Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iGO 2006 review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iGO 2006 review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chaps..

Linknet-

About the turn right then left situation... Well spotted, how did I miss that one. Very useful. To be honest, I hadn't even considered that situation.
The obvious progression from was to amend my 'template bear' modification.. which I did.
By adding the '%then1', the results were mixed. Sometimes it would work, sometimes I would get a 'bear left then...' or 'bear next right then...' with no follow up. So I changed it to '%then' which works a treat.
Don't know why this should work or why the former didn't. Still looking into the difference between '%then', '%then1' or '%then3' etc. Maybe fable can answer that one.

CAPITALS
- It seems that CAPITALISED names of sound files eg 'turn' 'prepare_to' in 'commands_yd.csv' makes no difference, it still works. However, when I make the whole file capitals, there are no announcements. This is not definitive, I'm afraid testing has been limited.

Regards
Drogg
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravi wrote:
Cant see any mention of TMC on the 510 at all!

As far as the unit goes, I've had a day's mucking about with it and here's a quick summing up:

Be warned. Don't play with one unless you want to buy!!

Ravi
I bought one last Friday and I have no experience of other devices, as this is my first Satnav. The helpful people at GPSforLess recommended it (actually the C710) and like you I looked at the specs and decided that the C510E does pretty much the same for the purchase of a 1 Gb SD card for about £30 to £40 (no TMC though - do I need that?).

I have already added the UK female voice (Philippa) from the PDAMill site using bluetooth.

Worryingly, I have had two lockups where the device would not turn on, necessitating a hard reset.

Apart from that I like the device. The maps are good and the automatic changeover to night colours is very neat. The menu system is not the easiest but I have now got to grips with it (hopefully).

Peasemold
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Peasemold!
Please let us know how you added the voice. I could do with an alternative voice round about now!!

Ravi
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravi wrote:
Hey Peasemold!
Please let us know how you added the voice. I could do with an alternative voice round about now!!

Ravi

I mentioned it here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=42800

You need the bluetooth dongle on your PC, and go into the bluetooth settings page on the C510. You can then browse the flash file system. I just dropped the voice file into the "Voice" folder.

Peasemold
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drogg and linknet, I just completed an 800Km + drive from the Algarve to Lisbon and a lot of driving around Lisbon and the annoucements worked great. Thumbs Up Good work.

I did come across a few occasions where when travelling on a 4 lane motorway or 4 lane major raod where an 'offramp' would then split into 3 further branches all within metres of each other and all going in roughly the same direction and IGo couldn't or didn't seem to cope with this very well. It was difficult to understand which of the 3 branches off the offramp I was supposed to take. Looking at the map wasn't always easy as I was trying to watch the traffic so 7 out of 10 times I would end up on the wrong branch Sad. You sort of needed a 'take second branch' type of command.

Otherwise IGo worked well.
fable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Hi Fable,

I think I understand but could you please clarify with the following two example lines from Commands.csv.

,"500[more,set_1]*prepare_to_enter_roundabout","PREPARE_TO ENTER ROUNDABOUT IN %dist","prepare_to enter roundabout in %dist"
,"200[more,set_2]","*prepare_to_enter_roundabout","prepare_to enter roundabout in %dist"

Since the lines begin with a comma delimiter then I assume that there are four columns in total, the first being blank.

Am I also right in assuming that the fourth (last) column is just text which is not processed.

In which case the lines without comments become:

,"500[more,set_1]*prepare_to_enter_roundabout","PREPARE_TO ENTER ROUNDABOUT IN %dist",
,"200[more,set_2]","*prepare_to_enter_roundabout",

So *prepare_to_enter_roundabout holds the instruction "PREPARE_TO ENTER ROUNDABOUT IN %dist" from the previous line.

Therefore the lines would still function correctly if rewritten as:

,"500[more,set_1]","PREPARE_TO ENTER ROUNDABOUT IN %dist",
,"200[more,set_2]","PREPARE_TO ENTER ROUNDABOUT IN %dist",

And is the capitalisation important? Is this still Ok:

,"500[more,set_1]","prepare_to enter roundabout in %dist",
,"200[more,set_2]","prepare_to enter roundabout in %dist",

Have I made any incorrect assumptions along the way ?

Regards

Roger

Right you are.
About capitalization, since windows makes no difference between TURN.wav and turn.wav, you can write the filenames in capital. To make it easier understandable which word translates into wav file and which are not, we were using capital filenames, although it's not mandatory.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fable

fable wrote:

Right you are.
About capitalization, since windows makes no difference between TURN.wav and turn.wav, you can write the filenames in capital. To make it easier understandable which word translates into wav file and which are not, we were using capital filenames, although it's not mandatory.

Thanks for the confirmation, that helps a great deal.

Now I'm confused over another point. What is the meaning of !X in the following lines.

(NB '~' should be a greater than sign)

,"100[!X,near,minsilence=3]","in %dist turn %* %then1",
,"100[X=1,near,minsilence=3]","take next %* in %dist %then1",
,"100[X~1,near,minsilence=3]","take %X %* in %dist %then1",

Presumably X is the number of the turn (from the current position) being announced. So that X=1 is the next turn, X~1 is either the 2nd or 3rd etc. dependent on the value of X.

But what does !X signify ? Does it mean NOT X which would give it a value of 0 (zero) ?

But if that's the case and the value is 0, why announce a turn which doesn't exist ?

I notice that the english voice turn template only appears to call %then1 yet there are lines to allow calls using %then and %then3. Are these for other languages to cater for different syntax and presumably redundant in the english voice file.

Regards

Roger
fable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drogg wrote:

I do have a few questions I hope you can answer...
Can lines be remmed out in 'commands.csv'?
- Anything I try seems to render the whole commands set silent.
- A comment could be put in like this: ,,,"this is a comment"
- It seems you can have blank lines in the file if you want to make it more readable.
What compression format do you use to compress the graphics?

I'll try to figure the rest out.
If you require any testing over here in the UK, I'll do what I can to assist.

Regards
Drogg

You can "rem" out lines with adding a lot of "," to the beginning of the line.
The file compression format is our own format, iGO can use it but we don't have a standalone converter for uncompressing. We'll have to decide what to do with it, publish the original BMPs and the converter, or what. We're very busy since Cebit Sad
fable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:

Presumably X is the number of the turn (from the current position) being announced. So that X=1 is the next turn, X~1 is either the 2nd or 3rd etc. dependent on the value of X.

But what does !X signify ? Does it mean NOT X which would give it a value of 0 (zero) ?

But if that's the case and the value is 0, why announce a turn which doesn't exist ?

I notice that the english voice turn template only appears to call %then1 yet there are lines to allow calls using %then and %then3. Are these for other languages to cater for different syntax and presumably redundant in the english voice file.

Regards

Roger

X=1 ... next turn
X=2 ... second turn
!X ... you can't really say which one is it for any reason. Dual carriageways, paralell roads, going too fast all causes this to happen. You can't say "take second le... make it next left"

%then ... uses the [then] part of the next instruction
%then3 ... uses the [then3] part of the next instruction, or it it doesn't exists, then the normal [then] part

This is the syntax. The meaning could vary from csv to csv but it doesn't.
then1 is for turn after turn, so instead "turn left then turn right" it says "turn left then right".
then2 in some language is for next turn after next turn: "take next left then next right" is too long in some language, the second "next" is supressed in [then2]
then3 is for instructions after highway exits, 300[then3] means "say this after a highway exit if the instruction is inside 300 meters" - instead of the normal 100 meters which normal "then" uses.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fable

Thanks a lot for that information.

I finally used the 'and take %exit exit' announcements at 800 and 300 metres for roundabouts but found that the 'turn left now' at 10 or 15 metres was just overkill.

I tried a new 'bear' template which worked fine but very difficult to get the syntax correct. I can see why you opted for 'slightly left' which allows you to say 'take next slightly left' and 'take 2nd slightly left'. You can't say 'take next bear left' and 'bear 2nd left' doesn't sound quite right.

Regards

Roger
anarchyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people are editing their csv files for the point of making things easier for turns, roundabouts and so on, for those who arent technically minded it might be an idea for someone like drog to offer to email the csv file to people as some arent gonna know what to do with these kind of things, i should imagine a csv wouldnt be massive in size, would it? Confused
maljay48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Igo 2006 on a Loox N560 and am having trouble with editing the csv files. I tried the edit for roundabouts so that I got turn identification at 800 and 300 yds as below:-

800[equal,minsilence=10,if_not_1] prepare_to enter roundabout in %dist take %exit exit
300[equal,minsilence=10,if_not_2]prepare_to enter roundabout in %dist take %exit exit
100[near,exit,minsilence=3] in %dist enter roundabout take %exit exit

I then zipped the files back up and copied them back to the SD card, but when I fired up Igo, Philipa's voice had disappeared (sob!)
I think I probably screwed up the zip process, but I'm not sure that I really understand drogg's instructions about zipping:-

"Save this updated .csv file in config folder.
Re zip up the audio and config folders together with the flag bmp and info.txt.
Be sure these are NOT in a 'v_eng_uk_f1' root folder in the new zip file.
copy this new zip file to \iGO\voice on your card overwriting the older one. "

Could somebody clarify this for me please, I am using winzip 8.1 for zipping operations.

Cheers

Mal J.

linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maljay48 wrote:

800[equal,minsilence=10,if_not_1] prepare_to enter roundabout in %dist take %exit exit
300[equal,minsilence=10,if_not_2]prepare_to enter roundabout in %dist take %exit exit
100[near,exit,minsilence=3] in %dist enter roundabout take %exit exit

If this is an exact copy of the new csv file then you have not included the final separator (comma) at the end of each line.

Regards

Roger
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you could edit posts. Also where is beginning of line separator ?

Roger
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drogg wrote:
...Also working to create own voice files (ogg/wav) to include words/phrases not already in the folder, either to match or replace current voice sound.

Reports are that it all seems OK so far. Relying on a mate for testing.

Regards
Drogg

Hi Drogg,

Have you had any luck with creating .OGG audio files? A couple of people in the Mio forum have said that they haven't been able to create compatible .ogg files as yet... if you've found an editor that gets the format right, I'd love to give it a go :D

Thanks

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: