Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 3 - Loading POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 3 - Loading POIs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Garmin 3 - Loading POIs Reply with quote

My i3 arrived today and this evening I'm trying to load the Garmin POI's and the speed camera database. I've followed all the instructions and unzipped both files to the same directory and then pointed POI Loader to this directory and clicked on Next. After a minute or two POI Loader comes up with an error message saying there isn't enough room and I should delete some POIs and try again. I've done this repeatedly - first deleting all the McDonalds, KFCs etc until I had deleted all but the speed cameras. Still it said there was not enough room. I've now deleted all but the Gatso cameras and it still says there is no room. I get the impression that the memory inside the Garmin was filled with my first attempt and that I need to clear the memory somehow but I don't know how.

HELP!!!

TIA john
paul2000ad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I'd love to know the answer to this one too.
Can anyone help? Please?? Searched and searched but could not find the answer.
Thanx.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these units have cards? If not you will need to buy a micro sd card before you can install any POIs. You will also need a card reader. When you plug in the card reader with the card inserted and launch POILoader the card will be included under 'Device Settings', and you can select to write to the card.

If they have cards already, what happens if you remove the card and then switch it on?

If it can't find the maps you have one of the old style units with mapping on the card. These install the POIs and speed cameras OK for those of us who've had them for a while, and you may have to phone Garmin for an explanation as to why the new ones don't do so, and ask them how to add POIs.

If it finds the maps it's one of the new units with onboard memory, but seems to have been shipped with a card, so the first paragraph of this post will apply.

I hope I haven't confused you as much as I've confused myself. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My unit does have a card but I thought that was just to hold the map. Don't know if the POIs are stored there as well.

I have found a workaround to loading the POIs though. I was using the "Express" (if that was what it was called) option in POI Loader to try and load the POIs and Speed cameras. I found that if I chose the "Manual" option then they seem to load ok.

John
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the POIs are stored on the card, but obviously if the maps are on the card it leaves plenty of room in the unit's memory for POIs. It would seem that if the maps are stored onboard it leaves room for very few POIs.
Samsung Galaxy S21
paul2000ad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying Anita. Much appreciated. Remember a program years ago called 'Soap'. Confused? You will be! Well thats a bit how I feel. Hehe.
Think I've got the jist of it now......I think.
Got my i3 yesterday. Came with a transflash card. It was not letting me store both the POI's AND the speed cam data. One or the other, but not both as it said there was not enough space available.
From reading through posts on this site for almost 3 hours, it seems that what I have to do is take the card out of the i3, place it into an adapter to enable it to fit into the SD card slot on the front of my PC, then I can direct the POI loader to download the POI's AND speed cams to the card inserted into my PC and all should be hunky dory (I hope!!).
I read in one of the 14,000 posts 8O I browsed through that it has to be done this way (apparently) because the POI loader cannot download to the transflash card whilst it is inside the i3. It can only download direct to the i3's internal memory. Oh well, hopefully this workaround will erm.....work!
So will go and get a card adapter and try it this way. Hey, it wouldn't be much fun it was too easy now, would it?? Twisted Evil
smeganb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I too got my i3 last week (from Comet, £99) and also had problems loading the POI's using the loader.
I created a second folder and moved the unwanted csv and bm files into that one but still had no joy.
However when I pointed the POI to the second folder with my discarded POI's in, it happily loaded all in (around 1400). Once this forst one owrked I just kept adding files to the second foldr and have now got 21,000+ on the i3.
Hope this helps
Rich
paul2000ad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg, I believe that when new POI's are downloaded to the i3, the old ones are overwritten (again, this info is what I have been led to believe from reading the millions of posts on here, but someone please feel free to jump in and correct me if I am misinformed-I am the original novice!).
So each time you added another batch of POI's to the i3, are you sure the previous ones you added were not over-written by the most recent ones, and so on? Thus leading you to believe that you have added all 21,000+ POI's, but really all that is now on your i3 is the last batch that you downloaded to it?
Think that is why we have to put POI's and Speed Cam data both in the same folder so that everything is downloaded to the i3 at once.
Again, anyone who understands the logic behind these things please tell me if this is RIGHT or WRONG??
Thank you all.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you add POIs and then load another lot ALL the previously loaded POIs are wiped out and THEN the new ones are loaded.

All POIs need to be be loaded together and in one go.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Paul (that's paul2000ad!), you're right that when you load POIs via POILoader any already on the unit are overwritten. However, I read smeganb's post as saying that he kept increasing the number in the folder on his pc before uploading it, so that he was loading all of the POIs at once. Maybe I read it wrong!

Can anyone tell us what's on the card that's coming with the new i3's from Comet, as the units seem to be behaving like those with the maps stored onboard, and you don't usually get a card with those. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
smeganb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul (s). Sorry for the confusion.
I was having a problem loading all the POI's in one go, "not enough space" etc.
On using the second folder to load the inital batch I managed a successful load of 1400 or so POI's. Once I got that to work I just kept adding csv's to that folder and running the load again, ie the original csv's plus a couple more. I thought this the best way as I wasn't sure when I'd reach the limit. Each time, the new and old POI's were loaded onto the i3 successfully and the message confirmed the total number of POI's had increased. If I had removed any of the csv's after loading then those entries would have been wiped on the next load.
Think of it as shooping. Once the first load worked, I just kept adding csv's to the "basket" and running the loader again.
I hope that clarifies my post
Cheers
Rich
paul2000ad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming that Anita. Not sure what's on the card that came with my i3. Will have a look when wifey gets home with it and let you know (if i can work out how to!)
Smeg, thanks for the clarification. You've obviously found a great way to load it up. Nice one! I think I may try that.
Thanks all.
paul2000ad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it your way Smeg and it worked a treat. I didn't manage to load ALL the csv files onto the i3 (I had to leave some off cos it started whinging about lack of space again, so I left off Waitroses's, Wifi's and 1 other) but it accepted all the others, eventually, so am pleased we're getting somewhere at last. Thanks again for that tip Smeg.

Ok Anita, with the CARD IN, the screen displays the following options:-

GO HOME
ADDRESS
FOOD HOTELS & MORE (with ALL the subsections listed after selecting this option)
RECENT FINDS
MY FAVOURITES
INTERSECTIONS
CITIES

====================================

and with the CARD REMOVED, the screen displays these options:-

GO HOME
FOOD HOTELS & MORE (with just CUSTOM POINTS being listed after selecting this option)
RECENT FINDS
MY FAVOURITES
CITIES

So this must mean that the card stores ADDRESSES, INTERSECTIONS and the FOOD HOTELS & MORE information (excepting custom points).

Going bed now as my eyes are refusing to remain open and I'm up for work again in 4½ hours. Nite all!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the list, Paul. Are you able to 'View map' with the card out?
Samsung Galaxy S21
dendroica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem as Paul/Smeg. I couldn't get all POI (general POIs and speed cams) on, as got the same "lack of space error". However, i looked at the files and removed the largest few that I personally didn't really need (WiFi, Fish n Chips, UK mountains) and hey presto - all fitted fine.

Anita - in answer to your question, with the card out. my unit requests maps on start up. I guess this confirms the map is on the card. Once on, if you remove the card, all custom POIs are still there. This says to me that these are stored in unit memory...

Cheers
D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: