Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio Digi Walker P550
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio Digi Walker P550
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p1lts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of the previous posts suggest running visualgps in the background whilst running TT5. I can't do this as TT reports no GPS device whilst visualgps is running.
Am I doing something wrong?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said earlier
Quote:
It would appear from all this that the settings should be GGA 1, GLL 0, GSA 5, GSV 5, RMC 1, VTG 0, MSS 0.

But have since read that TT uses only the GSA, GSV and RMC $trings. I re-set GGA to 0 and TT's still working fine. (I still want to do a few more varying trips to make sure I have done the right thing).

Using Winfast Navigator CE to check and set the baud rate on a Mio P350 gives 4800.

Here is some info. on baud rates.

the NMEA standard is 4800 baud with 8 bits of data, no parity, and one stop bit. All units that support NMEA should support this speed. Note that, at a baud rate of 4800, you can easily send enough data to more than fill a full second of time. For this reason some units only send updates every two seconds or may send some data every second while reserving other data to be sent less often. In addition some units may send data a couple of seconds old while other units may send data that is collected within the second it is sent. Generally time is sent in some field within each second so it is pretty easy to figure out what a particular gps is doing. Some sentences may be sent only during a particular action of the receiver such as while following a route while other receivers may always send the sentence and just null out the values.
sdrury3472
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Message to Mio p550 users Reply with quote

Message to Mio users who have bought P550 before August 2006
Mio Technology announces that some users of the Mio P550 PDA may experience weaker than normal GPS reception leading to difficulties in securing a fix on the satellite signal. This condition affects approximately 9% of Mio P550 units that were sold before August 2006. This is a result of a component failure which frequently leads to prolonged time (more than 3 minutes) to fix on the satellite signal.

Users are invited to return affected units to their point of sale where they will be sent on to the respective Mio Repair Centre and repaired free of charge. If returning the device to the original point of sale is not possible, please contact your local hotline number.Dial this number:0905-4640010(0.35 £ / Min.)

As an added precaution, the remaining inventory of Mio P550 at dealers or distributor in Europe is being returned for verification and replacement, if necessary.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TSB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
I have just purchased a Mio p550 and Tom Tom 5.21, I to like others in this furum had difficulties in obtaining a fix and so I searched the various furums.
I then contacted Mitac and on their web site for the p550 there is a statement as follows: about 9% of the units made in europe have a fault with the gps, and there is a call back from all suppliers and distributers. So, if you have purchased a unit in the last few weeks you may find, like I did, a pre paid post bag coming your way, that is after you have contacted Mitac by phone 35p a min.
My unit has gone of to Comserve in this bag Oh forgot to say Mitac are using Comserve network to do repairs? upgrades or what ever.
roxdj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i Purchased a P550 from Handtech last week installed Navigon no prob but no fix on any sat`s
Returning to Handtech for them to install , config and test will let you know how it turns out
richlewt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I bought my P550 3 weeks ago and have struggled to get TT to run correctly. I have followed all advice given in this thread. I get a fairly quick fix at home but away from home can take up to 20 mins. Spoke to Mitac and they sent me a return paid envelope within a day. Its going back to them for alignment?
Anyone else had theirs returned? if so, any better?
I will let you know what happens.
TSB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
here's the latest update on my p550 that went for repair over a week ago, 8) yes you guessed it!!!, it has not come back yet Crying or Very sad . But I have had my latest phone bill and the two calls to Mitac cost me £4.20 Evil or Very Mad . Will keep you updated if it ever comes back.
TSB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest and last update on my Mio p550 is as follows: By mistake Twisted Evil I sent a couple of e-mails to the sales dept of Mitac who unlike their support dept responded and have indicated the arival of a brand new unit with UPS asap. Laughing Laughing Laughing
gordonscottish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which email address did you use. They got my P550 too! Sad
TSB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the e-mail address I used was sales@mitac.be this is listed as Telford uk head office. The reason I tried this address is I had no reply from the PDA support address Evil or Very Mad and I told them this in my e-mail. My unit was recieved by the repairers on the 15/08/06, I thought if my unit is sufering from the fault that Mytac had published, then it would be simple to repair (a week or so) Confused . After two weeks and no reply from anybody Sad I just took a stab in the dark at a site fairly local to me Idea . hope this helps, best of luck. Wink
roxdj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After returning my P550 Mid Aug it has just been returned .
With Tom Tom 5 instaled and working paid extra £59.99 +vat
Hand Tech sent a little note saying that the unit has been replaced as the original unit was faulty
On checking their site they seem to lowered the price from £203 + vat to £ 192 + vat
I have paid £11 more Sad and im just getting to use it
Date 11/9/2006
will use and give opion at a later date Rolling Eyes
MOLI
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indecisive wrote:

I've also installed VisualGPS which does seem to pick up a signal faster than tomtom.

I also had problems getting a fix with TTN 5.21 on P550.
I decided to upgrade to TTN 6 and as far as I can se, it is much faster getting a fix then TTN 5.21.

I guess that TTN 5.21 is just not 100% compatible with Windows Mobile 5.
TSB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, after looking on this forum and others it appears I have paid the least amount for my unit, 8) even though it did not access the sats. Evil or Very Mad I feel a little better now that I have seen some of the prices that others have paid. Wink Maybe I should not have complained so much, and just look forward to my new unit's arrival as stated above in my other mails.
My unit was aquired by a mate who had a small win on the old loto, 8) who has retired abroad. In all I have paid a total of £154.05 with Tom Tom Nav 5.21, Wink Wink and so I can understand why others are a little bitter towards their Mio p55o's.
I will as state before keep you informed when the new one arrives.
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been playing with my 550 for a week now and it does take a while to lock on first thing, but once locked is as good as my tomtom 300, I usually have 8 sattys locked at any one time,oh am using tt version 6...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: