Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help! travelling to France Wednesday, no maps!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! travelling to France Wednesday, no maps!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loose_Cannon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Help! travelling to France Wednesday, no maps! Reply with quote

Tosh. Bought a TT "One" a week or so ago, off to France for the first time soon, thought I had maps sorted until I realised that the SD France card that someone let me borrow is for a TT "Go". When I stick it in the machine it doesn't want to know.

Is there a way around this?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, buy your own. Rolling Eyes
Loose_Cannon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that; first post, first twit reply. Are you a saint, or just Amish?

Anyhow....as a beginner at all this, I've now been told the card won't activate until I reach France. I hope this is true.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmh Not the most helpful reply.

Even if the SD card was the correct version it would still need to be activated. Unfortunately theres no getting away without purchasing a copy, if you order a copy it unlikely to arrive in time.

Better approach and maybe cheaper is to download the maps you require from the TomTom site.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose_Cannon wrote:
Thanks for that; first post, first twit reply. Are you a saint, or just Amish?

Could you elaborate, please?

Anyway, as a beginner or an experienced user, your friend is breaking his licence agreement by lending you the SD card.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused. I always thought that the original Tom Tom SD card would work in any device. Surely, there is no difference in borrowing an original SD card, and borrowing the friends satnav. In both cases, there is only one device using it at any one time, and there is no illegal copying involved.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, as a moderator of this site it is not your responsibility to enforce or protect TomTom's licensing. The original post did not come across as if it was a diliberate attempt to copy the software, just a mistake and the reason why a more polite reply would of helped.

Anyone who is intent on coping the software will ignore whatever you post, its far better to educate new users so they do not get caught out.

Sorry if you do not like my post, but I see a lot of posts trying to lay the law down regarding pirated software, it does not help other users and also gives the site a bad image.
Loose_Cannon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Could you elaborate, please?

Yes, if I wanted puritanical preaching I'd nip down to the local Evangelical Church. Have you never borrowed anything, EVER? Always bought EVERY item you ever used, no matter for how short the duration? No tools, never borrowed a video, listened to a friend's record? Get a sense of proportion. And seeing as a huge amount of people are attracted this site for the benefit speed camera evasion I wouldn't be so pious if I were you.

I am not suggesting "pirating" anything, if it doesn't work it doesn't work, period, and for a one-off 5 day sojourn to one location in France I will NEVER spend 80 odd quid for a map even if it is a pretty blinky one. I'm just surprised that what I thought was common software between similar models appears to be so exclusive.

Good grief, it pains me to have to respond so aggressively on my maiden posting, but if you bark at me over the fence you'll get some back. And thankyou to the other posters for their response, I really did wonder where I had wandered into for a moment.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Tim, as a moderator of this site it is not your responsibility to enforce or protect TomTom's licensing. The original post did not come across as if it was a diliberate attempt to copy the software, just a mistake and the reason why a more polite reply would of helped.

Anyone who is intent on coping the software will ignore whatever you post, its far better to educate new users so they do not get caught out.

Sorry if you do not like my post, but I see a lot of posts trying to lay the law down regarding pirated software, it does not help other users and also gives the site a bad image.

No, it is not my responsibility as a Moderator; it is my responsibility as an owner of TomTom products, just as it is the responsibility of other such owners.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:

We're not laying the law down, we are explaining how our site is run and what we want to discuss and what not. We do not like it when people discuss illegal activities on our site, and we advise our moderators to intervene (which Tim has done). If you don't like his tone - tell him (which you did). If you don't like our policy then please do not visit our site.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help! travelling to France Wednesday, no maps! Reply with quote

Loose_Cannon wrote:
Tosh. Bought a TT "One" a week or so ago, off to France for the first time soon, thought I had maps sorted until I realised that the SD France card that someone let me borrow is for a TT "Go". When I stick it in the machine it doesn't want to know.

Is there a way around this?

Probably too late now but swapping units with your friend for the time in France seems like the obvious answer.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:

We're not laying the law down, we are explaining how our site is run and what we want to discuss and what not. We do not like it when people discuss illegal activities on our site, and we advise our moderators to intervene (which Tim has done). If you don't like his tone - tell him (which you did). If you don't like our policy then please do not visit our site.

I go back to my earlier post. Can you tell me what is "illegal" about borrowing an original card, when there is no copying involved. It's illegal to copy a DVD, but there's nothing wrong with lending a DVD to a friend. You wouldn't have blinked if the post had said that he was borrowing his friend's satnav, or even swapping satnavs for the period as another suggestion has been made.

As far as I can tell, the original cards will work in any device without activation. Since it will only be used on a single device at any one time, and no copying is involved, what is the problem?
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to don't see what the problem is with borrowing a friends card so long as it is a legel card.
All in all though you may be better of asking your friend if he will swap units for a coupel days.
o hang on is that illegal as the unit won't be regerest to you either.
Sorry but i did not see the first post as a attempt to find out about a illegal card and thought a reply of you will need to regester card to your unit or maby a it won't work with yours.
A stright Yes,BUY your own. from tim i think was a bit harsh as you asumed it was a copy but gave no explanation.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me explain.

When anyone installs TT or switches it on for the first time they have to hit an "I agree" or "confirm" button. That confirms their agreement to the End User Licence Agreement (EULA) between them and TT. Bet you nor your friend actually read what you were agreeing to did you? And if you did and hit "dont agree" then you can't use the product.

This EULA gives you a licence to use the software. You don't own it, just the same as you don't own the Windows software on your computer, you only have a licence to use it. That licence is non-transferable between parties, i.e. it is unique to you - you cannot pass it on to somebody else so that they can legally use the software. In addition the licence states that the software can only be installed on one sat nav system at any one time - if you transfer it you have to delete it from the other unit.

So your friend cannot pass his licence to you and when you use his software without a licence you are breaking the law.

The reasons the moderators are objecting to that is because the discussion of such illiegal activities is strictly against this forum's rules. See the first post in the first forum which says amongst other things that

"Discussion of illegal activities such as software piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed."
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
CharlieR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happens if your unit breaks of you upgrade your unit.

Do you have to bin the SD cards and buy new ones?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: