Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapsworth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: i3 maps Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been asked already. The i3 comes with maps already loaded for the UK and Eire. If I need maps for Europe what would I have to buy?
At £99 it seems a good time to get one for the motorbike.
Thanks in advance
Simon
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loads of info on this subject, do a search..but briefly you will need city select/navigator and a blank card or pre-programmed france spain etc cards..
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: i3 maps Reply with quote

chapsworth wrote:
At £99 it seems a good time to get one for the motorbike.

Whilst the i3 is good for the money (especially if you can get it for £99) and fine for point to point navigation it's a little compromised for motorcycle use. If you ride recreationally and like to plan your route ahead of time then with the i3 only having destination and one via point it's a little fiddly to get it to go where you want. Additionally not being waterproof means having to stop and using a plastic bag and elastic band to prevent it getting a soaking. Mounting on the bike is possible with the talents of Mr Gonzales.

If you need a GPS for European riding I would have thought something like the Quest II would have been a better option, it's waterproof, has full European mapping and has the ability for multiple via points and route plotting on your PC for those convoluted routes.

All that said I use an i3 on my VFR but aspire to get a Quest or better when funds allow, just commenting on the shortcomings learnt from experience.

chapsworth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chas,
Thanks for the comments. Iappreciate that the i3 will have some limitations but it comes down to cost at the moment. I started with the Garmin etrex vista on the bike - great, I knew where I was but no routing. I currently use an ipaq 2210, BT receiver and TomTom in the car but it's a bit messy on the bike having to connect up everything.

I'm not using the bike that much at the moment, especially not foreign touring. So the i3 fits the bill, cheap with UK maps.
Cheers and safe riding
Simon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: