Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Location Tracking on RTW Trip?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Location Tracking on RTW Trip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rscott4563
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: GPS Location Tracking on RTW Trip? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm just getting into GPS as I have recently bought a Dell Axim X51v and decided to get TT5 and a Globalsat BT GPS receiver.

I'm heading off round the world for a year in October backpacking and have started to think about the possibilities of tracking my journey for the purposes of a online diary and also using the GPS to be able to help me navigate when I go off trail in SE Asia, Australia, NZ and the USA.

Now the problem is I have no idea about what software i out there or what I would need??

I'm thinking something along the lines of a PocketPC version of a Ordinance Survey map but for the whole world (or at least the countries I'm visiting) which would show my location using my GPS receiver and possibly be able to track my movements and show them as a trail. Ideally the map would be zoomable from a whole country overview just showing which area I was in down to about 1:50,000 or preferably 1:25,000 or closer.

Is this possible or am I dreaming??

Would I be able to have something like a world google earth map or would it have to be country by country?

Any help much appreciated...

Cheers

Ryan :D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look at OziExplorer and learn how to calibrate your own scanned maps.

You already bought a GPS receiver but you may want to trade it in for a data logger device, like the WinTec WBT-100 I reviewed recently. That way yuo can track your journey without the need to keep the PocketPC on all the time.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ryan,

In terms of "Google Earth in your pocket", you're dreaming.

The OS 1:50k maps just for the UK are 3GBytes, the RRP typically £200 (Memory Map) and the memory card at least another £50. Even then, the maps are not "continuously zoomable" (because the text/detail gets too large/small), so these (raster scanned) maps are also provided in 1:250k and 1:1M versions. Furthermore, map data of the quality of OS maps just doesn't exist for many parts of the world.

For logging the track of your route, a handheld GPS would be much more suitable as it will typically run for up to 30 hours from a couple of AA cells, compared with perhaps 4 hours from a PPC's internal batteries. To store a year of tracklogs, either get one which has removeable memory cards, or download the tracks to your PPC (using Ozi Explorer or Memory Map European edition, etc.).

Also, a mapping handheld GPS will give you an almost "infinite" zoom range, but the map detail is very poor and/or expensive for high degrees of zoom. Take a look at the Worldmap on the Garmin Mapsource Viewer to see what is (and isn't) available.

TomTom can give you road mapping for most of those countries (at a price! ) but will be useless "off trail" and won't record your track log.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: