Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some more investigations this morning.

Firstly, the signal level goes up to 12, so anything under 3 is obviously a poor reception area (which I think is a secondary problem). After travelling for about 30 minutes this morning, I stopped for petrol, when I got back I had full traffic information, but, having studying it, I had just moved into the next radio station area, and was getting traffic from a different station.

So, although I have experience of the power supply problems (area of good signal giving no traffic until I replaced the cable), I equally have now seen areas of bad radio reception resulting in no traffic whatever.

On the whole though, my 100 mile journey this morning had plenty of traffic information available - of course, as the main route has lots of traffic every day of the week, most of my journey was actually on roads where there are no traffic sensors Smile
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had a maximum level of 13 last night which is when I received traffic data but for most of the journey it was at or below 7 and no data was being received. The reception via the car ariel of the radio stations was fine but the GTM12 was picking nothing up, even in London, until of course I plugged the nuvi etc. into a computer then hey presto, up came traffic data. There was not much data however and it appeared to be out of date, ie. routes it said were congested were not showing as congested on the internet (cross checked various websites) and I had actually physically drived those routes only 20 minutes earlier. This was at about 10:30pm so not that much traffic around, certainly not enough to creat 2 miles of congestion! So, even when data is received I don't personally feel its reliable.

Interestingly, in the diagnostics screen, the numbers in the last two rows (last message and message count from memory) were changing, along with the n-sync and error rows but in the traffic screen it said data was not available. Furthermore, in the settings / subscription screen, it showed RAC Live but said my subscription would only be activated when GPS and a FM signal were acquired. This strikes me as extremely odd, surely one activation the first time the GTM12 is used would me the common sense approach? Does this mean I am not subscribed and perhaps therefore explains why I am receiving "duff" information? Would be interested to know if anyone else has this problem.

Cheers - Nick
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right - are you running the latest GTM firmware (v3.70)?
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Error Reply with quote

I have had this error too, I have acquired a signal and received data but I used to get that error when no data could be received.
I respect your persistence here guys but I sent my aerial back to the shop this morning.

I sent Garmin a mail if they ever read it slamming them for selling a product that can only be used by the chosen few.
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the web-updater last night and it said I had all the new firmware on the nuvi already, so I assume I am using v3.7 (if this is the most up-to-date). I will check tonight on the actual unit though. Out of interest what doesn't sound quite right? :D
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: mine works (this evening) Reply with quote

Been reading all the posts - also the other thread about the charger LED colours.

I've had the feeling that my TMC has also not been working.
Although it did work when I first checked the unit after bringing it home from Halfords, it did not work when I tried it subsequently, but I suspect that the service was down on that occasion.

Anyway, I just tried connecting everything in my car.
I was quite expecting to have TMC problems and was going to try my phone charger cable, which is also mini-USB type.
Turned-out not to be necessary .....

The charger LED indicator is clear when there is no power and immediately went green as soon as I switched-on the ignition.
It stayed green when the nuvi powered-up (I suspect that the nuvi was already fully charged).
The nuvi started receiving traffic info within a few seconds of starting-up and this was quite a few seconds before it had completed its satellite acquisition.
I got the same result in my wife's car.

If anyone wants me to check into any particular point in further detail, let me know.
I last ran the web updater towards the end of July.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: GTM version Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 360 with the 2.52 Beta software but my GTM says its 3.60 - I have tried reloading 2.4 and 2.52 but no change. (Also audio says version 1.00 which is a bit worrying). Also GPS 2.7, Bluetooth 2.21.

How does that compare with others with a Nuvi 360?

Thanks
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parbrook,

I think many people who've bought 310D's might put intermittent reception down to just a poor signal rather than an issue with the GM12 receiver itself. I initially thought the same but became a little more concerned when I realised that when in areas where you'd expect to receive constant traffic data (M1,M25,M40,etc) there was often none or that it'd disappear after stopping and starting the engine as in when filling up with fuel.

It would be interesting to see if your Nuvi picks up traffic data, and if so how quickly, when the battery isn't fully charged and the power lead LED is red.
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: TMC Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
Parbrook,

I think many people who've bought 310D's might put intermittent reception down to just a poor signal rather than an issue with the GM12 receiver itself. I initially thought the same but became a little more concerned when I realised that when in areas where you'd expect to receive constant traffic data (M1,M25,M40,etc) there was often none or that it'd disappear after stopping and starting the engine as in when filling up with fuel.

It would be interesting to see if your Nuvi picks up traffic data, and if so how quickly, when the battery isn't fully charged and the power lead LED is red.

I'll give it a try and report back.
One point that I did not mention before is that I live in deepest Somerset, some way from what most people might consider to be "civilisaton" Wink
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been playing around using the diagnostic screen as a signal strength meter trying to find the best posistion for the aerial, now here's a little experiment you can all carry out.
Connect the Nuvi up to the charger and GTM12 and have it placed to the right of the steering wheel, open the drivers door 6 inches or so and stick the top of the aerial as far as you can on top of the frame that covers the top part of the glass, power the unit up and watch traffic info come flooding in.
My one liked to lock onto channel 82 with a signal level of 5.
Gently pull the door shut and watch the signal drop, take the aerial off the door and try to recreate that signal by moving the aerial in any way you can inside the car with the door closed.......can't even get a signal lock...... Evil or Very Mad
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC Reply with quote

parbrook wrote:

I'll give it a try and report back.
One point that I did not mention before is that I live in deepest Somerset, some way from what most people might consider to be "civilisaton" Wink

Exclamation Maybe we should all come and live and work in Somerset :D
At least our Nuvi's will work Rolling Eyes
ColinG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 360 & GTM12 Traffic Problems Reply with quote

Hi,
I initially had problems with my GTM12 (intermittant info - sometimes No Blue Icon, just like people describe in these threads)and I tried telephoning & emailing Garmin, but without any success.Could never get through after being on hold for 30,35 & 45 mins duration. Email's several weeks old and still no reply! Then for some reason, and I don't understand why, the unit now works perfectly. Within a few seconds or so of connection the Blue Icon lights up and feeds from Glasgow to deepest Cornwall - all show up, pages and pages of info with Maps of problem areas.
I live just off J23 M1 at Loughborough but I travel daily on business to Leeds,Hull, Wakefield, West Midlands and it works all the time, offering "better routes" to avoid heavy traffic and accidents. I'm really impressed but can only commiserate with those of you where it doesn't work.
I've discovered by chance another set of "hidden menus" which allows you to view all sorts of info, and which may be of interest to folk who understand such things , which I don't, so I've looked at but not touched.
To access, from Main Start Screen (Where To, View Map etc) Press and Hold with thumb the top Right of screen where Time is displayed for approx 10 secs and you will then go into Menus.
It shows Software Versions, Battery Voltage and Temp both Internal & External Connections, GTM10 (although mine is the GTM12) and Station Transmit Screens? and External Volts,Audio TestPage, Bluetooth Tests and several Video Screen Tests and loads of other stuff I don't understand.
To Exit the Menu - Switch unit Off from Main Switch, but when you Power unit back on, it will Cold Boot and lose its correct time setting. Simply ensure you are outside with a clear sky view and after a few seconds it will find Sats and recorrect the Time.
My Spec is SW Version 2.50, Audio 1.30,GTM 3.60,GPS 2.6 Bluetooth 2.21. I've got all latest downloads but I've opted not to download the Beta 2.52, as its not an official release yet.
My Cigar power lead light is always Red and I've never seen Green, and it is always fully charged although the yellow flash is permanently showing but I guess this just means its receiving mains power?

Hope this helps. :D
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one ColinG! How the heck did you find out about that one 8O
ColinG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 360 & GTM12 Traffic Problems Reply with quote

Hi JT-Mech,

I read on another thread (but I can't find it now!) about how to access some hidden menus (if you don't know how - then Go to View Map - press Speed Icon to get into secondary menu - Press and Hold "Overall Avg" or "Moving Av" Screen for about 6 secs+ and you will get into these hidden menus.
I just started playing around experimenting with various combinations but have only found the one I've now documented. I wonder if there are any more?

ColinG
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys - HELP!

Just checked my nuvi when I got home and the I'm using GPS SW2.7 but for GTM it says N/A! I have used webupdater to check for new software but it says I'm up to date. A manual search on the Garmin website is not bearing any fruit. Where can I download the latest version of the GTM software? I would really like to get this up and running before my early start tomorrow morning - in the hope that the GTM will perform! As for the green light when the nuvi is plugged in, you must be the lucky one!

Cheers - Nick

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 7 of 44

Jump to: