Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest 2 does not recognize external power source
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest 2 does not recognize external power source

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogsarg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Quest 2 does not recognize external power source Reply with quote

My new Quest 2 is my first GPS. I had it on the car charger/speaker unit for a half hour or so when the low batter light came on. When I look at the battery indicator screen, it does now show that it is charging or connected to external power. I have checked the cradle and see that there is 5VDC on two of the terminals that mate up to the contacts on the rear of the unit. I get the same indication when it is connected to a PC with the USB cord. Two questions:

1. Should it charge via the USB cord?

2. Is there anything that needs to be done to a new unit in order to get it to charge?

Thanks for any advice.
cal50
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing. I wiggled it around on the mount a bit and it made contact.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not enough power through a usb cable to charge the internal battery .If you want to charge from the mains you have to buy a mains charger as an extra .I think leaving one out from the standard kit may be a cost cutting exercise as I had one with my Quest 1.

Try pluging into car charger which will auto switch the Quest on ...then switch it off and let it charge,you should see the battery symbol jumping around the screen.

Dave
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Quest 2 does not recognize external power source Reply with quote

ogsarg wrote:
1. Should it charge via the USB cord?

No, unfortunately it won't. :x I have loads of other stuff that does, it's too bad that the Quest won't.

The Quest should just charge while it's in the car cradle. Too bad that the Quest 2 doesn't come with a mains adaptor - although I rarely use my one since it just charges up in the car all the time.

If you put it in the car cradle and the speaker is working then it should be charging. Press the power button once and the battery indicator should have a lightening bolt though it if it is charging.

If it is running on car power and you switch the ignition off or unplug it then it should auto power off in 30 seconds unless you press a button to stop it.
ogsarg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I did have the speaker working, but there was no lightning bolt on the battery indicator when in the cradle.

It also did not turn on or off when plugging or unplugging the cig adapter. I guess it is either defective or the cradle contacts are not meeting up with the contacts on the unit. Since it's brand new, I think I'll just send it back and get it replaced.

What is the charging voltage supplied by the cradle? I did measure 5VDC on two of the prongs. If the charging voltage is 5V, then it seems that it could get that via the USB also. It's a little dissapointing that they don't supply an AC adapter.

Thanks again for the helpful info.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogsarg wrote:
What is the charging voltage supplied by the cradle?

My mains adaptor says 5v DC @ 1 amp.

I was going to suggest that you double check that the Quest has snapped securely into the cradle, but if the sound works then the power should too. Maybe the contacts in the cradle are a bit squashed or dirty?

I'm clutching at straws here - it sounds like you have a faulty unit. It's probably best to send it back. :x
ogsarg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
ogsarg wrote:
What is the charging voltage supplied by the cradle?

My mains adaptor says 5v DC @ 1 amp.

I was going to suggest that you double check that the Quest has snapped securely into the cradle, but if the sound works then the power should too. Maybe the contacts in the cradle are a bit squashed or dirty?

I'm clutching at straws here - it sounds like you have a faulty unit. It's probably best to send it back. :x

I guess if it needs 1 amp, then that would explain why it won't charge from the USB cable. I don't think they have that kind of current.

I did make sure the unit was securely in the cradle and wiggled it about. I did some messing with the contacts on the cradle, but I figure if I pulled one too hard and it broke, they'd use that as an excues to void the warranty or something. As much as I hate to wait for an exchange, but I guess I'll have to.

Thanks again. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something down the road.
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a little WD40 on the end of a cotton bud and give the contacts a rub. The Quest 2 is supplied with a PSU in the UK but I don't think the USA Q2's are.

cheers Bob
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem silly but have you flipped out the aerial before putting it in the cradle??

Dave
ogsarg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely had the antenna flipped out. Cleaned contacts on both sides. Wiggled the around while watching the battery indicator and never got any indication that it was charging.

I suspect the contacts for the 5V were mis-aligned and I problaby could have tweaked them but they looked pretty fragile and didn't want to break them.

On a positive note, I got an email from the retailer saying they shipped the replacement today. I just shipped the other one on Monday and they haven't even received it yet. Very good service for a discount retailer.

I'll let you all know how it goes when the new one arrives.
cal50
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the U.S. and yes I had to buy the house power adapter. I found one on ebay. It is not a precision part to say the least. I found that both the car mount and the home adapter can be attached to the quest 2 and not make contact. Mine always works after a small adjustment. My daughter bumped it in the car once and instead of hearing the voice prompt I heard the beep beep for signal to turn.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: