Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Internet Charges?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Charges?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcepser
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Internet Charges? Reply with quote

Hi all.

Four questions really, not sure if this is the right forum nevermind the right category.

1) How much does it cost to go onto the internet via GPRS?
2) How much does it cost to go onto the internet via Wi-Fi?
3) How much does it cost to go onto the internet when your phone is connected to you computer? (via the usb active sync cable)
4) How much does it cost to go onto MSN messenger via the above method?

I am based in the UK, I am on the O2 network. Thanks for your time and hope someone out there can help me. One more thing, I have the o2 xda mini S
256 Mini SD Card
Tomtom Navigator 5 (Great British Map)
BT GPS Receiver
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult one, but as I use all of the options you list I will try.
Via GPRS on O2 costs £3 per MB or part of MB, this can get expensive so consider a bolt on for data traffic if you really need this.

Via WIFI, assuming its a "Free" hot spot then it will cost you nothing, most service stations etc on motorways use BT Open Zone which again can be expensive £6 for a day, with lesser charges if you purchase by the week, month etc, check there web site for current charges.

Via your Home PC is free, assuming you allready have a broadband connection that you pay for, if its dial up then the charges will be the same as when surfing the net.

MSN costs me nothing over and above the charges detailed above, MSN doesn't consume much in the way of traffic, so even on GPRS its not too bad. - But it does use data traffic so there is a cost, but nowhere as heavy as full internet usage.

If you are going to use GPRS you need to get a utillity to monitor your GPRS traffic, I use SPB GPRS Monitor, which does a great job, (It came free with both my O2 phones).
One other point is O2 don't seem to mind a "reasonable amount" of GPRS traffic, and it can form part of your free mins of talk time, difficult to define "Reasonable" though so be careful, you could get stung with a costly months charges - Mike
tcepser
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a good job mike, thank you :D

I think I will avoid GPRS, i just wouldnt be safe on it. As for Wi-Fi, would I be right in assuming that if it hooks up to my wireless network in my house, that would be free?

Cheers again. The funny thing is I actually work for O2 but some of the options and bolt ons and tariffs even throught me sometimes!
256 Mini SD Card
Tomtom Navigator 5 (Great British Map)
BT GPS Receiver
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WIFI will have no additional costs when at home or connected via a free hot spot, (like the one I am using in the pub to type this), as for O2's charges - they are a minefield, perhaps you could mention this to them?? If you get stuck and need internet use the GPRS but monitor it as I mentioned earlier, its handy at times - Mike
jonajuna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im with T-Mobile who have (well they say the 1st april) just started a web n walk option of unlimited and uncapped net access via 3G or GPRS for a measly £7.50 per month as a bolt on to your price plan.

for me this is great as now i can use traffic live with no worries, have the PPC setup to check and collect mail from my accounts, leave MSN logged in and get all my weather updates and the like running automatically.

although the wife isnt happy that i now surf the net when we are out and about in the shops Laughing
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with o2 I was told by a data support rep that actual web browsing isn't charged for but downloading ie music,ringtones email etc is chargable

I have a t mobile phone aswell and a 6mb tarriff is fine for tt traffic and msn

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
jonajuna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
with o2 I was told by a data support rep that actual web browsing isn't charged for but downloading ie music,ringtones email etc is chargable

I have a t mobile phone aswell and a 6mb tarriff is fine for tt traffic and msn

i dont know how O2 can tell the difference, data is data and it is data that costs money to shift over a cellular network... but the mobile ops are changing the goal posts all the time so what do i know? :P

if you are with Tmob on 6mb bundle (which i was til now), you'd just as well stop that and go on the webNwalk option as it is only £1.50 per month more and you never have to worry about going over the limit (as there isnt one Smile ) (its £3 per MB if you go over your limit)
Supatramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: GPRS costs Reply with quote

find this an interesting thread, as I've recently started surfing the Net while away from home, using my BT enabled laptop hooked up to my Nokia 9500 via BT.
My ISP is AOL, and although I'm now on BB at home with AOL, I don't seem to be getting charged anything extra for using a dial-up connection when away. nor am I being charged anything extra by O2 for using the phone's modem.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, be aware that O2 have not been charging for GPRS for some time, but recently they have switched on the charge system, I got clobbered for £17 on the last bill, and that was only a few days usage - the costs are stupidly high - just thought you should know this before they hit you with a £300 bill in a single month (wouldnt be difficult to generate this amount of traffic at £2.50 per MB, as it is only about 4MB per day) - think about it - Mike
I locked the other post to avoid duplication
Supatramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: O2 GPRS costs Reply with quote

Thanks for your info Mike.
I've just had another bill from O2 and there still isn't any additional charging.
Regarding the duplication, you'll no doubt have noticed my explanation at the other thread.
mburton2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
David, be aware that O2 have not been charging for GPRS for some time, but recently they have switched on the charge system, I got clobbered for £17 on the last bill, and that was only a few days usage - the costs are stupidly high - just thought you should know this before they hit you with a £300 bill in a single month (wouldnt be difficult to generate this amount of traffic at £2.50 per MB, as it is only about 4MB per day) - think about it - Mike
I locked the other post to avoid duplication

For the 1st time in 18months, o2 have charged me....£72! ....for 15days....Looking at my usage online...a single Session cost me over £15!...

I've never seen any of my "free" usage show up on my online bill, yet the same moneth I'm going through an upgrade, all of a sudden my GPRS is being charged for..... Rolling Eyes I wonder if I can get a bolt-on for GPRS??
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least monitor you usage, included or otherwise to avoid the nasty shock. Various threshold warnings can be set.
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/gprsmonitor/screenshots.html?en
Supatramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: O2 GPRS Reply with quote

Well I was away for the past couple of weeks and used my phone/laptop quite a bit.
I went into my online phone bill and found some GPRS entries in late May, but my last bill, dated early June, was just the normal amount. There was nothing showing for later in June, so it'll be interesting to see what the next bill, due in a couple of weeks time, brings!!
David_A_James
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2's data billing seems to be totally screwy.

I had data charges appear for the first time on my bill dated 5th July. These were for 11th May to 31st May. Usage before 11th May has never been charged.

My unbilled calls is now (27th July) showing charges dated between 1st June and 29th June.

I added a data tariff to my account when I saw the size these data charges were running at. This should be effective from 5th or 6th July, but I guess I'm not going to be sure of that till the September bill.

O2's bolt-on data tariff's for pay monthly customers are O2 Data 5, 36, 75, 200, 512, and Max 1024 so far as I can see. They come with varying levels of inclusive data, and additional data is then charged at under £1 per Mbyte compared with (I think) approx £3 if you have no data tariff.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick tip for any of you using O2 on contract (as a few of you are in this topic), they have recently altered their charge and tariff charges -

I have just added the 36MB/ Month bolt on for £14:00 but I have lowered the basic tariff to a lesser charge but kept the same number of free mins on my main "talk" phone - so I effectivley now have 36MB/ Month at no extra charge.

It might be worth giving their support a ring to discuss your options and save some cash 08705 860860 once on this bolt on the additional charge per MB is still costly at 85P but this is considerably more bearable than the standard £3 - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: