Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POOR SOUND QUALITY FROM CP 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POOR SOUND QUALITY FROM CP 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: POOR SOUND QUALITY FROM CP 6 Reply with quote

I have recently been in touch with ALK technical support regarding the poor quality of the sound through my bluetooth handsfree devices from my Dell Axim X30 PPC. It crackles so badly that I cannot hear the instructions.

I have no such trouble on my Dell Axim X50v – even though it has less spare programme memory than the X30 when CP 6 is running. I have no such trouble from the X30 or the X50 when TomTom Navigator 5 is running.

ALK’s response was, more or less, as follows:

1. Since ALK don't make PPCs, they can't be sure which bluetooth drivers will work with their product.
2. Having made no specific claim that the sound will work through BT handsfree devices they dont take responsibility for it doing so.

While point 2 above may be factually correct it surely has to be of interest to a company to make their products work on as many platforms and with as many of the likely peripherals as possible. That is especially true when the same problem is absent from TomTom.

I read previously somewhere that there are similar sound quality problems on some PPCs, even without any bluetooth involvement. Has anyone any experience of this or, indeed, any solutions, please?
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be the speaker in the pda is broken, do you run the pda volume at full this can cause sound to distort i dont think is an alk problem at all it sounds like its a pda problem

my ipaq 2210 has problems with any sound the speaker is so quiet you cannot hear anything at any speed over 20mph this applies to all navigation products ive used on it also when used with an arkon multimeadia mount if the volume was to high on the pda the sound would distort to the point of being unable to make out what instructio was being given

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Alix.

I should have explained that the sound is perfectly clear through the PDA's own speaker. It is equally clear through plug-in earphones (whatever is playing - mp3s, navigator instructions, etc.). It is also clear when playing anything of mine other than Copilot (Windows Media Player, TomTom 5) through bluetooth itself .

Paul
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to take radical action to try to find the answer to the above.

First, I changed back to the previous version of my Axim X30's ROM,
which made no difference. Then I reverted back to Copilot 5, with which the bluetooth sound works perfectly well - on both PPCs - as does TomTom 5. Therefore it is CP 6 that is making the difference.

I would say again that ALK need to take an interest in this, and to make sure that their product works with the available hardware. I cannot be the only one who uses bluetooth handsfree sound with Copilot. There will also be future customers who want to use it, so this will affect sales to some extent. Even if it does so only to a small extent, the fact remains that this is another area in which Copilot is the one in which the snags haven't been sorted out.

This reminds me somewhat of the recent excuse for displaying the current speed rather than the speed limit in the speed camera display; i.e. "CP is not meant to be a speed camera detector" (their terminology)or similar.

Well, the competition can do these things, ALK, so rather more is necessary than trotting out the stock answer to anything at issue to the effect it isn't meant, or guaranteed to do what is required.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Paul
spindrift
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that the sound breaks up when it is calculating and trying to speak at the same time on my Mitac Mio 168 using CoPilot 6 with the patch. For instance, when passing a waypoint and the TTS says "You are close to your waypoint and CoPilot is calculating the route to your next stop" (or some such).

I use waypoints frequently as I tow a caravan and need to be sure I don't end up on inappropriate roads, but it didn't do this before I installed the patch, or with CP5 either. Other speech doesn't seem to be affected in normal use.

I haven't tried it without the patch installed (because I can't be bothered to reinstall everything and it's not that big a problem at the moment) but could this be a memory problem related to the patch?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spindrift writes:

Quote:
... the sound breaks up when it is calculating and trying to speak at the same time ... For instance, when passing a waypoint and the TTS says "You are close to your waypoint and CoPilot is calculating the route to your next stop" ...

Yes, I have always experienced that, with CP 5 & 6 and on both my PPCs, and I never found it enough of a problem to mention.

The present issue is much more serious. All of the speech breaks up all of the time, one one PPC, but not the other and with CP 6 but not CP 5 or TomTom Navigator 5.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: