Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Saving POIs to SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving POIs to SD card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bendandthrow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Saving POIs to SD card Reply with quote

My i3 has the maps preloaded in internal memory, and it came without a transflash micro SD card. When I tried to save the 30k+ POIs from this site it said there was insufficient memory. I could only save about 20k POIs.

Therefore I bought a new micro SD card. However, when I use POI loader it does not seem to recognise the card, and still reports insufficient memory.

Any ideas how to work around this?

Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've also had an email similar to this but as i've not got an i3 with the maps loaded internally then i can'thelp...

if anyone can advise then it'd be much appreciated so i can update my site and answer all the queries i'm bound to get about this!!

in the meantime, i presume you'reusing the download form www.garminpoi.co.uk? if so then try deleting the wi-fifile (there's a few thousand in there) and any others that you may not need.

MaFt
bendandthrow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt

You are correct, it is your POIs I have downloaded. I believe Halfords are now shipping all their units without cards, with the maps preloaded internally. Therefore I predict many more users with the same question.

The fact that my new card did not seem to be recognised begs the question: what if I buy the Europe maps on another card? Will they be recognised? Have Halfords screwed up the system?

You suggest not loading the WiFi POIs as there are thousands of them. For my information, if I don't load these POIs does that mean I am freeing up space for a similar number of personal POIs, ie Favourites? My concern at present is that even though I have restricted the number of POIs that I'm loading to about 20k (rather than the total of 32k), I am not sure how much space is left for storing favourite destinations. I would rather have them than know where the nearest Asda is. However, if a personal favourite address takes up the same amount of space as 1 wifi location or Asda location (for example) then it should not be a problem.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i presume that one favourite will take up as much space as one 'line' or location in the csv file. i.e. it only needs the basic data of latitude, longitude and a name.

the issue with the new i3's is that no one knows what memory they have... the original ones, with map on card, was a 256mb card with about 40 or so mb free - that's a LOT of space for favourites and custom poi's. i reckon the new ones will have the minimum required for the maps and a bit of space for custom points/favourites.

you could try this though: if you have a transflash card reader (i.e. a usb reader thing that shows up as a removable drive) then try setting poi loader to load the csv files to the removable drive via the reader then put the card into the i3 to see if it will pick up the poi's that way. if that works can you let me know and i can add a bit to my site.

cheers

MaFt
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looked at the i5 garmin site which i believe is the same as the new flash memory i3...it states that the i5 has a capacity of 500 waypoints..i just wonder if this is the maximum poi's the i3 will take without a card inserted...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
just looked at the i5 garmin site which i believe is the same as the new flash memory i3...it states that the i5 has a capacity of 500 waypoints..i just wonder if this is the maximum poi's the i3 will take without a card inserted...

doesn't the i5 have 2gb memory though for the entire usa maps? i'm sure the i3 will be much smaller capacity especially if uk can fit on about 100mb...
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might be right MaFt, but i cant find any ref to the memory capacity of the i5 on the garmin site...
AndyArk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a similar issue with my C320, this has a 256MB card with about 30MB free, I'm pretty sure POI's are not put onto the card, checking in a card reader I can't see anything other than the map set.

I created a POI set that was small enough to fit on the unit, Speed cams & most of MaFt's POI's - the total file size for this CSV's & BMP's was just under 1MB so I assume this is the internal storage limit for custom POI's, doesn't sound much but it did fit about 22k POI's!
Roblatus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also just come across this same problem on my c320. Has anyone figured out a way to put POI's onto the SD card yet?? can it even be done??

For now i just removed all of the POI's i didn't need and stored them on the unit using the POI loader, i managed about 24000 POI's

Also when the new v8 maps come out will i be able to search via postcode as well as address????

Rob
hcl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: POI's and i3 (AND c310) Reply with quote

Roblatus wrote:
I have also just come across this same problem on my c320. Has anyone figured out a way to put POI's onto the SD card yet?? can it even be done??

For now i just removed all of the POI's i didn't need and stored them on the unit using the POI loader, i managed about 24000 POI's

Also when the new v8 maps come out will i be able to search via postcode as well as address????

Rob

I have been having some problems just lately trying to sort out the POI's. (I have a c310 - I did have an i3 but that's another story) -
anyway -
I posted for help on another thread and MaFt was very helpful but to no avail - HOWEVER...
I downloaded the latest version of Firmware (5.10), and POI Loader then worked hunky dory;
and to the meat of this thread...
In the course of my investigatiuons I bought a 1GB Transflash with adapter to backup the maps - it don't work - the maps are there but when put into the GPS it says Load Mapsource Disc! I presume therefore that it SHOULD be possible to use the Mapsource disk to upload the (whatever) maps????? into the GPS ???
I will try in the near future to try some POI's on it, just to see what happens ...
doobs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: POI's and i3 (AND c310) Reply with quote

despite me posting loads of messages about my c310, I am learning fast (i think) - I also found that I could only load poi's onto internal memory - I eventually managed about 24000 odd including speed camera file - I tried to load poi's onto sd card and got usual "insufficient memory " message and thought " the card has 70 odd mb free, how can it not have enough space on" - did not realise poi's were only stored on unit itself - however I have a few observations - I assume 256mb card is supplied because maps are too big for 128mb card!!!! but if the unit reads the maps from the card then why won't it also read poi's from the card? - poi loader actually says it will load poi's on to unit OR card - is this just standard wording as I have not found a way to do this and I feel it is impossible!!!
If the instruction book told you how to install poi's etc and the unit's internal memory limit this might help! I have also backed up the sd card/map to my hard drive but do not know if that ever means you can reload back to sd card if you have a problem - any ideas

hcl wrote:
Roblatus wrote:

Rob

I have been having some problems just lately trying to sort out the POI's. (I have a c310 - I did have an i3 but that's another story) -
anyway -
I posted for help on another thread and MaFt was very helpful but to no avail - HOWEVER...
I downloaded the latest version of Firmware (5.10), and POI Loader then worked hunky dory;
and to the meat of this thread...
In the course of my investigatiuons I bought a 1GB Transflash with adapter to backup the maps - it don't work - the maps are there but when put into the GPS it says Load Mapsource Disc! I presume therefore that it SHOULD be possible to use the Mapsource disk to upload the (whatever) maps????? into the GPS ???
I will try in the near future to try some POI's on it, just to see what happens ...
hcl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Maps and Cards Reply with quote

Further to my last.
I asked Garmin (USA) for a copy of Mapsource (to try and upload Maps/POI's ec), they said OK - contact UK Office. I have no answer to date ...

In the meantime I have tried various ways of loading in POI's onto the 1GB card and the GPS doesn't see them.
Conclusion:-

The Maps are read off the card each 'switch-on'

You cannot upload other maps to the card unless you use Garmins uploader system

The POI's are in Unit/onboard memory only (Though there MUST be a way in there as firmware updates from Garmin do so, so it IS possible - perhaps only via Garmin).

There is about (So Garmin says), 22MB of free memory - enough for around (so other posts say), about 30- 40,000 POI's.

(I can only get around a max of 28,000)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it work to use a transflash/sd card reader and use poi loader to load to the 'removable drive'?

i believe you would HAVE to use poi loader as it cxhanges the format from the initial csv or gpx files... can someone with a new i3 and a transflash card give this a try and let us know?!

MaFt
Greytop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just bought an I3 and was concerned about POI capacity, etc. See another thread here.
Asked Garmin.com. This is the reply:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

The newer StreetPilot i3s have the mapping pre-loaded on the internal memory of the unit so there is no need for the Micro-SD card.

There is approx 2Mb of internal memory left to store your POIs. If this
isn't enough then you can purchase a Micro-SD card and a card programmer and send them onto that."

So it seems you can use POIs installed onto a Transflash card. Can't try it as I don't have one. Of course you couldn't do that if you were using, say, a French map on a pre-loaded card, and this is the only way to obtain other maps on the new I3 I think.

Incidentally, my new I3, latest version, no card, was delivered with s/w V2.70, audio V2.50 installed , so that is what Garmin 'trust'?
Hope this helps.
guitareth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: How to fit the speed camera database on?? Reply with quote

Greytop wrote:
Have just bought an I3 and was concerned about POI capacity, etc. See another thread here.
Asked Garmin.com. This is the reply:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

The newer StreetPilot i3s have the mapping pre-loaded on the internal memory of the unit so there is no need for the Micro-SD card.

There is approx 2Mb of internal memory left to store your POIs. If this
isn't enough then you can purchase a Micro-SD card and a card programmer and send them onto that."

I've just ordered a new i3 from Comet and looking forward to delivery on Tuesday. Have been researching via this site and downloading files in readiness. I'm very concerned about this "approx 2Mb of internal memory left to store your POIs" which I might find on my new i3.

As the latest version of the speed camera database (which I just downloaded from this site) is 5.33 MB by itself, how am I to get this onto my i3??!! Crying or Very sad

Any suggestions or reassurances will be very welcome.

Thanks
Audio v2.30
HTC Desire Android Smartphone
--------------------------------------------------------

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: