Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: PowerLOC Destinator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: PowerLOC Destinator 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and another question... Why did a US based supplier give you the kit to test? Is it only available from the US at the moment?
aris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review Thumbs Up
According to roundabouts (glorieta using Spanish Voice commanders, nice word, but mach more used rotonda) no problem at all, works perfectly well, with the patch, thanks Lutz Wink

russgunn
russgunn wrote:
Another great review guys! I have a few simple questions for you. Will Destinator 3 run on a PPC2002 system that already has TTN2 on it? Do you forsee any compatibility issues with running two types of navigation software? Is Destinator 3 setup to accept all types of GPS receiver, like cabled types and bluetooth types, or are there specific versions?

Thanks.

Works perfectly well I have both (TTN2 & D3) with W2002 (Cassiopeia e210) and also with W mobile 2003 (iPAQ2210), in RAM of course.
Maps from the North of Spain improved a lot, South were good enough.
Cheers,
aris
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to hear if it can run under PPC2002 - I am still waiting for a reply from PowerLOC in this respect. It would alse be nice to know if you can D2 and D3 on the same device, I would hat to loose D2 especially given the routing problems.

I cannot believe how low-key a launch PowerLOC have made of this product.
phantom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Destinator in Kane Car Pilot Reply with quote

The review was good and had me ready to jump in and buy D3. Then I read this forum and now feel very cautious.

Since Kane use PowerLOC Destinator 2 with UK written modifications in their current version of Car Pilot I will wait for Kane to bring out their version of Destinator 3.

phantom
wzitter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Good Review Reply with quote

I live in Tulsa Oklahoma and got my D3 the other day and so far so good. My version is 3.0.25 using ipaq 5555. One question I do have is when in 2d mode or birds eye view when i zoom in while on a trip it zooms back out to the default level after about 20 seconds. I can live with this but wanted to know if there was a way to fix it. Also the map data seems to be very good. I can only speak to Tulsa but the POI's for Tulsa is much improved. The routing that is done here in Tulsa seems to be about what it was with D2 which I am happy with. In D3 it does route to Dallas Tx the best way now going highway 75 south instead of taking I-35 south. The Eta is off by alot which i know will never be perfect but i wish it was better. Over all I am pretty happy with this version. It will get expensive to buy a new $168 version every year.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russgunn wrote:
Another great review guys! I have a few simple questions for you. Will Destinator 3 run on a PPC2002 system that already has TTN2 on it? Do you forsee any compatibility issues with running two types of navigation software? Is Destinator 3 setup to accept all types of GPS receiver, like cabled types and bluetooth types, or are there specific versions?

Thanks.

Russ, I haven't tested it under PPC2002, but I can't see there would be a problem there. I have Navman SmartST Pro, PowerLOC Destinator 3, TomTom Navigator 2, CoPilot Live, TeleType and a whole host of other GPS programs all installed at once. No problems whatsoever on a 2210, that's what I'm running. Maps are large though, so you may want to create your own map segment.

I have tested D3 both with the Leadtek 9531, Leadtek 9532, Holux GR-230, Fortuna Clip-On, Emtac/Socket Bluetooth GPS Receivers and had no problem whatsoever.

Last edited by Dave on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russgunn wrote:
Oh and another question... Why did a US based supplier give you the kit to test? Is it only available from the US at the moment?

PowerLOC were taking an age to send it to us and other European sites already had previews up, so in situations like this we attempt to put a contingency plan in place to guarantee the delivery of the product as quickly as possible. Just happened that no retailers had it in the UK, but it was shipping in continental United States, so BuyGPS Now helped us out :D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken with PowerLOC this afternoon and there is a problem with 3.0.25. Version 3.0.25 does include better routing (to overcome the problem we experienced in our review) and new features and a slightly enhanced GUI, but I do have clarification that there are problems with roundabout support.

PowerLOC say they do have a fix that is being tested internally and hopefully the patch will be available shortly once it's been fully regression tested. I am going to also do some testing for PowerLOC in this area, so fire any questions you have at me and I'll do some testing as soon as I receive the patch.
peteh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I have spoken with PowerLOC this afternoon and there is a problem with 3.0.25. Version 3.0.25 does include better routing (to overcome the problem we experienced in our review) . I do have clarification that there are problems with roundabout support.

PowerLOC say they do have a fix that is being tested internally and hopefully the patch will be available shortly.

Dave,

Thanks for the info, glad to hear they are addressing the roundabout problem. I'm curious to learn that they have fixed the routing issue in 3.0.25 though, I would say that they still have work to do in this area as at the begining and end of routes it does strange things and seems to route you through the back streets as it were, instead of the most obvious and direct way.

Pete.
siwatkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Dave wrote:

5) Tap on the first NEXT, the second turn should show you a roundabout sign with a left turn, do you see this, or is it just a turn left ? Tap NEXT

6) The next turn should be a roundabout sign (with Turn Right), do you see this or just turn right ?

Turn Lefts in both examples. Have emailed you a zip containing screenshots of the Turn by Turns for your route.

Dave wrote:

Also in OPTIONS | ALERT SETTINGS what do you have the visual notifications set to ? Do you have Verbal Visual Notification, Signs Visual Notification or No Visual Notification ?

One other thing to check, in OPTIONS | ROUTE SETTINGS do you have D3 set to Navigation mode or Planner mode ?

Have you applied any other skins ?

Signs Visual Notification
Navigation Mode
Not applied any other skins.

Hope that helps Dave, though it looks like Powerloc have acknowledged the roundabout problem.

I'm interested to hear that they've applied a Routing fix in 3.025 as the routing is weird - very weird in my 3.025. Even in Quickest route, it seems to love little side roads rather than the obvious main route. In an 18 mile journey from my house at Great Missenden, to Watford, it seemed to oscillate up and down from a straight line "as the crow flies" route. Autoroute 2002 routed it perfectly, down the most obvious route. To make Autoroute do the same as Destinator required 8 Via's.

Try routing from Rook Wood Way, Great Missenden, to the Harlequin Centre (Shopping POI), Watford. The route destinator takes is evil!

Thanks for getting involved in chasing down Destinator and helping nailing down these bugs.

Simon
peteh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siwatkins wrote:

It seems to love little side roads rather than the obvious main route.

I get exactly the same Simon, although I've found it more of a problem at the begining and end of the routes as I mentioned in an earlier post. I can't see why it does it. Incidentally I was in your vicinity a couple of weeks ago, bet you've had loads of fun with the roundabout problem :D

Pete.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have got to the bottom of this, and created a new thread rather than mix and match different problems/issues etc.

So, for the roundabout issue, please read and post on the this thread.
rybshik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Minimum size of PDA RAM and ROM to install Destinator 3 Reply with quote

Hi,
What is the minimum (but working) PDA RAM and ROM requirements to install Destinator 3?
I am thinking about buying a cheap used Compaq Ipaq 36xx with 32 MB RAM to install Destinator 3.
Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: