Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOM TOM v.s. Road Angel
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM TOM v.s. Road Angel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrManuva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM v.s. Road Angel Reply with quote

Alright guys I have been in that market for a speed camera detector (like a road angel), but just by chance I read a review of the TOM TOM ONE, in that text the reviewer stated that it is possible to upload ‘safety’ camera locations to it from the database held by pocketgpsworld.

This would obviously mean that I would have GPS based ‘safety’ camera alerts AND sat nav for less money than if I was to go out and buy a road angel.

What I would like to know……….is the TOM TOM with the camera locations loaded onto it as effective as the road angel or is the road angel slightly better for the purpose that it was solely designed for?
MrManuva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so in reading the forum some more (i know i should have done this first Embarassed ), i have found a previous poster that asked the same question as me:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=38462

the reply seemed to point that the sat nav device had the edge.....just wondering if anyone else has any views?
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMVHO ...

If you do not have a Sat Nav in the car ... the way to go is a portable Sat Nav system that supports Safety Cameras .. Consider the unit of the strenght of its Navigation .. |For instance I did not like TomToms ability to route me up one way streete the wrong way (been one way for 20 years +) and also its wish to use Motorway emergency and police exits ..

If you Do have Sat Nav in the car look at a Talex system ..
MrManuva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t have sat nav in my car (altho i would like it), so the route seems to go down the sat nav camera enabled route.

So gdavison, you don’t rate the tom tom one, in reading reviews i got the impression that this was one of the best units on the market (for the price bracket obviously). Do you or anyone else have a suggestion as to which you be a good solid device for my needs, i.e. sat nav AND camera detection (budget about £250ish)

Thanks for the reply Smile
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MrManuva,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Like a lot of things, it’s down to personal choice and preference as to which SatNav system (if any) you decide to buy. You must also remember that SatNav is a driver’s navigational aid and is no substitute for common sense. ;)

I like the TomTom GUI (Graphical User Interface), which is common across all TomTom products, and I have found it to be the best and most intuitive GUI of all the SatNav systems that I have seen.

If I didn’t have TomTom Navigator 5 on a PocketPC, I would not hesitate to buy a TomTom ONE and a yearly subscription to the PocketGPSWorld camera database.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree TomToms GUI is easy to use and I really loved the Bluetooth Function (I bought a 700) ... The TT700 was to replace a Garmin StreetPilot III which had served me solidly for over 5 years ... I agree that a GPS is a Navigation aid and at the end of the day its up to me where I point a car. I had the TT700 for 3 days .. during that time it tried to route me down some one way streets in Wokingham that I know have been one way for over 20 years ... also it tried to route me off the M4 and the M40 on the police safety exits .. Now the issue was I knew my Garmin SPIII did not do this so I replaced the TT with a Garmin C340 .. I now have routing I can "trust" and that fits with what I like ..

Now the C340 is not without fault ... the Text to speech function (ie it saying turn left into Montgomery Road) is completly broke and does not work .. despite numerous emails to Garmin they ignore this bug, the fall back is that the WAV file speech works (ie it saying turn left at next junction). If I was buying now I'd buy the C330 and save nearly 150 GBP.

I use the C340 with Speed Camera Database in one of my cars and as my other car has full manufactures Sat Nav in it I use the Talex in that one
MrManuva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys guys.......think i might pop into halfords *shudder* and have a poke of both the garmin and tom tom devices. Then which ever one i like the most i will order off the net.

Cheers Smile
gdavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing is .. and I am sorry to advise this ... Use the distant selling act to your advantage ... buy on the web and you have 7 days to return an item for Full refund for any reason... However as always check the small print on your individual purchase
MrManuva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud...thats a nice piece of information to know Smile
neilrobi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Tom Tom Go [the old one] and a Road Angel Compact. I have had them in the car side by side quite often and the camera database from this website is much more comprehensive than the Road Angel. Several times I have been warned of temporary sites that are not in the Road Angel database. I am not impressed by the database in the RA at all.
MrManuva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that absolutely nails it then...i am getting sat nav, makes you wonder how company that produces the road angel is still in business
neilrobi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my last post. I just drove about 60 miles from Banbury to Old Warden near Bedford. The TomTomGo with the database from here alerted me to 5 mobile camera sites [none of which were in use as it happens] and the Road Angel alerted me to none of them! Fixed camera sites are a different matter and the Road Angel is fine. Both databases are up to date [ i updated the Road Angel 2 days ago]. Maybe the Road Angel takes account of whether the mobile sites are going to be in use or not[do they know this?]. I do know it failed to alert me to an active mobile site near Brackley, Northants the other day that the TomTom knew about. The Road Angel does have a laser detector but I think that is a bit of a last resort method.

The best way of course is to stick to speed limits but with so many cameras and unfamiliar roads and limits I like to have a backup in case I forget.
MrManuva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I purchased a Garmin c310 the other day and uploaded the camera database from this website and I have to say that so far I am very impressed. I think this is one gadget that will actually make my life easier.
I should rename this thread to Garmin v.s. Road Angel really Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: