Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket GPS Awards 2003
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket GPS Awards 2003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Pocket GPS Awards 2003 Reply with quote

This is the first annual awards of GPS products for PocketGPSWorld.com. We decided it was about time that GPS manufacturers were rewarded and receive recognition for the products they create, so we decided for the year end of 2003 we would create a new award ceremony, and this would be called the PocketGPSWorld.com Awards 2003. The Team and Reviewers at PocketGPSWorld.com would look at products that have been released but more importantly reviewed by PocketGPSWorld.com within 2003 and these products would then be voted on bearing in mind both the product, the review and the experience gained by each team member.

The full Awards Ceremony with winners can be located at
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/pocket-gps-world-awards-2003.php
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea.

One comment - Given how many people have reported problems with the TomTom Bluetooth receiver, I'm surprised to see it come third. I would have expected a "don't touch it with a barge pole" rating.

The Fortuna GPSmart, on the other hand, is a pretty good Bluetooth receiver and also has an LCD screen, allowing it to be used as a handheld GPS as well.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately every product has it's problems, I don't think we've found a single product that doesn't have some failure rate, or issue with features or how they are implemented. The TomTom BT GPS is one of the most popular brands that are selling, mainly because people are purchasing it with TomTom Navigator 2. There have been quite a few failures, but the majority of these do seem to be due to overcharging with the wrong chargers (e.g. iPAQ chargers) or other in-car chargers, and couple that with the amount of non-failures, it is only a small percentage that are failing.

The Fortuna GPSmart really hasn't been welcomed all that well in the market place. I have recently spoken to a number of UK retailers who advertise these, and most have only sold single digit units, the sample we received had lack lustre performance, the screen technology was pretty poor etc.

It is always difficult to rate, and decide which GPS Receiver should be rated over another both in ratings and awards, there will always be winners and losers, some people will agree and some disagree, but we try to make sure the decisions we make are based on the true facts.
CRAMBO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suprised not to see the Magellan SporTrakCOLOR...getting an award 8O but I suppose if you have'nt had the chance to review it, maybe next year...( Magellan SporTrakCOLOR owner Thumbs Up )
Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: 2003 awards Reply with quote

Dave - i think I will probably end up going for a Compact Flash GPS receiver over and above pehaps a bluetooth device what do you think? also I want to add some memory to my IPAQ 2210 now, do you think flash or secure (I was looking at 128mb) and will it be OK when I add the GPS?

Thanks Thumbs Up
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl

If you want to go for a CF GPS then I would recommed going for SD memory.

I would be tempted to look at getting 256 rather than 128, to guarantee that you will be able to get your maps on and have a bit of space left.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRAMBO wrote:
I'm suprised not to see the Magellan SporTrakCOLOR...getting an award 8O but I suppose if you have'nt had the chance to review it, maybe next year...( Magellan SporTrakCOLOR owner Thumbs Up )

Actually it is currently in review, and it's a nice receiver, but just missed out in time by a short whisker for the awards, it will make it in for the 2004 Awards as anything reviewed in 2004 will be entered into the 2004 Awards.
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

With regard to your comment about the TOMTOM Bluetooth failures being due to overcharging with wrong chargers, in particular you mention IPAQ.

I currently have the Ipaq 1940 / TT BT Kit and have the BT cradle permanently wired in to my car ignition and the Ipaq cradle the same way.

I use my GPS about once a week and when not in use it is lifted from the cradle and turned off.

I also occasionaly use it in my wifes car at which time I use the car, cigarette socket, charger provided with my IPaq, which splits in to 2 and supplies both the Ipaq and the BT GPS.

Is there anything differant that I should be doing in order to protect the BT GPS which I have to say has been a revelation for me.

Not very good at reading maps and a typical man, don't like stopping to ask directions

Regards

Alan :
Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't any way of being extra careful to protect it unfortunately. They just seem to give up the ghost after a period of time. Some people have been okay, some people have had 2 or 3 before they've changed models, there's no real reason but it does appear to be an overcharging issue. So I suppose the only thing I wouldn't do is keep it permanently powered or charge it, then unplug and recharge it.
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the reply

I'll just keep my fingers crossed

Alan Happy
Vanilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a Ton for all the reviews. I see the X6 didn't make the top 3, that's worrying.

I'm thinking of buying the Rikaline 6021 X6 GPS CF for my Dell Axim X5.
I'm going for this one because it's the only CF Slot GPS card I can find that comes in a bundle (pdamods.com). Why arn't there more CF bundles around? Sad

I can hardly find any information about this card and the info I can find on here is all about people having problems.

Has anyone got this one to work? Should I go ahead and buy it in a bundle with tomtom3? or should I avoid it like the plague?

Thanks for any info

Vanilla

ps - Also, does the card work ok even when it's not against the windscreen? I kinda wanna mount the GPS low and not right against the window
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't read the review, check here
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/rikalinex6.php

There were problems initially in the review where the card wouldn't work with PPC2003 devices. We had to go through a lengthy ROM update routine to resolve this issue, I was told that all new cards had the new version but there have been a few complaints here and there where people haven't been able to use them under PPC2003.

The only thing I would say about Rikaline is that quality really isn't in their vocabulary. We had problems with the X6 and also have an X7 here which is DOA, many others have had problems with the X7 being DOA or failing shortly after, and also problems with the X5 and 6010 (although we didn't have any issues with these).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: