Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - why not a tracer ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

why not a tracer ???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammydevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: why not a tracer ??? Reply with quote

we all register our tom toms and why is it not possible to find out where they are when they are acitvated after being stolen ???

if they can read the directions from satalites why cant the satalite tell where each one is at any given time ??

so if each gps had its own code when being used they could be traced to who ever is using them ??

daft idea or feasable?
NavEx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a good idea in theory but there are legal issues with privacy, all sat nav owners being monitered where ,how fast, and the rest

The goverment have already trialed number plates that use GPS tracking

If only the ****holes got caught it might help!

Paul
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if they can read the directions from satellites why cant the satellite tell where each one is at any given time ??

Because the GPS Units can only read the signal. They can't broadcast where they are! It's a passive system. The satellite doesn't tell the GPS where to go it just sends out a signal that the GPS can use to determine where it is. The GPS Unit itself then calculates the directions to take. The satellite don't know how many or which GPS units are using the signal.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so if each gps had its own code when being used they could be traced to who ever is using them ??

It would be good if a GPS could be killed off when it's stolen by using a unique reg code but i fear it's impractical. You would need to add a signal containing the reg codes of all stolen GPS Unit to be broadcast. It would only be effective once the GPS unit was switched back on again. You don't know how long this will be, so how long do you keep broadcasting the signal for? As the thefts rise the list will become longer. The GPS Units have no way to respond to the incoming alert so they can't confirm they have been deactivated.

It would create a situation the same as mobile phones. Got a phone with a deactivated IMEI? Find one of the many people that can re-program it for you.

Finally there already exists a system called Tracker which can be installed in cars and vehicles. It costs several hundred pounds and can trace a car to 10 meters. However the owner bears the cost and is usually added to cars that are expensive. How much more would you add to the cost of you TomTom or i3 to get the same features? The most expensive GPS Units only cost a few hundred pounds more than most insurance excesses. Would it make financial sense?
whitenight639
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: why not use GSM?? Reply with quote

as mentioned above sat nav is a passive system and only recieves info from the satalites and it would be impractical to upgrade the expensive satalites, so why cant tom tom and other sat nav manufacturers incorperate a GSM device into there devices so should a unit be stolen it can forward its loction via GSM signal as used by currently existing trackers, hell i would pay extra to know that my sat nav would be recovered and the thieves would be caught. the cheek of them, our tom tom got stolen thursday 20th aprill in nottingham whilst we were working about 15 feet from the van, i chased the guy and would hav put him in hospital had it not been for a van waiting just round the corner ready to pick him up and speed off, just before i caught up with him.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about areas without GSM coverage? Why would it be difficult for the thief to remove the SIM card etc.

I think the PIN code goes in the right direction, but TomTom need to tighten it up some more, and also enforce it when the device is connected to a PC or accessed via Telnet/serial console.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
whitenight639
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: using GSM to track stolen sat navs. Reply with quote

your from the US i take it? because the UK has a good telecomunications systems covering most of the UK and there are GSM based trackers used widely in cars security vans heavy plant ect boats ect.
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/business/sectors/wireless/gsmcoverage.html
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i would pay extra to know that my sat nav would be recovered and the thieves would be caught

Or you could have hidden it for free!!

Even if it could be tracked what are the odds that the original thief will be caught and convicted?

How much would you pay? The fees might easily outweigh the cost of a new Sat Nav.

The answer isn't satellite tracking, its taking the time to hide the Sat Nav when you are not using it. I'm sorry yours was nicked, it's not nice but but you can't take a chance. 5 seconds to hide it saves a hell of a lot more.
whitenight639
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep ur right about hiding it we normally do but in my job we're in and out of the van all the time. i think if they could be tracked even if only some models then it would deturr 80% of the opatunistic thiefs. my spelling is pants. anyway its all sorted now i got a good deal on a factory refurbished go 500. only £250.
Nematode
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
I think the PIN code goes in the right direction.....

It would be simple for TT to write a front end PIN code screen into the software. No PIN no powerup. The users would love them, the insurance co's would love them, who gives a monkeys what the thieving scrotes would think

Come on TT get your finger out
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobile phones have one or two PIN codes that can be enabled, but it doesn't stop hundreds of them a day being stolen. Even phones tied to a network can be unlocked for a few £'s.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda - these are two different things. Yes, you can unlock a phone from a carrier, but I don't think you can easily unlock a phone that is PIN locked or even Super PIN locked. Unlocking needs to be made really expensive (both money and time) to make stealing less attractive.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
xda - these are two different things. Yes, you can unlock a phone from a carrier, but I don't think you can easily unlock a phone that is PIN locked or even Super PIN locked. Unlocking needs to be made really expensive (both money and time) to make stealing less attractive.

If you enter the incorrect PIN code 3 times the phone is locked. You can obtain the PIN unlock code from your mobile network. Just as you can obtain PIN unlock codes from the Internet for a price.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I'm trying to make is that regardless what measures you add to a device to prevent theft, somewhere some one will find a way to circumvent it. Just as they do with activation codes for software.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. That's why I said you need to make that unattractive - both from a time and money point of view. You will still have the academic sport who just _has_ to get this cracked, but the average mischievious (?) person will shy away from the effort.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: