Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wayfinder Trial version...First thoughts, long post.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wayfinder Trial version...First thoughts, long post.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, forgot to ask,

Which Route 66 file do you copy the speed camera data base files to?

Where can you get the spoken voices from and again where do you copy these files to?

Cheers Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of my post at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40587 this details how to do it, the second post just explaines the database is avail for download. Mike
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,

Explains how to put them on a PDA but not a Nokia mobile phone.

Have put the SD card into the card reader but where do I paste the speed camera files?

There is no folder with POI's shown.

Cheers Ian
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried all of that still will not work.

Route 66 on the mobile phone has POI's shown but there is no folder on the SD card with POI's must be in the map data somewhere.

Anyway to carry on with the Wayfinder Trial.
I thought I would post and tell you all that when you take everything into account this for me was the best package.

So I can now tell you that I did indeed buy the Wayfinder Lifetime software package.

Yes it has it faults but so do all the other sat-nav software programs.
The mywayfinder.com web page that you can access when you buy the software is really amazing, planning routes sending them to the phone synchronising with the phone all your favourites.
Then you can also report map errors which they solve with the map provider.
Another function which I find really good is route errors, the route can be planned on the PC and then each turn is highlighted which you can amend, they say it takes 4-5weeks but that is just excellent.
The route it plans for me, everytime I travel south, is through a very small village with narrow roads, when I could just go straight on and bypass it.
With this function it's brilliant put the route in and select the turns and tell them whats wrong. fantastic.

Hope this helps any of you who are looking at buying one of the Mobile phone sat-nav programs.

Like I've said, I have used all of them now except Navicore. They are all very good programs and they will all get you from A-B.
It will be down to personal preference and which you feel most comfortable with.
Wayfinder is still the only one to offer a free 5 day trial which is really good, the others don't seem to do this but with TomTom just have a play with the "GO" units as it's almost the same but with a smaller (and no touch) screen
I still belive TomTom has the best user interface. but for me Wayfinder with the 4 map updates per year FREE and the website where I can point out errors and plan routes etc just swung it.

Cheers Ian
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time since I posted here so just an update.

Been using Wayfinder now for some months and overall I'm really impressed, there are a few issues but aren't there with with all of these software programs?
Here are the following points:-

1. The guide view is very good and the voice instructions are excellent.
2. I've not really missed the 3D map view.
3. The mywayfinder web page is excellent for planning your route so you can see where you will be going, then save it and send it to your phone.
4. I've actually sent in a route error and 2weeks later it had all been amended!!!
5. The TRAFFIC MASTER data works very well, diverts around any problems, and tries to get you back on the main road as soon as possible.
This doesn't constantly re-route you however so you have to press the centre joystick every so often so when it does re-route you, It will get the latest traffic data.
6. The data seems pretty accurate and up to date, as the server gets updated every 10mins it should be good.
7. The Cyclops speed camera warning system is still a bit hit and miss at the moment, when you go to the map view it does show the speed cameras, the problem is on the guide view.
Speed camera Icons are missing from the guide view and the voice alert warning of the speed cameras is also missing.
Wayfinder know about this and are working on a fix.

Overall very pleased with software.

Ian
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic master is fantastic. We have a review of it on wayfinderlife and it really is accurate. I was updating manually ever 5 minutes and on one route a traffic problem popped up and re-routed me before I hit the trouble. Its just a shame the auto update doesnt work for traffic master data just yet.

The cyclops cameras are also accurate but only on the map, the guide view seems to be a bit random when it comes to letting you know about the cameras.

Recently ive started playing with tomtom on my new JAMin and I must say its great, the one major thing that lets wayfinder down is a simple one. Its the usability with your finger. You need the stylus on so many screens with wayfinder where as tomtom you can use your finger for everything including text entry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: