Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Re-Radiating Antennas
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Re-Radiating Antennas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tredders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Re-Radiating Antennas Reply with quote

Graham,

The details are as follows: -

Antenna - Re-Radiating (GPSW-RRAD-45): Re-radiating antenna with 45cm transmit distance. Includes receiving antenna with 5m cable, 12V cigarette lighter adaptor and indoor re-radiating antenna. Ideal for car/home use. Supply Voltage:12V DC unregulated via cigarette lighter adaptor (included).

Price: £44.99 / £38.29 (Excluding: VAT)

Take a look at: -

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/acatalog/GPS_Categories___GPSW_Antennas___Smart_Antennas___106.html

It's about a quarter of the way down the page.

After using this for a couple of days now, I really can't recommend it enough. I'm getting satellite locks in 15 - 25 seconds in the morning (after the iPaq has been off all night and disconnected from the Navman sleeve). Never seem to see less than 7 satellites locked at any one time. Even on routes where in the past, the Navman sleeve lost a fix, I'm driving around with a strong fix. It's made my mind up for me to buy the upgraded SmartST software now.

Any other questions, feel free to mail me.

Mark.

gracar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Re-Radiating Antennas Reply with quote

Tredders - what was the model number? Thanks for those who educated me on the wonders of double power sockets.
Tredders
Occasional Visitor

I ordered a re-radiating antenna from GPS Warehouse after reading the review on this site, and have just received it. I have to say, I am hugely impressed. My biggest criticism of the Navman 3000 was the time it was taking to get a satellite fix. This varied between 3 mins and anything up to 30 mins in my Mondeo (which supposedly doesn't have a "problem" windscreen). I've just tried the new antenna, and got an 8 satellite lock within 25 seconds! Granted, this isn't exactly a definitive test of the antenna, but it's certainly a vast improvement over the previous times.

For anyone thinking of ordering one, you don't need to buy a double socket for your cigarette lighter, as the antenna has an additional socket built-in (i.e. you plug the antenna into the cigarette lighter socket, and the iPaq power lead into the antenna socket). Pretty neat, but a bit annoying for me, as I was told by GPS Warehouse that I needed a double socket, which cost an additional £11.

rwbthatisme
Occasional Visitor

As all it needs is an unregulated 12v dc supply you could also do a little diy install and patch it diectly into your cars wiring loom by taking a feed off the 12v supply for your stereo or lighter socket.

just remember to fuse it!
Mike
Occasional Visitor

The re-radiating antenna usually fits as follows:-

1)The magnetic antenna is normally fitted outside the vehicle on the highest point (this means feeding the cable from it through a door jam etc.

2)The cable then connects to a small transmitter which is fitted inside the vehicle which re-radiates the signal to your Navmans own built-in antenna,(note the transmitter must have a clear view of your Navman etc.

3)The transmitter also has another cable coming from it which goes to your lighter/power socket.

note, you can buy multi adaptors from most camping shops if you only have one power source
poltergeist
Occasional Visitor

Graham - You can purchase 2 into 1 lighter adapters from some motorist stores.

Regards

Jerry
gracar
Regular Visitor

I have a similar question - as I understand it a re radiating antenna needs it's own power source - how many vehicles have two power sockets? Or is there another way of powering both the Navman and the antenna?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Please post any comments you have about the Re-Radiating Antennas review in this message.
Devices
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am not sure of the model of mine but is exactly the same look shape etc of the one pictured and i can higly recomend it.

The cigerette lighter plug is a pass through one so there is also a socket on the end so no need for a splitter etc.

In total i have 3 GPS mice that i use with various different equipment. Mainly laptops. I get a better signal using the rerad than i do with any of the other receivers alone. This is even when all are placed outside either on the roof or on the bonnet if i have my roof box on. I place the rerad wand under the passenger seat and feed the wire up the door seal rubber. This way i can place as many GPS receivers under the seat as i want without making any more mess. So tideness as well as better performance Smile I usually have just one receiver but on occasion i have had 2 when doing some testing.
nitromax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: vauxhall zafira Reply with quote

i have a vauxhall zafira 03 model

been have problems with getting signal, some time get about 4 birds then losses it while driving and never get it back.

i have order an re-rads 45cm. and wanted to know where is the best place to postion the unit, if i stick the unit on the roof but inside the car will i get a good signal or will it be blocked or is the best place to have it is outside of the car,.

does the unit need to be faceing up or can it attached to the inside of the back bumper as someone stated in a reply,

i hope anyone can help,

thanks in advance
AKay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i purchased a road angel for my megane and the window was uv tinted and heat reflective, the angel would not aquire a single satallite, soon as i put the angel on the roof it got them. spoke to blackspot and purchased a re radiating antenna.
it has its own power source and about 3 metres of lead to the antenna.
i hard installed it, so the block is on the roof just under the radio ariel and the other end needs to be close to the angel. i had to give it about 1 hour to "climatise" and then it worked as a dream, now it picks up the satallites almost instantly.

i had the holux pda to road angel cable which has a plug socket behind it which accepts aanother plug (item) so i did not need to purchase a 1 - 2 power convertor.

and the block is magnetic so the base sticks to the base of the roof and the top part is the reciever which aquires the satelittes.

note you can have the block on the inside of the windscreen, see the black part on the windscreen, that part is not uv and heat reflective (just behind the rear view mirror).

hope this helps Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: