Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrade to Destinator 6 or TOM TOM 5 for PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade to Destinator 6 or TOM TOM 5 for PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyHSoton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Upgrade to Destinator 6 or TOM TOM 5 for PDA Reply with quote

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me out with my questions.

I am very new to Sat Nav and have an Acer N35 PDA with Destinator Lite software. So far I have managed to find out that in order to download either POI or Speed camera databases I will have to upgrade as Destinator Lite is not designed for this and has no POI, favourites or much else other than the basics.

From what I have managed to find out, I should be thinking of upgrading to either TOM TOM Navigator 5 for PDA’s or Destinator 6 for PDA’s. I have read that some people believe the Destinator software uses a better Satellite tracking system.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has installed either of these software options to an Acer PDA or any other PDA and would appreciate comments on the following:

1. What do you really like and dislike about the software?
2. Is it reliable?
3. Have you managed to download POI and speed camera databases and do they work?
4. Are the POI and speed camera databases free or do you have to subscribe and if so how much and is it annual fee or for life fee with free updates?

I am very confused about all this and have read that it is harder to get POI and speed camera databases to work with Destinator but I am not sure why and what the issues are at the moment. I would appreciate any views about these two software options as I have to decide which to buy for my PDA.

Many thanks for your help.

TonyHSoton
Mystery
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony.
I have Acer N35 and 'had' Destinator 3 on it.
Unless Destinator has changed the number of POIs that may be installed, Destinator 3 only allowed 2 sets. This made it difficult to use Speed camera database as you could only have it with 2 warning sets.
I have installed TTN 5.21 and all works well. Also you are able to use many more 'home made' POIs in Tomtom than Destinator. I also found that Destinator was not so easy to program and get destinations input.

As far as Speed cam databases are concerned the one found here is by far the best. Paying the £2 per month or £19 per year is a comparitivley cheap option for an up to date database. Yes it does take time in some instances for the database to catch up, but it is still the most up to date one available.

The choice has to be yours. But having used Destinator (albeit version 3) I would plump for Tomtom any time. You will also need an additional sd card for the mapping. I woudl suggets that you get a 1Gb card as these are available very cheaply from places like 7dayshop.com etc.

The Acer is a very good all round PDA with gps built in. The sttings can get a bit confusing, however I have posted elsewhere the settings needed for Acer N35. Just in case here they are again Laughing Out Loud
Other NMEA
Baud Rate 57600
GPS on NAVAGATOR

Good luck

CharlieG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: TT5 v Destinator 6 Reply with quote

I have TT5 and Destinator 6 on an iPaq 2210 using TT BT GPS. I find TT5 much more user friendly but Destinator mapping is more up-to-date. Both work very well however. I have all of both systems on a 4Gb CF card with complete sets of UK and European maps for both systems.
Dest 6, Maps of Europe, Memory Map Navigator (Europe Edition)
GlobalSat SDI0 SD-501 GPS, BT GPS
TT BT GPS, Inforad
TonyHSoton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Thanks Mystery and Charlie G Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies and help.

I guess in a lot of ways its all a case of personal preference.

As you have Destinator 6 Charlie G, can you confirm how many POI this latest version accepts, given Mysterys comments about Destinator 3.

Also, I noticed hundreds of downloadable POI on this site covering all sorts of things. Are these free downloads and are they written up by other users? Just trying to get my head around all this. It would be nice to beable to download these to my PC (or at least the ones you think you might use) and then keep these in a central source. I guess you can then sync them backwards and forwards so you only have on the PDA what you think you might need at any given time?

I have a 1gb SD card already, so I guess this will help with all the data that needs to be stored.

I really like the Acer N35 and have an Acer laptop which I also think was a great buy. I do think I may have been a bit stitched on the software, but it was only £152 from Makro, so it will depend on how much I have to spend on D6 or Tom Tom Nav 5. Any ideas about where best to get these in terms of price?

Many thanks again.

TonyHSoton
CharlieG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Destinator 6 POI Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't know how many it will take, you need to load them as favourites. I have both the consolidated by type and the speed loaded plus a few others of my own with no problems.
Dest 6, Maps of Europe, Memory Map Navigator (Europe Edition)
GlobalSat SDI0 SD-501 GPS, BT GPS
TT BT GPS, Inforad
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to add to the confusion, but before making a decision checkout Route 66's Navigate 7 - it is VERY good!!
TonyHSoton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Thanks CharlieG Reply with quote

Thanks for the info CharlieG.

I have since found out that the Acer N35 stuggles with D6 but is ok with TT5, so it now looks like TT5 although I will have a look at the Route 66 that Private has mentioned. Could you let us know a bit more about it Private and why you think it is so good. Also, would appreciate comparisons against anything else you might have used if for example you have used something like Tom Tom.

Many thanks,

TonyHSoton
jowett69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I use Route66 and tomtom5, Route66 as up to date maps, its routing is a bit stupid(take the junction of the motorway and then get back on it?). post codes are not like tomtom and the graphics dont come near tomtom. But and this is a big but, you do get free traffic via phone!
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jowett69,

Is it Navigate 7? There was a huge improvement from the last version to this one!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: