM Signal and Antenna Reply with quote

glidem wrote:
I have tried placing it along the bottom of the window, however only about 20% of the time do I have a signal which can detect any traffic news.

I live in the East Midlands (UK) which is not exactly a bad spot for picking up radio signals, so wondered if any members here had any advice?

I often do not receive a TMC signal, I am also in the East Midlands, I have my X930 mounted on the right had side of the dash with the TMC aerial going up the side of the windscreen & pushed into the rubber seal to hide it, this worked better for me than along the bottom of the windscreen.
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have made the aerial longer really.
Larkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glidem wrote:
They should have made the aerial longer really.

Then you'd complain it's too long & looks unsightly Smile
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he maybe.... either way we lose out Smile
Larkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glidem wrote:
He he maybe.... either way we lose out Smile

At my house I don't get a traffic info signal but a few miles up the road & it's ok, ive only ever seen the signal strength in the 1st 2 bars though, maybe it's the east midlands area & not the unit itself, this is my first sat nav unit so can't compare the X930 to anything else, bu so far I'm really happy with mine, I've mainly been using it in free mode, btw have you downloaded & installed the speed cam POIs ? I haven't yet as I use a mac & the viamchelin poi manager only works on pc's Sad
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the X-950-t I really like, I have got a better reception now but it only seems to kick in when I join the M1 where I live.

I have installed the Speed Cam files, great stuff it really is! Just wish I could get the National Trust ones to work.
bobmred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We meet again, glidem

I had the same problem. Terrible, almost always non-existent, TMC reception. Problem made worse because I have my X-950T mounted out of casual sight, inside the binnacle. By the time the antenna gets to the screen, there are just a few inches left.

I don't claim the following to be the definitive solution, but it works for me, mostly.

I got a Hirschmann amplified antenna, model 'HIT AUTA 60 EL'.

It is generally around 25GBP+, though after I paid that, I discovered that CPC-Farnell have it for much less (under 10GBP). See:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp;jsessionid=ST5ZRROWJHCFXQFIAEXEPLQ?SKU=AP01161

After some experimentation, I mounted it horizontally it at the top of the windscreen. (I know: that makes it directional, but it is out of my visual field there.) The cable is long enough to run around the screen and under the dash to the X-950. And I soldered the centre wire to the (cut off) original antenna wire. (Yes, I could have used a new jack plug - the signal goes to the tip - but I was in a hurry.)

The Hirshmann is/can be amplified, but even without giving it power I got a better signal than from the original antenna (say one 'bar' more on the display). With power (12v across the second wire and the signal outer) , I reckon I get another 'bar'.

No hugs please, I'm British

BobM
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hugs? SHOCKING!

Seriously thanks again, I will have to have a look at this solution.
bobmred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. I am sorry, glidem. I think I misled you - and myself for that matter.

I reported on success with the Hirschmann before I'd tidied up the lead that trailed around the edge of the screen. But once I tucked the lead away, behind the trim, the performance dropped down to near-useless again.

I also tried a Blaupunkt 'Autofun' amplified antenna, with slightly better but similar results.

I suspected I might be getting signal pick-up in the lead. Sure enough, when I tried a length of untuned 2.5mm mains cable trailed around the top and side of the windscreen, I got far, far better results than anything else so far!

And that is my presently preferred option. (I have other problems with screening of the cable when I try to hide it, and I think I'm going to try to a conductive pen on the glass next, for a neater solution.)

Groan. Apologies for the mis-direction.
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Smile When you are happy with the results, could you post some images?
bobmred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. But better do some work for a change. This is becoming an obsession. I'm not even convinced about the re-routing. When I did recently have a good signal and indeed received advanced warning of very heavy traffic further ahead on the motorway, the X-950 didn't divert at all (and yes - I did have automatic re-routing switched on).

Oooooh - here I go again. Back to work.
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed that and the manual re-route option is a pain to access on the move.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: