Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob404932
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Ok so I pay but what do I actually get? Reply with quote

Hi
Just checked back to get an update for a trip I'm about to take and was surprised that theres now a charge. Thats fine nothin for free in this world etc. But after reading as much of this 41 page thread as I could I still dont get what I'm paying for?
What garuntees are PGPS making as a company are you considering this as a business?
If I subscribe for a year will you still be going in a year? situations change.
What if Tomtom start adding updates that stop database like this being easily loaded and running on them, as your now a direct profitable rival this is a possibility.
What is the companies aims, technology developments etc.
Are submitted locations actually being checked by members of staff are there members of staff? Or just people helping out locally.
Is there a real point of contact offices etc?

Like I say I dont mind paying but want some real form of contact & accountability if i'm to part with my hard earned.

Thanks
Rob Smile
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this day and age, I don't think that anyone could give you the assurances you wish, and if they did - would they mean anything?

If you are unhappy about the risk of yearly fee (and I am not knocking you for that) why not stick with a monthly one and only risk £2?
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, how many pints of beer can you buy for £19? "7 or 8" maybe.

Whilst I don't take the camera sites as being the only ones installed.
(one speeding ticket = 3 points and a £?? fine).

rob404932
Seriously, I don't mean to make light of what you say but I think it's worth every penny.
jumblemo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just logged in like many others have done to pick up the latest version, and joined the crowd of folks smarting at yet another unexpected demand to relieve one of one's 'hard earned'. Crying or Very sad

However, had I been in your shoes I would have done exactly the same. You have an excellent website which you moderate well, and the database has much value to those who rely on it.

Good luck with your business, and I hope my subs are spent wisely...both pounds Wink

See you back here soon

J
mh297
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charging for data people have submitted? Not in the spirit of how it used to be! Money money money. Has anyone started an alternative yet?
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mh297 wrote:
Charging for data people have submitted?

You forgot to mention the "Time Checking and "following-up to make sure the info is accurate"
Not to mention the long hard work involved in also "Prying" goodies from manufactures as rewards and incentives.
And yes there are alternatives, but after reading posts with regards to the alternative cheaper site, (which also happens to be based I think in Germany).
I personally will stick with this one.

mh297 wrote:
Has anyone started an alternative yet?

Are you volunteering?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mh297 wrote:
Charging for data people have submitted? Not in the spirit of how it used to be! Money money money.
All those who contributed before the site became subscription based was given a lifetime subscription - I can't see that anyone has grounds for complaint. If you submitted but have not yet taken up the offer of the lifetime subscription, then I suggest you do so now - or stop complaining!
mh297 wrote:
Has anyone started an alternative yet?
I believe that someone said that they were going to, but I don't believe anything came of it. Given that they would have to start from scratch and collect the 9000 cameras already in OUR database, I think it was probably just hot air Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised to see this thread is still going - I last looked at it ages ago. Exactly the same things are being said over and over again. At the end of the day like it or not the subs are now a fact of life.

Those that do not like them can do one of 4 things - put up with them, do without the database, find another database that they think offers better value, or go and start their own database and make their fortune Smile .

Everybody has had their say (even me now). Given the time this thread has been going those that are now commenting for the first time can hardly be said to be active members that regularly contribute to this forum can they?

Isn't it about time the thread was locked?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
I wondered as well, but if it gets locked you'll just get a new thread once every few months when one of our "active members that regularly contribute" stops by. Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
if it gets locked you'll just get a new thread once every few months

With keeping the thread open, at least it keeps "most" of the moans and groans with regards fees, in one thread.
And like you say, someone will only start another one.

Always baring in mind we have the option to un-tick the box below:
"Notify me when a reply is posted"
Maverick_mustang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Fee's Reply with quote

Hi, Im new here as you can tell, and I have to say that despite what other 'newbies' say, I think the fee of a meager £2 is absolutely fabulous!

You guys have compiled an awesome db of camera loc's and on top of that offer support and advice! I mean geez! thats great.

My only quarm now is that I need some help (sorry) and will post that elsewhere. Well done guys, keep up the good work.

Mav
Jo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think its such a shame how people abuse this for all the wrong reasons it's there to make people aware when coming into a speed zone but instead people use it to slow down when they come to a speed camera and when its gone speed up again and break the speed limit

i am not going to get into this all again but like i said before anyone who speeds should have a life time ban it’s completely unacceptable and they should never be aloud on the road again remember its not your road and you cannot do what you like on it

please respect the other drivers

Please remember 70mph is the max speed limit any faster then that and you are committing an offence and its illegal

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree in principle Jo, but who's to say that 70 is safe and 71 isn't?
That is only the law in the UK, other countries have totally different limits, either higher or lower. Are they all "wrong"?

SENSIBLE speed, appropriate for the road conditions, I'm all for (I think that if they are truly meant to be "Safety" cameras they should be clever enough to work at a lower speed when it's raining, for example), but many limits are quite simply set FAR too low (recent 40mph limit on totally empty stretch of non-roadworks on a totally empty M1 at 3am comes to mind) and only provoke theories about "revenue cameras" Evil or Very Mad
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo wrote:
I am not going to get into this all again but like i said before anyone who speeds should have a life time ban it’s completely unacceptable and they should never be aloud on the road again remember its not your road and you cannot do what you like on it

Of course you will remember your statement the next time you speed and give yourself a lifetime ban, won't you?
Even if it's only 31mph in a 30mph zone.

There is speeding, and there is speeding dangerously, ok it's still speeding but people with your attitude it's no wonder our highways still have such draconian rules and regulations.

But then I suppose you are one of these "Sunday drivers" that insists on rubbernecking everything you pass holding-up traffic behind you causing mile long tail-backs, which also on occasions also holds-up emergency vehicles.
Jo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002

I hear what you are saying but 70mph is 70mph if you get seen doing 71mph then its a ban the line has to be drawn some where and the law has stated that it is 70mph if you are concerned you might break it when you are close to 70mph then simpley do 60mph then you have 10mph to stay within

oldfogy

Yes i will remember my statement because i never break the speed limit if you are coming into a 30mph it doesn’t mean you have to do 30mph i do 23mph and that gives me a good gap

i do not like your attitude it sounds like you are trying to imply i go 40mph down the motorway when i could be doing 70mph or a lot more no i do not do Sunday driving as you refer to it but i stay within the speed limit

Can you say the same thing i highly doubt it with an attitude like yours

i am prepared to never drive again if you catch me doing over 70mph once again the maximum speed limit is 70mph that’s not saying you have to do that you can easily do 60mph and that gives you 10mph to stay within

i love seeing people in the 3rd lane i think what a bunch of losers just heading for one place if they carry on

i think all cars should be restricted to 70mph and that would stop people breaking the speed limit and stop their games

i am not interested if you think people should be aloud to go faster or not as it stands the law says 70mph and that’s what you must be doing otherwise you are committing an offence

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 42 of 44

Jump to: