Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New GB Map Errors!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New GB Map Errors!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm

how odd...

I tried several Go in the shop all with v605 and they dont xist

just trying to e-mail the entire contents to TomTom at the moment thru their web site

could take a while
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They appear, well Leitholm does, if you type the whole name. At first it just offered Leith, followed by a lot of European places, until I completed the whole name. Which does initially make it look as if the place isn't there.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines doesn't even have Leith - only the EU ones.

Wonder if a new copy of this map would solve the problem but from another source than the shop where I tried 4 or 5 units (no doubt the same batch)
mjandar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both on my GO 700 running 5.201 with map version v568
Bolty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got the TTO after problems with my i3.

While I like the extra features, quick lock etc of the TTO, the maps aren't anything to call home about.

There are a few roads within 15 miles of where I live which have been in their current state for 4 or 5 years. According to TTO, I'm driving across a field when I use them!

Apart from that (and the fact the inbuilt POI fuel stations aren't actually where the fuel stations are) it's a great device.

Is there a map upgrade imminent?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolty wrote:
Is there a map upgrade imminent?

TomTom usually roll out Map Upgrades in May. This year, we'll have to wait and see.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Cleggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanK wrote:
A LOT of scottish (at least) villages and towns dont seem to appear on map v605!!

The streets in these places appear if you can find them on the map but the town/village name does not so you cant navigate to them (e.g. Leitholm & Greenlaw were the examples I used but there are loads more!)

Well they are both there on my OLD map V390 .......

Have you tried navigating to the city centre of each ?? It worked first time on my GO Classic. Then I advanced planned between the 2 towns with no problems.

Sorry if this doesn't help !
dbarfoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleggy wrote:

Well they are both there on my OLD map V390 .......

Have you tried navigating to the city centre of each ?? It worked first time on my GO Classic. Then I advanced planned between the 2 towns with no problems.

I can confirm that this also works on my TT1 with map v605

Dave.
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still to send the car of to Tom Tom to check. Not done so yet as got a copy of an older map which is working fine.
9pointer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: TT errors Reply with quote

Blackdog wrote:
Hello All,

My first post.

I was interested to read about the map errors discussed in the UK. It's not just here folks! I was in Germany last week and tried to plot a route from Bilefeld to Osnabruck. Well, according to John Cleese ( no disparaging comments please - he's a a comedic idle, or should that be palin) the A33 runs non-stop from Paderborn to Osnabruck crossing the A2 about half way. If anybody has Autoroute, have a quick look; there' a fifteen mile section missing from the A2 to just south of Halle. Have the Germans nicked it or was John just winding me up?

Sadly, its not just John Cleese - tried the same route today and after racing up and down the A2 a couple of times, gave up on TT and got out a map which, funnily enough, doesn't show this virtual bit of motorway Crying or Very sad
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of making myself unpopular, I've read through all this and felt a need to comment.

TT is I believe a Dutch company who has contracted another company for reliable mapping data.
In the grand scheme of things I'll bet the accuracy is on the good side of 99% and unless the Highways agency, post office and all the other government departments map data is 100% accurate then others that rely on it won't get it right.

I think it's a little unfair to throw the teddy out of the cot for minor mistakes, unless lives are at risk.
There's a work around to all of them with a little common sense.
I've found that the TT and I don't always agree on the fastest route to places, but with "back on track" being so quick, it works to my way of thinking.

A search of the WWW for reviews and comments on the the best satnav system and the Tomtom pretty much rules, with a wonderfull setup that is so simple to use.

Considering the the flaws in Windows, or your cars, or anything that costs alot of money, I'm thinking that for £250 for a TTOne it's a bloody bargin, and if it makes a mistake every now and again, it's only £250 and 99.9% of the time it's spot on the mark when you consider the massive number of addresses in the UK.

If the post office doesn't know every road in the UK, then how on earth is Tomtom or any other satnav company??

My humblest opinion :D
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR_TiGGer wrote:

Considering the the flaws in Windows, or your cars, or anything that costs alot of money, I'm thinking that for £250 for a TTOne it's a bloody bargin, and if it makes a mistake every now and again, it's only £250 and 99.9% of the time it's spot on the mark when you consider the massive number of addresses in the UK.

My humblest opinion :D

To throw my 2p in the ring......

I agree with Mr T 100% !
We pay a bloody site more our pc's and car's ect ect and they
have more inhenrant faults that the TTG...

And considering the Highways Agency, Local Traffic Management people, Council ect ect can fanny about with the roads whenever they feel like
(Or have some spare cash) How can anyone keep on top of it..

I read with much laughter all these eejit's who got routed along the top
of a narrow cliff ect ect... TTG is NOT a replacement for DRIVER JUDGEMENT!

Anyway, I love mine [Not in the way a welshman loves his Sheep] :P

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_D wrote:

I read with much laughter all these eejit's who got routed along the top
of a narrow cliff ect ect... TTG is NOT a replacement for DRIVER JUDGEMENT!

Anyway, I love mine [Not in the way a welshman loves his Sheep] :P

JD

I did find that rather funny myself, I was left wondering if people just stare at the satnav screen and ignore all the roadside warnings that are clearly visable. The 3 1/2 ton limit signs are a dead give away you'd better slow the hell down.

And yes I love mine too cos it's ok to love your tomtom but not to LOVE your tomtom Laughing
sparkingslider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all this talk of maps being out of date what about TOM TOM providing some cunning software that allows the unit to 'learn'?

This would enable, at the very least, the new roads to be added to your own unit. Amending or deleting roads would probably be more complicated but not impossible.

Not sure if this has been covered before but what do you think?
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna bet that "Adding Roads" would be a nigthmare piece of software that could work on a TT or any satnav. Possably impossable??

It's not like you can plot the entire lengh of it, and it'll needs some sort of GPS fixing for each and every point in the road.

I think it would be nice if you could somehow tell your TT not to use a particular road ever again.
For example--- The road it's sent me too today near Bacup, that's now a bloody farm track and it gated and missing half the tarmac laid before the war I think Sad A Range rover would have struggled, let alone my poor front wheel drive Trafic!!!
If I could have a button of "Find Alternative" -- "Road no longer in use" option, so it would remember and never use that road ever again in it's calculations.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: