Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - (Nuvi 360) Questions.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

(Nuvi 360) Questions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CeeJay,

With regards to the Nuvi mount, like the TT, the power lead connects onto the mount. However, although the supplied mount is a windscreen suction type, it is possible to buy an adapter and use it with (at least) the Garmin beanbag dashboard mount. The windscreen mount is very good and very stable. I have also used the beanbag mount previously and depending on if you have a suitable place for it, is also very good and didn't slide (and this was in an Impreza turbo!).

You also have the option of powering the nuvi directly, through the usb port, however you wouldn't be able to use the TMC module, unless that accepted the power lead instead.

About the only thing you may not like initially is that Garmin units do not scroll the map smoothly like TT units do. They update the position once every second instead of the video game style smooth scrolling of the TT.

Hope that helps!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosiei wrote:
But then I'd have no speach at all surely. I want to just maybe have road numbers not the whole street name

but as far as a sat nav unit is concerned a numbered road will be the same as a named road. whether it's called Thornton Road or B6145 - it will 'read' the 'name' of the road. there's probably no easy way to separate these unless the map suppliers double the amount of data and have separate fields for road name and road number then there could be an option in whicever sat nav unit you use to say which one it should read. problem is, when there's no road numbers like in a housing estate (where you're more likely to get lost anyway) then the TTS is practically useless...

MaFt
rosiei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my TT910 I have it set to read just Rd numbers--obviously smaller rds don't have numbers so then I rely on turn right in 50 yds etc--but I got fed up with the TT telling me to turn right on B2136..red rose rd north (as an example) sometimess there was just toooo much information--you can also programme the TT to say just road names and no rd numbers---so theres another option I wondered if the Nuvi could do.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, Me again.

Tosty, thanks for the heads up on the mount.
Not sure I like the sound of that.
Why is life so complicated?
All I want to do is plug my leads into the unit and adapt my Proclip to support a mount.
Managed it with the Navman 520 but the functionality of the unit was pony.
Off to trawl the web for pictures to see 'what can be done' with the mount. Wink

Thanks to you all for your input.

CeeJay.
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceejay,

Which leads do you want to connect to the nuvi? Cigarette adapter power lead and audio (3.5mm jack)? No problem, just connect direct to the nuvi. It's only the power that is duplicated on the mount anyway. The only problem might be if your mount grips the unit either side, because the power and audio output are on the left side of the nuvi.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CeeJay wrote:
All I want to do is plug my leads into the unit and adapt my Proclip to support a mount.
What are you trying to do, and what can't you do? If you are using a Proclip, have you seen the Brodit Nuvi mount that will attach to the ProClip and then use the standard front part of the Nuvi mount giving you the ability to just plug in the Nuvi and go (unless you need the audio / TMC cables as well).
geofflowe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 360 now but it can't get Audible manager to recognise it even though it shows up in My Computer and accepts POI's etc.

Any ideas why? My 350 was fine but the manager screen just says Nuvi not connected?
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to All
To Tosty & Swing.
Sounds like that's what I'm after.
I would prefer the power lead straight into the unit after the TT experience with a dodgy mount design.
I'll cross the TMC bridge as and when I get to it.
For now though I've ordered the 360, due for delivery tomorrow. :D Can't wait.
From what I can make out reading the other threads the Garmin has it's quirks but for the most part seems to be a decent unit .
Just hope it doesn't go and prove me wrong.
Once again guys thanks for all your help. Thumbs Up

CeeJay.
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am in a bit of the dilemma and need some help and suggestions please. I like the Nuvi360 except for 3 things. We are driving around Europe in two weeks and I prefer to plan our route via many small towns and villages but the Nuvi only allows one waypoint. Secondly I drive a convertible and it is noisy and the TT910 seems to be louder. Lastly the TT910 automatically adjusts the volume depending on speed and I would really like this feature in the Nuvi.

I can't live without any of these three features but I can live with the TT mount, shape and in any case prefer Garmin products. Am I stuck in a catch 22?
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any Garmin unit adjusts the volume depending upon speed.

Yes, the nuvi is apparently somewhat quiet, I can't compare because I have not owned a Tomtom. You could always plug the nuvi into a cassette adapter or some such device and amplify via the car hifi - it comes with a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Regarding the waypoints, as you say for some reason Garmin bestoed it with only one! Goodness knows why, I would have liked to pre plan a trip using Mapsource. The best you could do is to plot various points as waypoints, perhaps using Mapsource, then save them to the nuvi. Perhaps name them so they appear in the correct order, a1 town1, a2 town2 etc and then instead of navigating to the destination, just navigate to the next waypoint, and then the next etc. You might want to look further up the Garmin range for multiple waypoint products.
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tosty.

The problem of volume is a major one and unfortunately for me my car stereo does not have line-in input or a cassette and as such the only alternative would be to use a FM transmitter which is not ideal.

The waypoint thing is also bizarre and although I appreciate the workaround you suggest I couldn't do it. For instance we are traveling around Europe for 17 days and all the routes are of my choosing but I would prefer these to be done on the PC, saved and then transferred to the unit. The software allows me to do this but I can't save them to the unit or load up each days driving in one go. I don't want to press a button for each waypoint to tell the unit for the next destination because on some legs I have 30 or more such points through the Alps. Maybe Garmin will introduce this in a future release but I need my unit this week. Sad

My search for another unit has been ongoing for a long time without success. I like the size and weight of the Nuvi but with the functionality of the 2720 or 550. I am now veering towards the TT710/910 but with hesitation. I think I have found another solution and it is to use the new TT Rider Europe. It is for the bikes, route planning on the PC and transferred to the unit, BT headset for the instructions, BT headset included, a fairly loud speaker on the unit, anti-glare and weather proof unit with NavTeq maps instead of their Teleatlas ones. Sounds what I need but I have not seen it first hand yet.
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question. Can I pair my BT headset with the Nuvi so that I can hear the instructions through it? I am not bothered about MP3 capability, audiobooks etc but if I could do this then half my problems are solved. Can this normally be done with any unit supporting BT or is it specific units that allow you to match a headset to a nav unit?
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Rider has just come down a bit in price. On the tomtom website it now lists at £399 previously £499. Regarding the maps they are a bit confusing. I think it comes with Navteq maps for Channel Islands because Teleatlas haven't mapped us yet, but not sure where else they are included. Seems like a nice unit, but you have to get extras to work in the car - cigarette power adapter maybe? Also no speaker on it, only BT. Pre planning is done via new Home software, but unlike Mapsource you need to connect your tomtom to it as it uses those maps, rather than a separate copy like Mapsource. Not used any tomtom so I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I only had a nuvi 350 so I would assume a BT nuvi would send the nav guidance through to a BT headset, but can't confirm. Am currently looking at a Kenwood KNA-G520 (made by Garmin) and associated head unit (DDX6029). £999, but would do all you wanted!! Sorry, that probably doesn't help much.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostinweb wrote:
Another question. Can I pair my BT headset with the Nuvi so that I can hear the instructions through it?
A Handsfree bluetooth connection to a phone is a different Bluetooth profile than an Audio Gateway (which passes audio onto a Bluetooth Headset) - I've not seen anything that says the Garmin supports the Audio Gateway so until someone tries it and confirms I wouldn't assume it will.
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the help. I have decided not to buy one for now. The Nuvi is what I really want but with route planning which it doesn't do. Went to Dixons and Comet yesterday to buy a TT910 instead and both the 910 and 510 wouldn't start at both shops. I had to reset it for them and having experienced this first hand and read this forum about TT they are not an alternative either.

Back to good old fashioned paper based maps for our Europe trip. I know my wife will get us lost, again, but they are reliable and the best I can hope for at the moment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: