Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is free life time subscription 2 the camera database a scam?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is free life time subscription 2 the camera database a scam?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kadhim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
I got my free membership too. It didn't come through automatically, but when I sent in the acnowledgement e-mail from when I initially submitted the cameras, my free membership appeared in about half an hour. Hardly the actions of conmen.

I see your point but whenver someone has submited a new camera why should they then beg for a membership, shouldnt they have a system wherby they should let you know asap if your auccesful,, all you hear is fancy talk of free life time membership making it so inviting to add to the database but then you never hear from them....i aint buying in to BS no more Evil or Very Mad
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
Chris_w wrote:
Quote:
I think an apology is due calling the owners of this site conmen because that is a very far cry from the truth.

I agree, apology is due. Maybe also an apology is also due to the people who have dissagreed with the charge in one way or another and have been the but of comments like:

whingers
leeches
close the door on your way out
Some people know nothing

I also have not got free life membership and am quite happy to pay a charge and contribute if I can. I just have my doubts about the amount.
Like I've said before. Everyone is entitled to their opinion without being called names.

I'd just like to point out AKO I haven't called anyone any names here or anywhere else on this forum....... do I get an apology?...... don't bother answering that.

Chris
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you guys put as much effort in giving people who deserve a free mebership

You'll probably find that someone beat you to it, when reporting the camera, maybe someone who already has free membership. You've done us all a service by reporting it and as such helped confirm it's position.

Thank you so much for your kindness and contribution to this site.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kadhim wrote:
neil01 wrote:
I got my free membership too. It didn't come through automatically, but when I sent in the acnowledgement e-mail from when I initially submitted the cameras, my free membership appeared in about half an hour. Hardly the actions of conmen.

I see your point but whenver someone has submited a new camera why should they then beg for a membership, shouldnt they have a system wherby they should let you know asap if your auccesful,, all you hear is fancy talk of free life time membership making it so inviting to add to the database but then you never hear from them....i aint buying in to BS no more Evil or Very Mad

Hardly begging - the site quite clearly said that they would be unlikely to get the free membership to everyone who was entitled to it, and even provided detailed instructions on what to do if you felt that you had been missed out.

Since it is only the first person to make the notification who is entitled to the membership, it is inevitable that some people will be disappointed; unfortunate, but inevitable.
kadhim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:

Hardly begging - the site quite clearly said that they would be unlikely to get the free membership to everyone who was entitled to it, and even provided detailed instructions on what to do if you felt that you had been missed out.

Since it is only the first person to make the notification who is entitled to the membership, it is inevitable that some people will be disappointed; unfortunate, but inevitable.

What your talking about is people who submitted before the charges were introduced im talking about new submissions within the last month..
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kadhim wrote:
I see your point but whenver someone has submited a new camera why should they then beg for a membership, shouldnt they have a system wherby they should let you know asap if your auccesful,

they do have a system whereby they let you know asap whether you have free lifetime membership. unfortunately asap does not mean within half an hour, it means as soon as possible - as soon as possiblecould mean 5 weeks later when MikeB or one of the other hard workers has had chance to actually confirm that it is a real camera location.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far the majority of those entitled to free membership now have it. Anyone that didn't receive an email invite or who has applied and has waited more than 2-3 days for a response should send us another email as occasionally we miss one or the odd few never arrive.

As for lifetime memberships for reporting cameras, we awarded seventy in March and we aim to notify successful reporters within 30 days but on occasion it may take 6 weeks. Everyone who is successful receives notification but we do not notify those who are unsuccessful.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kadhim wrote:
What your talking about is people who submitted before the charges were introduced im talking about new submissions within the last month..

No, for new submissions we award lifetime membership to the first person to notify us. Successful members will get notified within 4 -6 weeks and be automatically upgraded to life membership as seventy people were last month.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kadhim wrote:
... only if you guys put as much effort in giving people who deserve a free mebership as you do catching people trying to sell your database on ebay Wink Rolling Eyes then we would all be happy.

I feel we are getting to the point this person is making here.

I fancy someone has had their nose put out of joint after a nasty experience involving flea-bay.

Nick.
nisfo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may put my coin in the slot........

PGPSW has over 55k registered users, that doesn't happen over night.

I have run a Midlands based car club for 3 years and only managed to pull in 7k users....However I then have to pay for bandwidth which might I add sometimes isn't cheap.....

These guys run a service, that alone justifies a subscription......

Back to the 55k registered users.
Rest assured there are numerous submissions for new cameras, which means someone has to log the details and then go about confirming the data, if it's a mobile camera it may only be by chance of confirming a sighting. ( I submitted a mobile camera on a blind bend, which has not been there since).

So these things can and will somstimes take a little time, I can say this because I mantain websites, but I also have a personal life.....

Weigh it up and do the maths it aint a scam.....

PiN570 SmartST

Garmin Streetpilot
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris_w wrote:
Quote:
I'd just like to point out AKO I haven't called anyone any names here or anywhere else on this forum....... do I get an apology?...... don't bother answering that.

Chris, My post was not aimed at you personally. Why should you react like that? I was merely pointing out that other people have been called names and deserve the same courtesy as the team. Just because you dissagree with something doesn't give the right to call people names (and especially names like conmen). If I offended you in some way I apologise.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think the problem with a system like this (and I'm not saying the system is bad or anything) is that it has to be absolutely transparent. Maybe a list of submissions with names, dates, times or something like this. It may ease the pain of people who are sure that they submitted first. Even if the list was only sent to those who submitted.

Dave
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nisfo wrote:
If I may put my coin in the slot........

PGPSW has over 55k registered users, that doesn't happen over night.

I have run a Midlands based car club for 3 years and only managed to pull in 7k users....However I then have to pay for bandwidth which might I add sometimes isn't cheap.....

These guys run a service, that alone justifies a subscription......

Back to the 55k registered users.
Rest assured there are numerous submissions for new cameras, which means someone has to log the details and then go about confirming the data, if it's a mobile camera it may only be by chance of confirming a sighting. ( I submitted a mobile camera on a blind bend, which has not been there since).

So these things can and will somstimes take a little time, I can say this because I mantain websites, but I also have a personal life.....

Weigh it up and do the maths it aint a scam.....

nisfo...

I think this hits the nail on the head.

Lets not forget that PGPSW takes time and resources to keep going.

IMHO the charge isn't unreasonable and any money will be pumped back into PGPSW to improve the database and the website. Changes have already started happening (i.e. the new download mechanism).

so in the end we are all winners Smile

Chris
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is free life time subscription 2 the camera database a s Reply with quote

kadhim wrote:
nah, im sticking to my guns and think everyone else who thinks they will be rewarded the free camera database for submitting to be aware of whats happening here.. we are dealing with a bunch of conmen to put it mildly..

Whilst I take strong exception to your accusations, we have taken a look at your three submissions. I can report that:

28/03/06 The first is an unconfirmed Mobile
28/03/06 The second submission is the first for the site and so entitles you to the lifetime subscription award

04/04/06 The third is for an active camera of unknown type which does not qualify.

Normally you would receive notification of the award between 4 and 6 weeks from date of report. As you can see your earliest submission is only just 20 days old. It is also important to point out that our policy was that only subscribers would be eligible for the lifetime membership awards, I note that you are not actually a subscriber? However as you seem convinced that we are out to 'con' you I have made an exception on this occasion and awarded you one years free membership. Had you been a subscriber this would have earned you lifetime mebership.

I would add that we have never sought to 'con' anybody. It is in our interests and the wider interests of the community at large that the database survivces and improves. To do this wse must encourage submissions and we have and will continue to honour our promises in this regard.

I trust this will be the end to the matter and the unwarranted and undeserved accusations.

Last edited by Darren on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disgused at this whole thread. Even thought the starter of it appears to
have got his free membership. Rolling Eyes

I will go on the record here : I don't care if i never submit a new camera.
I don't care if I do submit and it gets verified. I wouldn't want free membersip.

It's £2 a month of £19 a Year.....

Can we get some perspective?

God help us all if someone can get so upset about this minor cost for
such a fantastic service!

JD[/b]
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: