Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion / MobileNavigator and POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion / MobileNavigator and POI
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvincuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Medion / MobileNavigator and POI Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just bought the Medion GPS package from ALDI and it's a brilliant deal. The PDA and accesories are excellent and the route finding is very accurate. I travel a lot in my job and the software took me along two routes today that I would have gone myself (cutting through the busy sections of Birmingham). Very cool! Thumbs Up

The only downside (that I can see) is not having the ability to add custom POI files. Am I right in assuming this or does anyone know otherwise. Question

The one thing that would make this system PERFECT is the addition of POI!

PS: If you bought this package, how are you finding it so far? Also, does anyone know the actual software package that is being used?

Cheers!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK you won't be able to. Or atleast not add the POI's we have, you need to purchase TomTom Navigator 2 for this!
kkoeniger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about POI-Warner? http://www.navigating.de/MN_en/POI/Index.htm

Works with all navi-versions made by Navigon.

Free POIs can be found at http://www.poihandler.com/ , also for GB!
jvincuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: POI Warner Reply with quote

Cheers for that people! POI Warner looks quite good, although I'm not 100% sure it's fully translated? Maybe you know?

Anyways, I might consider getting TomTom navigator as there seems to be far more support for it as far as POI goes (this site for eg Exclamation ). Is it very expensive to buy the software only and any suggestions as to the best place to get it from?

Thanks again for the info.

Also, any other Medion users out there have any comments about the software/ unit?

Cheers! :D
Roy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.routeplanners.co.uk/popup_image.php?pID=257&osCsid=72927c4ae32b3d712217513b8886cbea

tomtom 2 £116inc vat. Have a look as price may vary I think

So would that work with the pda ok?
Rich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find the maps are with good details and i am quite pleased with it. Even the name of saab showroom is on the map.
kkoeniger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: POI Warner Reply with quote

jvincuk wrote:

Cheers for that people! POI Warner looks quite good, although I'm not 100% sure it's fully translated? Maybe you know?

Sorry, I dont know exactly if it is translated 100%, but from their site it looks to me as if it were.

But it can automatically syncronise all POIs from "supporting POI-dealers" as with TomTomNavigator. If your POIs are not included, ask your vendor why not - its very convenient!

Here in Austria and Germany many TomTom-useres change to Navigonsoftware, maps are newer and so more exact.
jvincuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Thanks for all your replies!

I have now installed POI-Warner (a specific version made for the Medion Navigator) and it looks EXCELLENT! Thumbs Up

So far I have configured it to automatically sync with various UK POI lists (types of POI's) and it has been really easy to use. The software connects directly to the internet via the Pocket PC's cradle/PC connection and presents you with a list of available POI's. All you then do is choose the ones you want and that's it! You can set it up to automatically synchronise the chosen POI's each time you connect the PDA to the cradle.

Brilliant! Exclamation

And it uses the same POI file format as the Tomtom navigator software.. which means you have the choice of where you get your POI's from.

Now I'm off on a little trip to see how it performs out on the road.

I'll be posting my experience with it later!

Another thing I'm impressed about is that (from what you guys have said) the Navigon software is more up-to-date and detailed than the Tomtom product. Having POI-Warner running on a Navigon based product is ace!

Cheers!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you download OV2 files ?
jvincuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the .ov2 files from your site and then used the Tomtom POI edit program to save them as .asc files (which work with POI-Warner).

I simply have to copy the .asc files and the associated bitmap into the poi folder on the PDA.

I'm not sure how Tomtom handles new POI entry, but POI-Warner allows you to assign a hardware button to a 'recording' function. When you want to add a poi (and you are at the place you want to add), you press this button and it asks you which type of poi it is (from the categories you allready have). You tap the button and it's added! It even allows you to 'fine tune' the location.. ie. to the left of where you are, the right or exactly your location.

Brilliant so far, but I will be testing it more thoroughly over the next few days.

As a thought, would it be possible to add a 'news' item to your site so that other people who have bought the Medion Navigator know that there is now a solution for the POI dilemma Question Since it works with your POI files, it's something worth shouting about as your site certainly has the most up to date and complete files.

Cheers!
kkoeniger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And wouldnt it be a great idea to add your very good POIs for GB to the sync-service. Not only the Medion-Navigator-users could profit, also TomTom-Users, as there is also a POI-Warner for those.
Roy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new to all this aswell so bare with me

Quote:
I have now installed POI-Warner (a specific version made for the Medion Navigator) and it looks EXCELLENT!
where did you download it from as I been looking and clicking on a number of links but not finding it,cheers
kkoeniger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To download and order follow the steps at: https://sslsites.de/pocketgps.de/secure_order/shop/Bestellen_Step1.php?pid=8&lan=en
Roy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers. Just downloaded it a few mins ago and on the order page now.
Roy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me again :D
Quote:
then used the Tomtom POI edit program to save them as .asc files (which work with POI-Warner).
where bouts can you get the edit program on the site?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: