Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio C510E - editing speed cams on device?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio C510E - editing speed cams on device?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ansalmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Mio C510E - editing speed cams on device? Reply with quote

I have a couple of quick questions regarding editing speed cams on the C510E:

Question If I have my preferences set to mph rather than km/h (I'm in the UK), is the camera speed that you enter in mph or km/h? The user manual I read states km/h, but I'm hoping that's a mistake.

Question What on earth do the direction icons mean? This isn't covered well in the documentation. I'm keen to correct the cameras around my area that are shown with the "exploding arrows" icon but which have been fixed to one direction for years.

Thanks for any help.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ansalmo.

Welcome to the forum.
1. The camera speed you enter is in mph.

2. The direction icons mean that is the direction you will be warned when approaching a camera, so you have to select the arrow that faces in the same direction as the camera.
However you will find some weird things happen with this function.
I have added 5 cameras to mine that were not on the original database and, on two of them, when I went to select the direction arrow it only gave me the option of left, right, left & right and the 4 way option. Not much use when you need the up & down arrow!
I've had to use the 4 way arrow for these one's but now I get warned when approaching from both directions. Evil or Very Mad
Contacted Mio about this problem two months ago, but like everyone else, didn't get an answer.

Hope this helps.

CeeJay.
ansalmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CeeJay. Sounds like your findings back up mine regarding the direction icons - on the map I was looking at, the road is shown as heading from the SW to the NE, but the direction icons I'm given for the camera are pointing NW and SE! I've had to use the multi-direction icon for now.
Swordsmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Speedcam directions Reply with quote

Hi

This thread has been silent for a couple of weeks,
Have anyone figured out why this direction problem occurs?
It is very annoying, having 5 speedcams on a road I travel several times a week and having to use the 4direction option.
amtwap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi swordsmaker.

I've had a similar problem, but I managed to get it working in the end.
I zoomed in as much as possible on the road where the speed camera is. When I press the screen to position the blue circle where I want the POI for the speedcam I make sure that the circle is smack bang in the middle of the road. It should then pick up the direction of the road and offer the appropriate direction arrows. This seems to work for me.

Also, when adding info for mobile speed cam's that sit on bridges over motorways, you may need to set the POI on the motorway itself and not the bridge. If it's on the bridge then it will only give you the arrows of the direction of the bridge and not the motorway.

It's a pity that you can't enter a speed on the mobile cam's. Has anyone got a software fix for this? To get around it I enter them as fixed cam's instead.

Ade
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amtwap wrote:
Hi swordsmaker.

I've had a similar problem, but I managed to get it working in the end.
I zoomed in as much as possible on the road where the speed camera is. When I press the screen to position the blue circle where I want the POI for the speedcam I make sure that the circle is smack bang in the middle of the road. It should then pick up the direction of the road and offer the appropriate direction arrows. This seems to work for me.

Ade

Hi amtwap

Thanks for the tip.
I tried your idea and it works fine for adding a camera but I still have grief with editing existing cameras.
I have found the only way round it for me is to delete the original one and 'add cam' in exactly the same place, then all the direction arrows are correct.
Someone on here mentioned that the PGPSW database does not have direction info on it as well, just to compound the problem a little bit more.
But for now I'm still chuffed we can use the PGPSW database. :D

CeeJay
amtwap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CeeJay,

Yes I got the same problem when trying to modify an existing camera. I too had to delete it and re-enter it, then the correct direction arrows came up.

I made some other observations on the speed cameras here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45013
It goes on a bit :D but I think it explains why a lot of the speed cam's downloaded from Mio do not have the direction arrows set correctly.

I'm off to France next week so the Mio is going to get a good test then. I also persuaded a colleague in work to buy a Mio rather than a TomTom. His deciding factor (like mine) was cost - you can't really justify an extra £200 for the top of the range TomTom when the Mio C510E does everything you want.

Ade.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amtwap wrote:
Hi CeeJay,

I also persuaded a colleague in work to buy a Mio rather than a TomTom. His deciding factor (like mine) was cost - you can't really justify an extra £200 for the top of the range TomTom when the Mio C510E does everything you want.

Ade.

Hi amtwap.

I used to own the TT910 and I have to say this thing leaves it standing.
TT even had the audacity to release it without the TMC function working.
Don't know about now, but even 2 months after it's release TMC was still not available.
And as for the size of it, well that's another story.

CeeJay.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: