Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Catch 22 TomTom Maps - What to do?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Catch 22 TomTom Maps - What to do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leblanc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Catch 22 TomTom Maps - What to do? Reply with quote

I contacted an on-line seller for TT maps and asked if their W.Europe maps on cd were the latest version. They said yes but when I persisted for reassurance they gave me TomTom's customer service number to verify matters.
I telephoned TT customer services and after persistent questioning found that the maps are to be fully upgraded around the end of this month, but they would not give a date. When I asked if I would get a free upgrade If I bought the maps with just weeks to go, they said no.
I was then advised to download the maps from TT as they would be the latest version but not the upgrade. I then asked if I would receive a free upgrade, and they said no. So I have come full circle once again.
Yet the upgrade maps at the end of the month would be the same price as the current downloadable maps.
This seems quite ludicrous to me.
1. They won't give the date for the new maps, other than state they will be around the end of this month.
2. They say if you need the maps then go ahead and download or buy them but you will have to pay about £30 to £40 to upgrade them in a few weeks!!!
This does not seem sensible or reasonable to me!
I am travelling to France in 2 weeks so what do I do?
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when has anything to do with TomTom customer support been sensible and reasonable!!.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not by nature a fan of subscription based services - but for updated maps if they follow a regular release schedule, what could be better, both for the consumer, and the supplier.

We would get updated maps but only pay for the length of time they were current; and if done by DD, the producer would have a regular income stream. Everyone gains.

But, there is probably a bean counter trying to extract the maximum profit out of each individual sale, without looking at the whole picture - as is so often the case. Less take from higher volumes equals happy customers and more profitable business - an economic fact which seems to escape some.
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

if you are going to france in a couple of weeks the you will have to buy the maps now (on cd or download)

ask yourself do you really NEED the latest maps? are you going to a new housing estate in france that is not on any maps yet?

remember that even the newest maps seem to be a couple of years out of date (just walk into whsmith and check out any map book)

just take pleasure in the fact that the new update (that every one buys and then moans about how few updates there really are) will probably have very few updates if last years farse (sorry update) is anything to go by

linrew
Leblanc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all comments.
The reason I wanted the latest maps for France was to take a more central route down France and cross the Milau bridge among other things.
westentertainer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what version are the latest maps ? i have just purchased a 910 exelent only one query..
i was following my mate [he has a garmin]we were on a road that was on is map but on my 910 i was traveling in a field???
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 910 has the latest Maps V650

And yes they are woefully out of date in parts still!.

But then this has always been one of the bugbears with TomTom.

Great UI Poor Mapping!
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westentertainer wrote:
i was following my mate [he has a garmin]we were on a road that was on is map but on my 910 i was traveling in a field???

Well at least if you're in a field you can't be sent the wrong way down a one way street, which the TeleAtlas maps are also prone to.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: