Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN OK until 'add-ons' installed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN OK until 'add-ons' installed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: TTN OK until 'add-ons' installed Reply with quote

I am having problems with my Dell Axim X5(300Mhz,32MB SDRAM and 32MB ROM with Great
Britain map etc on SDcard.PPC 2003)
TTN works OK when no other programs are active,but whenever I install one of the "add ons" I have
trouble.
When I tried GPSassist I got all the problems others have already noted (The 'polApp' error message
etc)and so decided to wait for the PPC2003 version should it ever appear..But even after I had removed
GPSassist, TTN remained very unstable,frequently hanging and /or often showing the timer-icon
spinning slowly and never getting anywhere - sometimes a soft reset would clear it,but eventually ,the
whole thing became so unreliable that I did a hard reset and re-installed TTN. I also changed the 128mb
SD card with the Great Britain map data
All went well with only TTN running until I tried installing CheckPoint which elsewhere in the forum
others have claimed worked without problems. That seemed to be the case until I tried it linked to the
GPS receiver when ,once again, I got the perpetually spinning icon when I tapped either Checkpoint or
TTN itself. Then the PDA refused to respond to any tapping - so I had to do another soft reset. The PDA
then refused to switch on at all - until later when it had been disconnected from the GPS.
I am wondering if others with this PDA have had such difficulties .- Perhaps my particular unit may be
faulty ?? It would appear to be a memory or a processing problem -I cannot see how there could be any
conflicts when so few programs are active. In other threads I note that differences in format between the
main unit and the SD could be another possiblity.
Any ideas would be welcome
JohnJ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had problems unisntalling both CheckPOInt and POI-Warner in the past. When installing they basically overwrite a file or two that TomTom seems to need (and may have installed on install), so when you uninstall these, it can totally screw TomTom Navigator 2 up. Your best bet would be to uninstall CheckPOInt, then soft reset, then reinstall TTN2 at this stage and another soft reset.

This should get you a working copy of TTN2, then install CheckPOInt over the top. But beware, with only 32mb ram isn't a lot and you may find it running slow.
Chrisa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: ttn hanging on dell axim Reply with quote

i had a problem with ttn hanging for about 10 seconds before starting on my axim 400 the problem was that this would happen if calender was open as a running program .once calender was stopped with switcher bar it starts imediatley
JohnJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,I suspected that 32mbRAM might be inadequate- but I'll try another re-install etc as Dave suggests
Thanks
JohnJ
psionman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had TT2 & Holux as a Christmas/birthday present & I'm thrilled. But playing with my new toy I was tempted (& succumbed) to loading GPSassist onto my wm2003 Axim. Quelle horreur! DO NOT DOT IT! Evil or Very Mad

I do not think that Dave's warning on his review is anything like strong enough. I know he's defended what he said and I know he must be fair. But words like ... ' I strongly recommend that you read this thread if you have wm2003' ... or ... ' allegedly GPSassist can seriously damage applications on your wm2003 ppc' ...

Apart from probably having to do a hard reset I'm really pleased with tt2. for me it works fast, seems to find sats easily and gives me perfect location all the time (touching wood!) it's great fun - some day all cars will have one - what will we do then?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Dave would endorse this - it's time to recommend Sprite Backup yet again. It gives you a very rapid way back from a hard reset and/or a flat Pocket PC battery. Amongst the many items of software on my iPAQ 3970, it's one of the handful I'd least like to be parted with, even though I've got a less fully featured version in ROM (as iPAQ Backup).

GPSassist, sadly, is a mess - even under Pocket PC 2002 it could interfere with various other applications and OS components. It has a great feature set, and I'd love to see it rewritten. However, I wouldn't put it near my iPAQ even when it ran Pocket PC 2002.

I hope the author will find the time to rewrite GPSassist, but I know that to recode an existing program from scratch because the code base has got excessively messy can be a major undertaking, and it's rather soul-destroying having to do a lot of work just to get back to pretty much where you were with the old, messy code. It can turn out to be as much work as writing the program again from scratch. Further, I believe the author now has a new job and much less time.

Quite apart from the invasiveness of the current code (which causes the compatibility issues), another problem with the current GPSassist was that the upgrade from Navigator 1 to Navigator 2 changed both what was possible and what was wanted from the add-on program. This scenario could easily happen again if a rewrite started now - I suspect TomTom Navigator 3 will be out in the next six months. Navigator 3 may well incorporate some, even most or all, of the current GPSassist features in the main program.

I'm not holding my breath for a rewrite of GPSassist - though I regard that as a huge shame. Meanwhile, CheckPOInt gives the POI warning, the feature most people want from GPSassist, for free - which reduces significantly the incentive to rewrite GPSassist.

David
JohnJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I ask Psionman if his Dell Axim is the 32Kb version, and if so, has he tried Checkpoint on it ? I am hoping to check my TTN2 (without any add-ons)on a journey in the near future to make sure all is well before I risk Checkpoint again (I think there is a limit on the number of times one can reinstall TTN after hard resets)
JohnJ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnJ - the limit is with the number of machines you can activate TomTom Navigator 2 on. The number of hard resets makes no difference so far as I know - if it did, it would penalise users who tended to leave their Pocket PCs, forget about them for a while, then come back to find the battery is flat.

If you're having to do a lot of hard resets, I'll recommend Sprite Backup yet again. It makes getting back from a hard reset very easy - you certainly don't have to do anything to TomTom Navigator 2 to make it work OK after you restore. (I have verified this in the last few hours - carrying out various tests on CheckPOInt 3.2, I've hard reset my iPAQ 3970 a total of three times in the past six hours).

The issue with GPSassist is to do with the program, not with the hardware it's run on. It just doesn't seem to like Pocket PC 2003 at all; it had problems with Pocket PC 2002.

If you're having problems, post any markings on the back of the SD card you're using - they can tell a story.

David
psionman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your comments.

I'm now downloading a trial of Spritebackup to see how I get on with it.

I agree that it's really the POI I was interested in in GPSassist, but also point to point. Is there any other way of doing Point to Point?

I've loaded Checkpoint, and that seems to be OK for POI (Speed cameras)
psionman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said, JohnJ, I have the ^$Mb Axim Embarassed
psionman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Ooooops, 64Mb Embarassed
JohnJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Dave for clarification on the hard reset worries. I also will install Spritebackup as you suggest.
Thanks also to Psionman for his replies. Perhaps the extra MB help. I see you are in the Nottingham area(I am in Burton on Trent) and you mentioned Holux. I got my standard Dell Axim from Holux at Horsley Woodhouse for £399 (incl GPS receiver and holder)- are they now doing a deal with the 64MB Axim ???
JohnJ
psionman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

I already owned the Axim. The Holux & TT2 came as a present at Christmas. I wanted to go to Holux (I work in Derby) to try it out before I bought (my present!), but they said it was strictly mail order. Did you get to go there?

Anyway, I'm really pleased with it so far!
JohnJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psionman
I was "allowed" to call in after being impressed with the Holux stand's demo of the TTN2 at the Radio & Computer exhibition at Donnington Park in September.They suggested that I call in to have one fitted to my vehicle. However, since then, when I have contacted their tech.support with the various problems I've encountered, they were clearly not keen to have me call in again - so presumably they have tightened up on their
willingness to see customers in person. But ,like you,I'm impressed when it is working properly (without the add-on gremlins !)
JohnJ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: