Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi / Maps for Ireland
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi / Maps for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Nuvi / Maps for Ireland Reply with quote

Have used new Nuvi 350 in France and Belgium with Great results. Have a trip to Kerry coming up and find the maps are somewhat restricted ! How / Can I get full mapping for Eire.

ps. Ran I3 alongside the Nuvi in Belgium, on some main roads its arrow was a little off course but major junctions came up on top of the screen on th Autoroutes
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi / Maps for Ireland Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
Have used new Nuvi 350 in France and Belgium with Great results. Have a trip to Kerry coming up and find the maps are somewhat restricted ! How / Can I get full mapping for Eire.

If you have the v8 maps then you have the latest ones that Garmin produce.

Navteq have only just completed mapping Eire, but I would guess that v9 maps will include 100% coverage and they are probably going to be released in about 9 months if Garmin stick to their usual map release cycle.
seacon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi / Maps for Ireland Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:

ps. Ran I3 alongside the Nuvi in Belgium, on some main roads its arrow was a little off course but major junctions came up on top of the screen on th Autoroutes

I also have a nuvi(310) and an i3, both using V8 UK and Ireland mapping. The mapping for Northern Ireland is excellant (I live there) however Southern Ireland is incomplete but I understand this is to be remedied some time this year!
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be off to Eire in July / August and I'm keen to have full mapping by then. So if Garmin don't come up with goods before then Rolling Eyes is there any other mapping available?
Laughing Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
Will be off to Eire in July / August and I'm keen to have full mapping by then. So if Garmin don't come up with goods before then Rolling Eyes is there any other mapping available?
Laughing Laughing

The AA navigator has the very latest Navteq maps which claim to have 100% coverage of Eire. Read the announcement here
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
Laughing Laughing

Route 66 Products are also up to date.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's guys, but having got a new Nuvi last week I'm not likely to buy an AA job or route 66.
The Nuvi has "Irish" mapping and full coverage it seems for the Northern Ireland.
Eire / Southern Ireland seems to have street level mapping for the likes of Dublin and Cork but places in Kerry and other country areas do not have full coverage! Cahersiveen for one, where I stayed last year just shows the main road.
When AA say full coverage of Ireland, Does that mean the whole joint Irish Island or does it apply to Irelend as in Northern! With southern Ireland the same as the NUVI.
Nuvi/Garmin use Navteq so I'm surprised that the AA appear to be a step ahead of Garmin Confused
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
When AA say full coverage of Ireland, Does that mean the whole joint Irish Island or does it apply to Irelend as in Northern! With southern Ireland the same as the NUVI.

When they say Ireland, I presume they mean the Republic of Ireland. The UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

There is no such place as Southern Ireland. :x

cantgetlost wrote:
Nuvi/Garmin use Navteq so I'm surprised that the AA appear to be a step ahead of Garmin Confused

Historically, Garmin have released map updated yearly and when they have the maps were already 6 months or more out of date. The AA has raised the bar considerably by releasing the very latest Navteq maps, hopefully the other sat nav makers will take this as a kick in the butt and sort out their map release cycles.

The sat nav market is hotting up and Garmin have been left behind. It will be interesting to see what their reaction is going to be!
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
When they say Ireland, I presume they mean the Republic of Ireland. The UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

There is no such place as Southern Ireland. :x

Yes, quite rightly it's the Republic of Ireland.

Fair play to to ya Skippy! Laughing
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just trying to get across the point!
Don't want to spark an international crisis Crying or Very sad

Actually Northern Ireland is not technically part of the UK. The Union Flag applies to England, Scotland and Wales Laughing
It's a province or some darn thing, any way, were all EU so who gives a fig. To much strife in the world over borders, I just want mapping that gets me around the southern roads of the "REPUBLIC"
\/ Peace Laughing
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Out Loud Laughing Laughing Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
Don't want to spark an international crisis Crying or Very sad

I may seem to be splitting hairs but this is very important to a lot of people. It's important that we get it right, especially if you are planning to go to these places. Hey, wars have been fought over such things and some of the natives can get quite grumpy about it! Wink

cantgetlost wrote:
Actually Northern Ireland is not technically part of the UK.

Yes it is, the long form of "UK" is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

cantgetlost wrote:
The Union Flag applies to England, Scotland and Wales Laughing

Umm, no. The Union Flag applies to the UK and it is made up of the red cross of St George (England), the blue saltire of St Andrew (Scotland) and the red saltire of Saint Patrick (Ireland). :P

I dunno why Wales isn't represented. Any Welsh here?
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year in the Cork locals who had worked in the north said "here in the South". Never managed to offend anyone.
Eire is a brilliant place, for anyone who has not been it is a fantastic country, just that the weather could do with tweak Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: