Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - big twins and hard drives
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

big twins and hard drives
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeOnABike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
svdave wrote:
the mio 269+ has a motorcycle setting in the menu so therefore i would assume it is built to go on bikes Confused thats why im a bit confused

If it was intended for motorbikes it'd be waterproof!

Medion PNA's ship with a handelbar mount and a showerproof. Intention is one thing, going scuba diving with it is another. Wink

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about. Slight hint of rain and at worst I have my jacket pocket. A cheap tank bag from Aldi's has a handy GPS sized pocked in the map section too - so much for pesky handlebar mounts. And my Fazer jumps all over London's moon crater roads, thank heavens indeed for flash memory.
svdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was more concerned with the constant engine vibration than road vibration as for waterproofing id just stick it in a plastic bag
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
svdave wrote:
the mio 269+ has a motorcycle setting in the menu so therefore i would assume it is built to go on bikes Confused thats why im a bit confused

If it was intended for motorbikes it'd be waterproof!

My mate has done a couple of thousand miles with his Mio on a R1150RT - no problems - if it rains he stops for coffee or pulls freezer bag over it
kasandrich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsn3wbie wrote:
Darren wrote:
gpsn3wbie wrote:
wouldnt it be the same case in a car? or a truck/bus/caravan etc? the vibrations are still being absorbed by the suspension in my opinion so it would be no more a bad idea to use it on a bike than in a car.

just my opinion of course Smile

No offence but if you had ever ridden a bike you'd know that vibration is a whole different kettle of fish. I ride what is described as 'a silky smooth V4' and that can have your fillings rattling at some speeds and on some surfaces. Big twins have harmonic vibrations that can make your internal organs move about!

Laughing Out Loud...then you'll be surprised to know i'm also a biker and i ride what is described as "hulking beast of a an inline4" 8) however im also quite technical as well and in my opinion the HDDs used in todays devices would cope with the suspension set ups of todays bikes....maybe not something like a hard tail chopper of course but i'd be happy to use my TTGO700 on my bike if the need arose. Thumbs Up

EEERR, I wouldn't recommend it, my 2 month old TT700, lasted 50 miles on my Fazer 1000 with a Ram handlebar mount, before it gave up! Crying or Very sad

HD seems to have Failed Under Continuous Testing, its gone off to TomTom for repair.

I'm here looking for an alternative solid state unit to use on the bike without breaking the bank, as I obviously have already invested in quite an expensive unit, so I just want something for occassional get you home (or to your destination) on the bike.
CharlieM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems the Garmin units are getting all the praise on the bikes at the moment.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlieM wrote:
seems the Garmin units are getting all the praise on the bikes at the moment.

Although Garmin don't recommend that you use the units with hard disks on bikes!

There is a new TomTom Rider coming out soon and the price has dropped substantially.
svdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive went for the mio 268+ as theres no hd and i like the features as well as the cracking price i got a brand new one for :D just need to find a suitable earpiece. thanks for all the input everyone, it was very helpful
davet120r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon,
I've recently purchased a Mio269+ and have fitted the bycycle bracket to the handlebar of my 1970 Triumph intending to use it on a trip to Belgium next weekend. Now I'm worried about this vibration problem, so perhaps I will put it in the top of my tankbag. I would like to know if there is a problem with powering the Mio from the bike's battery. This bike is positive earth, whereas my modern Triumph is negative earth. Any advice would be appreciated.
Dave
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, it will all depend upon how your charger socket to the PDA is wired, assuming it is wired correctly i.e. the centre contact pip is Pos, and the outer barrel is Neg then you will be fine, the voltage regulator in the plug to the PDA contains the rest to drop the voltage to the required level.

If in any doubt plug the PDA charger lead into the socket without the PDA connected, if the LED (assuming there is one on the charger lead plug) lights up then you are OK, if not get it checked over by an auto electrician before connecting the expensive bit - Mike
svdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after some time with the mio 268+ i would recomend it, it does everything i wanted and more my only critasism would be that my maps apear to be out of date but as i said in a earlyer post i got it very cheap so i can forgive it. for power from the bike i got a car lighter extention from maplin about £2 cut the mail end off fited an inline fuse and put it on the bike battiery with the femail end under the tank for the mio power leed to connect to. The sound was to low so i got some noise reduction earpieces from maplin about £5, these are the only earpieses i could fit in my ears with a helmat on. To fit to the bike i pulled the suction cup off the supplyed holder and it pushs into the hole in the headstock.
hope this is of some help to my fellow bikers
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Streetpilot i3 Vibration Reply with quote

I've been using my Streetpilot i3 on my bike connected to an Autocom unit from an audio jack socket wired to the i3's speaker terminals. One thing that I've noticed is a rattling noise (low level) coming through the earphones, especially on rough road surfaces. This disappears momentarily, as soon as a voice command is heard from the Garmin. I've come to the conclusion that this is a result of the speaker cone vibrating due to front suspension movement, which in turn generates the noise as an electrical signal. The Garmin is rigidly mounted on the front yoke so is subject to quite a lot of vibration.

Has anyone else noticed this on the Streetpilot i3? I have wondered whether it would be possible to surpress this low level signal by adding an electronic component across the speaker terminals. Any suggestions? My electronics knowledge is very basic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: