Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satnav on Dell Inspiron laptop
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satnav on Dell Inspiron laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Satnav on Dell Inspiron laptop Reply with quote

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of satnav/gps but i would like to turn my laptop into an in-car satnav device. I have Microsoft autoroute 2003 installed can you tell me what satellite reciever is required, i have been looking at Rikaline products and the USB 6010 seems to be the kind of thing i need. Is it really that simple to "plug and play"?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, mostly it is that simple. All you need is a program that understands your USB GPS receiver is not on COM1 (that's the standard serial interface).

If you want to do some serious navigation with your Notebook (not just map-following as with Autoroute) then you may want to check Deluo Routis - they have a nice navigation software that works the same on notebooks and PDAs.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
metroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for a prompt reply. Looking at M/S Autorout 2003 it has options of ports 1 and 3.
You say "Map following" with Autoroute? i take it that it has limitations compared with other software that's on the market. Can you please elaborate?
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Dell Inspiron and GPS Reply with quote

Before i got my Ipaq 3950 and CoPilot4, I use to take my Dell on the road with MapPoint 2002 Europe and a TomTom serial GPS. I then added AGPS for voice and auto re-routing..It still works great CoPilot
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metroman wrote:
Thankyou for a prompt reply. Looking at M/S Autorout 2003 it has options of ports 1 and 3.
You say "Map following" with Autoroute? i take it that it has limitations compared with other software that's on the market. Can you please elaborate?

Any kind of serious navigation includes spoken commands - ideally so good that you don't need to use the display at all. Because when you drive you should look at the road, not at the screen. Like stuart has mentioned there are add-ons for Autoroute that can transform it from a (dangerous) map viewer to a (less dangerous) navigation program.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: