Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom BT Car Fuse Kit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom BT Car Fuse Kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seanm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: TomTom BT Car Fuse Kit Reply with quote

How difficult (for a non sparky) would it be for me to hardwire the BT charger using the supplied cable to my car?

I thought it might be as easy as locating a spare fuse socket and plugging it in, but the supplied cable has 2 wires coming out of the fuse holder.

Do they not connect in my fuse box?

Sorry if its a dumb question, don't know where to start.

I know someone is going to tell me to use a qualified mechanic, but I would like to have a go this afternoon.

Cheers!

Sean
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Not too hard Reply with quote

You will find the permanent 12V cable for the car has two wires coming from the plug, one red and one black. The red wire goes into the attached fuse and another red wire comes out of the fuse.

You need to connect the free red wire that comes out of the fuse to the positive 12volts supply on your car and the black wire to the negative supply.

You will need to find suitable supply points on your car wiring. I would recommend for this removeable unit, unless you leave it permanently powered on in the car, to connect it to an always live circuit. This means that the unit will not power down every time you turn off the ignition and have to lock on again.

An easy way for those not familiar with soldering or crimping is to connect the wires using Scotchlocks. These connectors clip around the wires you wish to connect into and when you squeeze them shut, they cut the insulation and make contact with the metal wires inside.

If you are in any doubt ask a friend who knows about car wiring to help you find suitable wires.

The biggest job in wiring car electrics is not the electrical work, but removing and installing the trim to get to the electrics and run your cable.

Another tip, make sure you know your radio key code before you start in case you accidentally remove the power to the radio, as you will need it to power up the radio again.

NEVER run this unit with the 12V cable and any other cable at the same time.
seanm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MrT!!

Will call on the handy next door neighbour. He knows his way around cars.
Royalty
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Not too hard Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
NEVER run this unit with the 12V cable and any other cable at the same time.

Does wiring it to the back of the cigarette lighter count, or do you mean for instance not to connect an iPAQ power cable AND a TT2 BT to the same lighter wires?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Cables Reply with quote

Don't connect a 5V (round plug) supply and a 12V (square plug) supply to the TomTom Bluetooth unit at the same time. Section 3.3.1 in the manual.

You can power your Ipaq and TT Bluetooth from the same lighter socket. The TT Bluetooth comes with the cables so you can do this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: