Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - walked into the
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

walked into the

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: walked into the Reply with quote

walked into the orange shop on saturday did an upgrade to panasonic x70 nice phone me thinks wprong it wont connect to my ipaq2210 apparently theres a sync problem they will how ever pair but you cannot sent contacts of download or browse the net im told panasonic are aware of the problem are laising with mircosoft to sort the out so in a couple of years theyll have sorted it out just when the phones get supperceeded
or am i being pessemistic Crying or Very sad Confused Question

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great subject title! My first thought was door, pub, closet Laughing

I don't think most phones will sync contacts from Outlook to the phone ? It's not something I've tried tbh, I still can't get my T610 to BT to my laptop, mainly because I seem to have a crappy 3Com BT dongle. Must get a new one! The last app I tried on the Pocket PC was Sunnysoft's GSM Manager, but haven't used this in eons, maybe I should try this again ?

You should defiantely be able to browse the net via the Pocket PC through the phone, I do this a lot on GPRS, but GPRS on Orange leaves a lot to be desired! Evil or Very Mad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: sorrry dave Reply with quote

sory dave it will pair but orange have said its known problem you cant even useit as a modem to browse the ne t yet i going to ring pannasonic and see if i can get any sense out of them hope fully i will

device Lumia 950 xl
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

I don't think most phones will sync contacts from Outlook to the phone ? It's not something I've tried tbh, I still can't get my T610 to BT to my laptop, mainly because I seem to have a crappy 3Com BT dongle. Must get a new one! The last app I tried on the Pocket PC was Sunnysoft's GSM Manager, but haven't used this in eons, maybe I should try this again ?
Evil or Very Mad

Dave, How many times have I told you....

Get the MSI BT dongle from HandNav. It may be cheap, but it certainly has the best BT stack support I have seen. Supporting loads of profiles. I have an expensive Belkin and an even more expensive TDK, and the MSI is far better than either.

As far as synching goes, most modern phones with BT will synch with Outlook. Infact my SE T610, and Nokia 6310 do with no problem. Cant wait to get my hands on the new 6600 though Soon
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know Laughing I'm currently waiting for a move date because I might go wifi seeing as I've got a wifi router, still undecided Rolling Eyes
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for MikeB:

Mike, are you sync`ing your T610 with Outlook using the SE download of XTND Connect software?
by saying "most bluetooth phones will sync with Outlook" - i take it you mean that they will, using appropriate software to sync them, such as XTND Connect.....

It would be very, very handy if you could just "sync" with a PDA running Pocket PC OS, rather than having to use the [desktop] PC to sync the phone.

unless you know another way Wink
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used to be able to do this with SunnySoft GSM on the older Nokia's, and used to be good but I don't think it supports Ericsson phones.
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see.
Well, i do use mPhone by Mobem Software to keep a "snapshot" of my mobile phones' phonebook - T610, T68m & 6310i. However, this is more a get-around for a number of things - the difference in the way contacts are stored in the phone memory (1 contact with many numbers, email etc) and on the simcard (individual entries for each, regardless of if it's the same contact), and the differences between Ericsson filing and Nokia filing.

And whilst most modern phones have PIM facilities - such as calendar, tasks etc which can be sync'd with Outlook, more often than not it is necessary to sync only with the desktop PC running ADDITIONAL interface software - acting as a bridge between the phone and Outlook.

As a workaround, i sync my PocketPC with the desktop PC first (over bluetooth 8) ), then i use XTND Connect within Outlook, to sync calendar entries (filtered) with my T610.
longwinded, but until Pocket Outlook on the PPC includes such sync'ing facilities, that's what i have to do.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok spoke to orange data support yesterday very helpful people end up at level 3 speaking to an engineer he rang me back today and told me that ipaqs will work thourgh infrared but not bluetooth he has spoken to compaq or hp as it is now they are may and its a BIG MAY release another bt driver update to allow the ipaq to used bt with this phone

device Lumia 950 xl
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidb67 wrote:

Mike, are you sync`ing your T610 with Outlook using the SE download of XTND Connect software?

Thats right.

Davidb67 wrote:

by saying "most bluetooth phones will sync with Outlook" - i take it you mean that they will, using appropriate software to sync them, such as XTND Connect.....

Most BT phones have some form of software allowing tham to connect and exchange data with the PC. However there is no standard (that I know of) to exchanhe Contact data with Outlook or other data managers.

Davidb67 wrote:

It would be very, very handy if you could just "sync" with a PDA running Pocket PC OS, rather than having to use the [desktop] PC to sync the phone.

unless you know another way Wink

Sometimes that could be handy, but I like to have 1 system that is the "GOLD" copy of my contact data. I can then use that to send to my Tungsten T2, 2210, 5450, SE T610, and 6310i. And also to sync the contact data on my other PCs.

What would be ideal if there was one standard way of managing the whole lot.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix,

It sounds like Orange are fobbing you off. The Bluetooth Dial-Up Profile is pretty standardised and isn't one that I'm aware of having problems with that many devices. My gut feeling is that the problem is far more likely to be with the phone than the iPAQ's Bluetooth stack, personally. I haven't heard of many phones that the iPAQ's Bluetooth stack fails to work with for dial-up.

This post on the Pocket PC Magazine site seems to imply it's Panasonic's fault.

However, the official Bluetooth certification web site, which you can access here, implies that the X70 has passed qualification - as have most of the iPAQs at some point in their life.

I'd try to return the phone on the basis that it is not fit for purpose.

My favourite programme for handling SMSes and phone books on mobile phones on the Pocket PC is smart GSM. I used to use mPhone, but found it malfunctioned pretty horribly with my Pocket PC 2003 iPAQ 3970 and a Nokia 6310i (5.50 firmware). It'd crash when connecting over Bluetooth.

What I couldn't make work well in smart GSM was the Outlook synchronisation in smart GSM - when I tried it, I landed up with duplicate contacts in Outlook that contained the details from the phone. It may well worth better if you start out with a blank phone...

I'm going to pass on the Nokia 6600 for now - it seems unnecessarily complex. Quite apart from running Symbian - which means it has lots of features I just don't need - there's no fully wired car kit. I think I'll just wait to see what happens over the next 6-12 months with 3G.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: