Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - rider revue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

rider revue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: rider revue Reply with quote

Tom Tom Rider

Here is my first revue of the Tom Tom Rider as a courier for 16 years i do a lot of miles about 50k a year and I have had a PDA for the last 4 with Navigator v2,v3,v5 on my 3850 which has served me well with a plastic bag over it in the rain

Mounting the rider was easy less than 5 mins to have it up and running on the handlebar’s , it has a very good start’s guide (did’nt read it until I got home ) the mounting kit is very good too, but the battery cable has a lot wrong with it 1/its to stiff and does not fit in the connector so with the rider on the handlebar’s when you turn it flexes the two wires and given time they will break 2/ the big gap from the connector and the cable lets water in and runs down in side the cable to your battery so look out 3/ my battery is 9 inch wide and you only get 2 inch of wire at the end of the cable 4/ the connector will not click into place , the black mount stop it from going all the way in

The holder is good and strong but I can see trouble with the 4 connectors with salt water getting at them, make sure you blow and wipe the water off them before you use your rider oh well back to a plastic bag over it when your not using it !!

The gps receiver is very good sitting in side my house I got 7 satellites

Rider its self you cant see the screen that good in sun my 3850 is better Laughing Out Loud thank god for the BT !! and I just cant turn the damn thing on and off I’v had the button pressed for like 20 sec’s and it still wont come on thank god for the power cable auto turning it on !! (that mite be because its still new )

The software is ok with the same old map error’s and I’d still like to see the postcode on the first page and not home because I use it from 10 to 20 times a day from a 50 miles 1 drop to 6 drop 400 mile ride and the damn thing will make you ride 30 miles more to save you 30 sec’s on a ride Laughing Out Loud don’t tom tom know that bike’s overtake all the traffic so shortest route is best, BUT if you let TT do it !! it will take you down some very deadly roads and narrow roads with lots of gravel on them !! to have you off !! so look out for that one my TT v2 is best because you can set up the speed to 60 all roads and the narrow one’s are set 10 that way i did not get on them until the last mile, I would like to see set the road speed back !!!!!!!!
this sorftware is setup for cars not bikes because it will route you round the block to go the other way does TT not know how easy bikes are to do a u-turn !!! Laughing

All in all it is well made and if you DON’T have a pda one already then get a Rider
My pda with a plastic bag is just as good if not better in some ways eg a bigger screen and the nav buttons for zoom in and out so I give 7 out of 10 its good but not 599 or 499 now good maybe 399 and I’d be happy with it

Flame suite on stand by mode
Laughing

Last edited by Courierman on Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:07 pm; edited 5 times in total
SpeedTriple1050
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant revue Courierman. My Rider arrives in a few days so I'll see if I have the same probs/good things to say about it. Thanks for the advice on setting 10mph speed limits on small roads. I'll let you know how I get on.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedTriple1050 wrote:
Thanks for the advice on setting 10mph speed limits on small roads.

I think he was referring to the TTN V2 as being able to set the road speed, not the Rider.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx mod i was
Laughing
my TT v2 is best because you can set up the speed to 60 all roads and the narrow one’s are set 10 that way i did not get on them until the last mile, I would like to see set the road speed back !!!!!!!! < and this is a dig at TT
SpeedTriple1050
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up Oldboy.
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

well iv used the rider for 3 weeks now and it very good the gps is the best iv seen
but the maps are so crap in 8 out of 10 times i use them i'm off the bike looking for the house they seem to be out by upto 200 yards all the time useing the postcode it come up in a difant street 4 time it was a mile out 8O it did find the right street when i used town and street but it was still 8O out alot even with the number put in 8O i can say that TomTom v 3/5 are better them Rider Rolling Eyes good job its the summer and i can still use my 3850 TT v5 Wink
smithdiesel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Notice that TomTom rider has been reduced by £100 from High street price
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exciting that the Rider price has dropped a bit. I'm sure people will take advantage of that.
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOK OUT 8O

The holder clamp is too soft and lets the rider move about and you get drilling of the 4 connectors in the back of the rider and loss of power and have holes in the connectors at about 10.000 miles if you dont fit it properly you will brake in 500 miles

from looking at it ,its the hinge and the soft black plastic where all the movement is ,put your rider in the holder and look at the back as you pull the rider and you'll the movement

as they were you get arking and carbon on them

boy tom tom you did your home work on the rider did'nt you Rolling Eyes

and in no time you'll have 500 pound paper wate
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and now it starts !!!!

now my Rider as stoped auto turn on and charging and turn it its self on /off every 30 sec's ,and the danm thing is only 5 months old
it look like its the holder its only give me 4.9 v sometimes 4.35 v on the pins

look out PCWORLD here i come and you that have to fix it not TT
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAD NEWS 8O
rider is NOT water Proof atf the 6 hrs of rain on friday my screen was fogged and tha card slot was full of water 8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: