Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed cam detection on the other side of the road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed cam detection on the other side of the road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inviroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: speed cam detection on the other side of the road Reply with quote

why does the icn 520 warn me of cameras on the other side of the road when i am driving in the opp direction its a pain as it keeps beeping for the other cams on the other side is this a database error ?
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: speed cam detection on the other side of the road Reply with quote

inviroman wrote:
why does the icn 520 warn me of cameras on the other side of the road when i am driving in the opp direction its a pain as it keeps beeping for the other cams on the other side is this a database error ?

If a single road you will just have to live with it, if Dual Carriage Way or Motorway it should only warn on the side camera is positioned ( a lot depends on the accuracy of the as supplied location data and of course the accuracy of your Gps)

Also remember that the unit behaves differently in map view as against when in navigation mode.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, the camera database is just a collection of POI - precisely that- POINTS of interest.
There is no directional information stored in the POI data and no satnav that I know of would know how to deal with it, if there was.
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont they all do this? The Speed camera site is NOT `sensed` by the SATNAV,like a radar detector, but is aware of its position by cross referencing with GPS Satelites. The cameras position is stored as a co-ordinate in LATITUDE/LONGITUDE from a known datum, and this data is combined / overlaid onto a moving map display on your in-car satnav. It can seem a little startling at first, but clearly shows that there are cameras all over the place. The only way you can stop this is to set the satnav POI to a distance of say less than 150 feet, then possibly it wont alert you to any points outside that range! (it does`nt matter which side of the POI you arrive from.....if your in range it will alert you) Also look at it this way.if your running a little short on the motion lotion, You will want to see any and all POI files that contain fuel stops........and in this case, anything upto a mile in all directions would be of great help in your search for petrol. I know this may seem very simplistic, but I hope it helps.

Take care, keep your eyes on the road, not the navigator?

chas

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: