Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Know whether or not a camera is on?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Know whether or not a camera is on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echilon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Know whether or not a camera is on? Reply with quote

Is it possible to know whether or not a camera is turned on when you drive past it? My friend has a Snooper, and he seems to think that it only beeps when he passes a 'live' camera. I don't see how this would work, is he talking rubbish?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Know whether or not a camera is on? Reply with quote

Echilon wrote:
...is he talking rubbish?

The only way he could know, is if the camera's detection unit was not operating ie a 'dummy' (if there is such a thing) or broken, or simply turned off. I think that cameras continue to 'flash' even when the film is full, or not present. However, I an not sure about the legality of such equipment.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Snooper, with the RLD add-on (S6R-Neo). If you passs a camera then it will beep whether or not the camera is active. If the RD input also gives a visual warning, the camera is active. If it doesn't, it either isn't active or the Snooper has failed to detect it. Personally, I'm not willing to take the chance.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Echilon,

Echilon wrote:
Is it possible to know whether or not a camera is turned on when you drive past it?

It depends on the type of camera. Fixed Gatso cameras that use radar should be detectable by a decent radar detector when the Gatso is active. However please bear in mind that there are now other types of fixed cameras such as Truvelo and the newer Monitron which use wires in the road and not radar, therefore a radar detector is useless in detecting these. Don’t forget the SPECS, which also doesn’t use radar.

Echilon wrote:
Is My friend has a Snooper, and he seems to think that it only beeps when he passes a 'live' camera. I don't see how this would work, is he talking rubbish?

Your friend needs to understand that it’s now impossible to rely on a radar detector know whether all cameras are either active or inactive.

I still have a Bel Euro 550 which I occasionally use, but its effectiveness is now highly reduced due to the number of static camera types that no longer use radar and also the mobile sites that now use laser.

For a more reliable form of detection/warning, your friend needs a GPS camera database, such as the PocketGPSWorld one! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echilon wrote:
Is My friend has a Snooper, and he seems to think that it only beeps when he passes a 'live' camera. I don't see how this would work, is he talking rubbish?

The radar detector will tell you if there is a radar unit installed in the Gatso type box because it picks up the radar emissions from the Gatso. Some of them don't have any radar unit in them at all, they are just an empty box. Others have a radar but no camera. There is a camera around my way which is just an empty box, no camera and no radar unit either.

In theory you can speed past a Gatso with impunity if your radar detector doesn't warn you, it depends how well you trust your detector.

Radar detectors are also useful for picking up mobile Gatsos, though I don't think they are much use against laser traps.

As Privateer points out many other types of camera don't use Radar (ie Redspeed, truvelo) but they look quite different to the traditional Gatso boxes. I have a Bel 990i which I use when I'm abroad but not in the UK - the speed camera database is much better.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: