Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom not working like it used to!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom not working like it used to!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Tom Tom not working like it used to! Reply with quote

I used to use Navigator 2 on my iPAQ 3760. I've hardwired the Haicom 203 receiver into the car so all I have showing on the dash is a single wire coming out just above the car kit cradle to connect the PDA. This setup worked well, very occasionally the Tom Tom GPS would stop reporting my direction so I installed a small push to break button in a discrete location as a reset switch.

Ok, so recently I decided to upgrade my PDA. The Toshiba e740 has XScale, Bluetooth and two memory card slots, so I bought one. Hmm... The unit seems slower than my old 3760 when in Navigator mode even after installing the Toshiba ROM flash. Could this be down to their CF being slow (I use a 8x CF card for maps)? Would upgrading to an SD card help?

The main thing is to do with satellite acquisition. With my 3760 I could plug the unit in, start Navigator 2 and as long as I hadn't parked under cover it would acquire in a couple of seconds. Not so with the e740; it seems to take ages to get a lock and often find myself needing to reset the Haicom.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really want to keep using the e740 as it is slimmer than the 3760 (I need to use it in a CF jacket for the memory card), and the bluetooth connectivity works well with my mobile phone. Or am I looking at going back to my 3760 if I want the performance I used to get?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is entirely correct but I think the Toshibas have a USB port, and they (as well as the 2210 iPAQ) are only emulating the serial port that's required for the serial GPS. Emulation results in loss of performance and robustness... Have you tried a BlueTooth GPS yet?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Abo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thought a bit about bluetooth but I don't want to shell out any more money than I really have to... Plus with the bluetooth gps units I presume you'll need to initiate a connection via the PDA every time you take it into the car? If that's the case it's easier just plug a cable into the bottom of the PDA IMHO...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, those are certainly fair points (although some of the connection can be automated if you always only use one device at the SerialPort profile). I also keep a serial GPS as a backup, and I feel the convenience of simply sliding the PDA into the mount and driving off...

You may want to get a statement from Toshiba then regarding the support of serial devices. Maybe they even have an updated driver of sorts?

Regarding the CF card/SD card question - no, currently SD cards are way slower than CF cards, so switching to SD only makes it worse.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Abo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, I'll drop Toshiba an email. I hope they can come up with something otherwise I might switch back to the iPAQ. The main reason for getting the e740 was so that I didn't have to lug the 3760, PCMCIA jacket, CF adaptor and card, and Nokia Cardphone around. I could just use GPRS via Bluetooth to get my emails etc., and plut it into the car for navigation.

The funny thing is, the company I work for (Orange) is changing my mobile to a Handspring Treo 600 in January. So I could go back to using the iPAQ solely as a navigation device, locking it in the glovebox when I leave the car. It means I don't have to mess about trying to amplify the audio too, as the iPAQ has a decent volume to it...
catken96
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,

You are correct. Toshiba use a PL-2303 USB to Serial Bridge Controller in

the Y lead. Brief Spec :-

USB Transceiver, RS232 Serial Interface, Over 1Mbps Data Transfer

Rate, 12Mhz Crystal Oscillator, Upstream / Downstream Data Flow

Buffers, Auto Handshake. Quite a versatile little chip. Info and block

diagram on http://www.prolific.com.tw/fr_pl2303.htm

Tom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: