Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - READ ERRORS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

READ ERRORS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: READ ERRORS Reply with quote

I get occassional "read errors", which I think I can contribute to switching to map mode too soon after submitting the route to be calculated. I can click away the error several times, upon which it disappears for good. Though sometimes, I need to do a reboot. And sometimes the read error occurs out of the blue.

Have you come across this? Bug? If so, then let's try to fix it.

P.S. Apart from this little issue, the Navigon software works great.

Raff
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A read error would be more to do with the storage card you are using, than the program itself.
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, yes, quite likely. A bit odd the way I can click them away, though, allowing me to go on in the process.

As soon as I can reproduce the problem consistently, I'll post my findings. For now, it's not a major issue, however. If anyone gets them, by all means let me know.

Thanks for your input.

Raff
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also get read errors - though for me it seems to be when using the Route Planning option. Rebooting fixes the problem.
Never had it when using Navigation.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I power off the Medion when the nav app is running and then power it back on, within a few minutes I get a maap glitch where the cursor remains visible but all the map data is not displayed. A soft reset cures this but has anyone else observed this?
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching the Navigon software off and on during inopportune times (when it is processing) results in a pretty reproducable hang, which is cured by a soft reset, yes. Same if you don't follow the correct order of steps hooking it up to your car cigarette lighter.

Also, I get the occassional map glitch during simulation mode, whereby the red arrow stops moving for a few seconds, then jumps an inch to catch up.
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,

I'm in Holland (using the Benelux mapping).

BTW, the one little detail I haven't mentioned is the fact that upon approaching one such off-ramps, the Medion displays not one but 2 blue route lines, the original one along the road ahead and the bug-induced one requesting me to exit the highway. The second one disappears, as I pass the exit.

Meanwhile I have used the Medion in two different cars (same GPS) and it's exhibited this behavior in both, in fact multiple times during each trip. Well, at least it's blatant enough that you can ignore it. Let's just hope it won't send us on a wild goose-chase in an urban area. Confused

Raff
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, wrong forum. Pasting in "Making me exit the highway, then asks me to get back on asap"....
JaapN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Read error Reply with quote

Hi, I'm living in Holland and this read error is fabulous there too.

There is a patch at the Medion site:
www.medion.de/servicecenter/index.html

go to "downloads" and at "suche MD/LT Nummer DD/LT" give the devicenr "40600".

Than you will see the "Reg. Patch PDA Md 40600".

Unzip and execute the path in your mobile device (not in your PC).

I haven't got the error since.

BtW: is there anyone interested in swapping UK cards for Benelux/Ger?

Jaap
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaap, thanks for the pointer to the Medion patch.

On a seperate note, please don't ask for map swaps in these forums, we do not condone piracy of any sort. Whilst we have no wish to appear draconian we will take action against any forum member who persists in this regard. I'll say no more Stop!
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hai Jaap,

Yes, thanks for that patch URL. Let me just add, though, that I've come across a Dutch "Navigon" forum in which several readers noted that downloading and installing the patch did not alleviate these read errors.

I realize that the effectiveness of patches is partly dependent on the type and state of a unit's (O.S) software, as well as a user's skill level; I, nevertheless, opted, for the moment anyway, to give these readers the benefit of the doubt and decided to wait until I see an official explanation on this error by Medion or Navigon (in English, as my German is not up to par) and accompanying URL to that specific patch.

I should also say that I get the errors rarely now, and did get them initially only after entering data while the unit was apparently still storing my previous input.

Lang verhaal, maar je snap 't wel ;-)

P.S. FYI, I had a quick rummage around our local Aldi (Breda), and came across no fewer than 3 unsold PDA's!

Raff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: