Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket GPS UK Safety Camera Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment the European Cameras are contained in the POCKETGPS_UK_SC.ov2 POI database. We are reviewing this and may in future break these down by country.
Demongroover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you added the Derby(shire) area yet?
There is a big hole in this area with no cameras showing.

Here's a link to the Derbyshire camera locations.
http://www.slowitdown.co.uk/mobile_list.asp

Good work, keep it up,
Simon, Derby, UK.
supertouring
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a StreetPilot 2610 and was disappointed to find there were no easily downloadable list of UK speed camera for the device. After some searching I was luckily to find your site. Using a bit of Excel Macro "Magic" and a tool to create MapSource Waypoints from a text file I have been able to load all my local speed cameras into MapSource and onto my GPS.

Thanks for publishing this list, it is extreemly useful to those who value their license. Wink

SuperTouring
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are a few mistakes in the database though. It seems to fire off a warning when I drive past a normal *traffic* camera on the M3. There aren't any speed cameras on the M3.... It's possible there might be one on a nearby road that's also in range, but it's a bit of a co-incidence there's a huge traffic camera exactly where the icon is on the map.

Nick...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG,

Inevitably there will be some innaccuracies as the camera data is collated from submissions by readers. Some sites have been added that are known haunts for regular mobile speed traps, whilst the usefulness of this data is beyond doubt, the difficulty here is that there is no way of identifying these temporary trap sites to the driver and so they appear to be either false or relating to cameras that no longer exist.

If you suspect a location of being incorrect then it would helps us if you could submit the ID No. of the Camera POi's in dispute and if found to be incorrect they will be removed.

It may be that we look towards pruning these from the main database and introducing a seperate 'mobile site' database but we're a small team and already have a full schedule! I'll add it to the suggestions list though Thumbs Up
jaguar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Red light warning cameras and duplicates in POI overlay Reply with quote

Fellas

I think that the red light warning cameras should definitely be removed from the overlay file. Morally there is no good reason for warning people that a particular junction is not OK to jump the lights, but others are.

More importantly, when there are large numbers of warnings coming at you, they tend to become background noise and you miss the important ones. I have edited out all of the red light cameras from my usual routes and have found that I pay more attention to the real cameras as a result.

Finally, there are a lot of duplicate and non-existant cameras in the overlay file for my area (M4, A312, A40, A406). For the 45 mile run I do daily I have removed 11 cameras in total! Is someone checking actual camera existence when new ones are submitted or are they just added to the file?

Jaguar
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light warning cameras and duplicates in POI overlay Reply with quote

jaguar wrote:
I think that the red light warning cameras should definitely be removed from the overlay file.

I agree completely. Why on earth does anyone want to be warned about jump cameras? It's never safe to jump a red light and if you do so, you deserve to die anyway. If you have a POI audio warning system installed, then it's just annoying.

Please remove the jump cameras from the database, or at least, split them off into a seperate file so those of us that aren't 16 year old joyriders don't need to be warned about them.

Nick...
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jaguar and NickG,

I agree with you that the red light cameras should be removed from the speed camera file. However they should be in a separate file for red light cameras so that you may have the option of downloading and using the red light camera file if you wish.

Why do I say this, I hear you ask? Well I perceive (rightly or wrongly) that the vast majority of the speed cameras are for raising revenue and not for improving safety on our roads. On the other hand, I see far less red light cameras than speed cameras. Therefore I believe that they (red light cameras) are installed for a safety reason. That reason may be for a number of reasons. Yes, young irresponsible joyriders may be a factor, but so may poor and confusing road design, inappropriate light timings, etc.. Therefore I would like an advance warning of an area that is considered to be enough of a hazard by the local authorities that they have placed a red light camera there.

There is a local road to me, which is a duel carriageway and has a 70mph speed limit. There is a right turn that was closed (for saftey reasons) only to be reopened a few years later with traffic light control. This is such a dangerous set of traffic lights that the locals who are headed straight on with their traffic lights on green will start to break when the right hand turn filter turns green because the timings are so quick that it is difficult to stop (even in the dry) without the lights going amber for the through road.

I’m not a young joyrider and I’m certainly not a speed freak. My vehicle will cruise at 70mph but won’t go much more even if I tried or wanted it to. I don’t consider myself to be a good driver, but I do have a maximum no claims discount on my insurance, I have never seen an accident in my rear view mirror, and I currently have a clean driving licence.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Mclaren1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
This is great but when will the next update be released?

What is the latest version Sept. the link on the main page points at one for Aug but I fond Sept in the down load part!

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light warning cameras and duplicates in POI overlay Reply with quote

jaguar wrote:
Finally, there are a lot of duplicate and non-existant cameras in the overlay file for my area (M4, A312, A40, A406). For the 45 mile run I do daily I have removed 11 cameras in total! Is someone checking actual camera existence when new ones are submitted or are they just added to the file?

Whilst we would love to have the time and resources to personally verify each new camera submitted, we don't! The database (which is free) is as accurate as we are able to make it within the limits of our resources, where innacuracies are reported we do our utmost to correct them and the whole basis of the service is that it relies on our readers to update us when new cameras are discovered and notify us when errors exist.

Regarding the Red Light cameras, we have discussed this in the past and I will raise this again as I too don't see any justification for their inclusion. It's not a simple matter of removing them as we are unable to identify them en-masse. If readers can record those that exist and notify us we can at least amend the description tag for that location and as and when a decision is made on their removal we can identify them and remove them Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version is on our download page dated November.
Mclaren1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put my glasses on and had another look, I have searched for additions over the last month and a bit etc but the latest I can find is
Description: Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database
Added on: 16-Sep-2003

I wanted to check the database before trying to work out how to submit changes ie loads of safety cameras on M25 (junction with M11) which had been there for the long term road works but have been gone now for sometime.

Also I have a few additions to submit if they are not already in.

I think this is a really great service I want to do my bit now my job will be having me driving around in the new year and I have a TomTom system.

Is there anything else we can do to help?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you are seeing that but on the Safety Camera page at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php directly under the main map graphic is the link to the download entitled Download November 2003 UK Safety Camera Database v1.111

The temporary cameras at the M23/M11 Junction have been deleted in this release Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see where you mean, it shows on our download page it was added 16-Sep-2003. This is when it was added to the database, not the file date. If you download the file from here it downloads the latest version from the Safety Camera Page which is dated November Release.

If you open the ZIP file and take a look at the dates of the files, you will see they are dated November 2003!
Mclaren1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, that solves the mystery!

I will check to see if the other cameras are in this release and if not I will let you know.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 9 of 22

Jump to: