Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go910 released too early?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go910 released too early?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awdxs1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go910 released too early? Reply with quote

I purchased a Tomtom 910 two week ago when they first came out, this us not my first use of a Tomtom product I have been using one since Version 2 on the PDA.
We have encountered several issues with the new TT910, The car mount I think has a design flaw, The first one would reboot the TT over the slightest bump, the second although better has reset on seveal occasions. TT are sending a new power adapter claiming that wil fix it. The Software has several unwanted 'features'. I know you expect some problems but not fundimental design issues.
I was suprised by the lack of reviews from this site and others I presume as you were no allowed to release a review against a pre production product it would have not bee too favourable. Overall I think they are onto a winner once they have resolved the glitches.
One of the problems I have encountered is the 7 digit post codes for the UK. When using Version 3 on the PDA I used an add on program (now unavailable because of copyright issues) which correctly found BN12 6JP.... on version 5.xx with TT own attempt at postcodes it claimed that postcode at No7 and above. I am dismayed to find V6.02 (TT910) also has this problem Tomtom support in their usual fashion blamed the map data cannot be fixed...... This is not a map data issue its how their software locates postcodes on the map..... I understand Ordinance Survey hold the copyright to that data They agree I have a valid postcode for my address.
Although I am keen on the TT product I think the problems that exist and the rubbish support people are being offered are going to mean I am going to return our TT for a full refund. If I had any faith in TT's ability to take seriously their customers issues I would stick with them, Maybe the Garmin C550 would be better is Garmins support as bad as Tomtoms?

Sorry if this seems like a rant, but its frustrating to spend £450 to be a beta tester!...... They did beta test this product didn't they?

So if you contemplating the purchase of TT910 please be aware there are some issues to resolve...

regards

AWDXS1
mbproject21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin C550 is most definitely the better choice. I know a lot of people who have had to return their 10s for the same reasons you just mentioned.

It has an integrated receiver for starters, plus the bluetooth call quality is miles better on the nuvis than it is on the tomtom.

Plus when you call or e-mail tomtom they can't be bothered.

The c550 comes out next month so you better grab one!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: